- Cheap, Simple install
- Nothing of note
This board was stable during testing and surprisingly simple to install. If you're in the market for an affordable Socket-939 solution, this one is well worth considering.
Price$ 129.00 (AUD)
ASRock's products generally find a sweet spot between price and features and the 939SLI-ESATA2 is no exception, even though it does feature a lesser-known chipset. It's an AMD-based motherboard that uses a ULi chipset instead of an NVIDIA- or VIA-based chipset. ULi was recently acquired by NVIDIA and the particular chipset that this board uses - the ULi M1697 - is quite similar to NVIDIA's own nForce4: it is a single chip solution (it does not have a separate Southbridge and Northbridge). This chipset has support for PCI Express, Serial ATA II (SATA), RAID and 7.1 high-definition audio. The board that we looked at has two PCI Express slots that support SLI.
The ULi chipset is not the only interesting feature of this motherboard: it comes with eSATA and a "Future CPU Port". This port is located just above the first PCI Express slot and it will accommodate a riser card for an AMD AM2 slot, which will facilitate upgrades to the next generation 940-pin Athlon 64 chips. In the meantime, its 939-pin socket will support current Athlon 64, Athlon 64 X2 and Athlon 64 FX CPUs.
eSATA is a feature that allows you to plug in SATA drives externally of the PC case, as long as they are in a powered external SATA enclosure.
Setting up this board was a little tedious. We had to go into the BIOS and enable key settings that were disabled by default. Operating system installation on a 74GB Western Digital Raptor drive was smooth and testing with PC WorldBench 5 showed the board to be stable and quite zippy. Driver installation was almost stealth-like, as Windows XP found all necessary chipset drivers.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 LG G6 Plus: Full, in-depth review
- 2 First Look: Nikon D850
- 3 OnePlus 5: Full, in-depth review
- 4 Nokia 8: Full, in-depth review
- 5 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
Latest News Articles
- Traditional Aussie PC market defies global downward trend again
- Logitech say new mouse features the best optical sensor ever designed for wireless gaming
- Razer unveil new Basilisk mouse built for FPS gaming
- HyperX Unveil Heavy-Duty Gaming Keyboard
- NVIDIA Supercharges Rendering Performance with AI
PCW Evaluation Team
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
The HP OfficeJet 250 Mobile Printer is a great device that fits perfectly into my fast paced and mobile lifestyle. My first impression of the printer itself was how incredibly compact and sleek the device was.
- Huawei Y5 (2017) Review
- First Look: The Evil Within 2
- LG G6 Plus: Full, in-depth review
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - Online PokerNSW
- FTSolution Architect - Enterprise VoiceWA
- FTSenior Software DeveloperACT
- FTService Design Analyst (Service Management Specialist- ITIL)Other
- FTGeneral Manager - Security, Risk & ComplianceNSW
- CCDesktop Support Engineer - Hunter ValleyNSW
- CCReporting Analyst/Workforce Analyst - TelcoVIC
- FTMEAN Stack DeveloperACT
- FTSolution Architect - Enterprise VoiceACT
- CCDevOps Consultant - BrisbaneVIC
- FTSenior Project Manager - BI/DWOther
- FTProject Coordinator/AdministratorOther
- CCSoftware EngineerNSW
- CCDevOps Consultant - BrisbaneQLD
- FTUI / UX Lead DesignerQLD
- FTBusiness Intelligence DeveloperSA
- FTJunior .NET DeveloperOther
- CCSystems Support Specialist- Network SystemsQLD
- FTTechnical Delivery ManagerNSW
- FTInfrastructure/ Hybrid Cloud Architect - Government OrganisationVIC
- TPBusiness Program Manager - Digital TransformationNSW
- FTNon - Functional Test LeadOther
- FTBackend Java DeveloperNSW
- FTEmail Production SpecialistOther
- FTSAED CoordinatorOther