Why virtualise your NAS environment?
ASUS Designo MS246H LCD monitor
ASUS' latest LCD monitor has a distinctive design
- Aesthetically pleasing, 2ms response time, HDMI port, good performance for movies and games
- Stand isn't very sturdy, can't be wall mounted, touch-sensitive controls can cause frustration, no DVI input
The ASUS Designo M246H's most distinctive feature is its design, but it still performs admirably when compared with regular LCD monitors of a similar size. The lack of a DVI input and annoying touch-sensitive buttons may cause some frustration.
Price$ 389.00 (AUD)
Looking like a small flat-screen television instead of an LCD monitor, ASUS' Designo MS246H is one of the more interesting and stylish monitors we've reviewed. With a distinctive hollow circular stand that sits behind the monitor, the 24in, Full HD Designo MS246H manages to stick out from the crowd. It also doesn’t skimp on too many features.
The strange circle-shaped stand is the ASUS' Designo MS246H most distinctive design feature. Though it will certainly contribute to a more stylish looking office or computer room, it lacks the adjustability and effectiveness of a regular monitor stand — the screen tilts, but doesn't swivel. When placed on a flat table it tends to slide around a little too much — ASUS seems to be aware of this and so includes a plastic wedge in the sales package that keeps things a little sturdier. On the plus side, it's easy to adjust the angle of the Designo MS246H with a simple push.
The ASUS Designo MS246H's glossy white and black finish provide a distinctive look and feel, though it's prone to picking up fingerprints and smudges. The glossy surface also reflects office lighting, which can be distracting. Thankfully the screen itself has a matte finish, so reflections are minimised. The unconventional design of the MS246H means it can't be wall mounted.
A "designo" monitor wouldn’t be complete without touch-sensitive buttons. Though the soft white light certainly looks great, a button has to be pressed for the keys to light up, which is annoying. The buttons also hit and miss, often not registering presses.
The ASUS Designo M246H LCD monitor is a Full HD screen with a resolution of 1920x1080. An HDMI input means it's ideal for connecting to one of the latest high=-definition gaming consoles, including Microsoft's Xbox 360 and Sony's PlayStation 3. The Designo M246H also includes a standard VGA port, but lacks a DVI input. ASUS includes a DVI-to-HDMI cable in the sales package. Due to the design, the ASUS Designo M246H uses its own external power brick rather than a standard three-pronged cable.
Using DisplayMate, we put the ASUS Designo M246H through its paces and were generally impressed. Like most TN (twisted nematic) panels, viewing angles aren't great, with noticeable vertical colour shift. However, the Designo M246H impressed with its handling of fast motion. Games and fast-paced movies in particular benefited from the 2ms response time during our tests. Though it's not particularly geared towards office use, the ASUS Designo M246H displays sharp and clear text with no visible aberrations.
Stay up to date with the latest news, reviews and features. Sign up to PC World’s newsletters
Follow PC World Australia on Twitter: @PCWorldAu
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 ASUS FX503 review: An ROG Notebook By Any Other Name
- 2 HP Envy x360 (Ryzen 5) review: Power over portability
- 3 Oppo A73 review: The budget smartphone that sets the bar for 2018
- 4 Oppo R11s review: The iClone you know and love, but not quite the one you deserve
- 5 Blackberry KEYone Black Edition review: What the original KEYone should have been
Latest News Articles
- Asus Announces The Latest Designo Curve MX32VQ Monitor
- BenQ Celebrates Modern Sleekness with Newest Monitors for Home and Office
- AOC Unveils AG322QCX AGON Gaming Display Bolstered for Battle
- Samsung announces Australian availability for its 49-inch CHG90 QLED Monitor
- BenQ Announces the EW3270ZL Eye Care Monitor with Immaculate Colour Reproduction
PCW Evaluation Team
Touch screen visibility and operation was great and easy to navigate. Each menu and sub-menu was in an understandable order and category
The printer was convenient, produced clear and vibrant images and was very easy to use
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
- Picture Perfect: OPPO prepare their boldest smartphone yet
- Gigabyte AERO 15: Full, in-depth review
- Samsung Galaxy S9+ review: A predictably-exellent flagship uplifted by a standout camera
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
Product Launch Showcase
- CCApplications Packaging EngineerWA
- FTNetwork Services ManagerOther
- FTSenior Insight AnalystOther
- TPAgile Scrum MasterQLD
- FTProject Coordinator l PMONSW
- TPAgile CoachNSW
- FTSoftware Engineer (Java/AWS/NoSQL)Other
- FTIT Field TechnicianNSW
- CCSystem Administrator (TRIM)QLD
- CCX2 BPE Managers - TelcoVIC
- FTServer EngineerSA
- FTDigital BA x2Other
- FTData ModellerOther
- CCNetwork Infrastructure Development EngineerNSW
- TPSenior Project ManagerQLD
- FTIT Project ManagerOther
- FTProject Manager, Construction UpgradesNSW
- CCNetwork Problem Management Specialist - TelcoVIC
- CCDevOps Engineer - Cloud - GovernmentVIC
- FTSoftware EngineerOther
- FTBusiness AnalystWA
- FTSenior Transition Project ManagerOther
- FTSenior Test Analyst - Multiple rolesOther
- CCPEGA SSA DevVIC
- CCTest Analyst - SitecoreNSW