ASUS Eee PC 1000HE
ASUS' latest netbook is a slight upgrade to the Eee PC 1000E. It has a new keyboard design and better battery life.
- Design, keyboard is comfortable to type on, excellent battery life, 10in screen
- Keyboard base bounces when pressure is applied, touchpad isn’t smooth and multitouch is frustrating, no Gigabit Ethernet
ASUS' Eee PC 1000HE isn't a groundbreaking upgrade but the extra battery life is definitely welcome. The keyboard will divide people and the touchpad is a mixed bag, but this netbook is still a worthy option if you're after something light and functional.
Price$ 899.00 (AUD)
ASUS' Eee PC 1000HE netbook is almost identical to its predecessor, the ASUS Eee PC 1000H. It boasts the same 10in LED-backlit screen, 160GB hard disk drive and 1GB of RAM, but it offers a new keyboard design and boasts a longer battery life.
The notebook has a gloss black plastic finish that attracts fingerprints, but it certainly looks stylish. The large hinge feels sturdy, the display exhibits minimal flex when twisted and the chassis feels strong.
The biggest design difference with the Eee PC 1000H is the keyboard: the Eee PC 1000HE features what ASUS calls a "Chiclet" keyboard, with wider than normal gaps between keys. The keyboard's size is 92 per cent that of a conventional desktop keyboard, and the keys provide good tactile feedback (though they may be a little small for touch typists). The keyboard is also slightly louder than what we expected, and the base tends to bounce around when pressure is applied, detracting from the overall feel of this netbook in terms of build quality.
We weren't too fond of the Eee PC 1000HE's touchpad: its surface feels sticky and our fingers didn't glide across it as smoothly as we would have liked. The buttons are also too close to the edge of the netbook, meaning your fingers can easily slide off the edge, and they require a firm press. The ASUS Eee PC 1000HE's touchpad features multitouch, meaning you can use two fingers to scroll horizontally or vertically, or triple tap to right-click, for example. However, the surface of the touchpad and its relatively small size means this is not as useful as Apple's implementation — we found that turning this feature off made the overall user experience much less frustrating.
The ASUS Eee PC 1000HE runs Windows XP and our review unit was powered by a 1.6GHz Intel Atom N270 processor. According to ASUS, the Eee PC 1000HE will have two models, one that will use the newer Intel Atom N280 processor. In addition to being slightly faster the Atom N280 processor uses less power, which should increase battery life. Both models have the same price and otherwise identical specifications.
The Eee PC 1000HE has a 160GB hard disk drive and 1GB of DDR2 RAM. ASUS once again uses hybrid storage, providing 10GB of online Eee Storage. This encrypted Internet storage facility provides a free online space to store and share files, taking the total potential storage capacity of the Eee PC 1000HE to 170GB. The conventional hard drive means the Eee PC 1000HE is a little noisier than netbooks with solid-state hard drives (SSDs), and the underside of the notebook does get quite hot.
The ASUS Eee PC 1000HE includes a D-Sub port, three USB 2.0 ports, 10/100 Ethernet, headphone and microphone jacks, a 2-in-1 flash card reader that supports MMC and SD cards, and a Kensington lock slot. The lack of a Gigabit Ethernet port is disappointing. Strangely, some of our older external hard drives, such as the Maxtor OneTouch III Mini, needed to be connected to two of the notebook's USB ports to work.
In our iTunes test it took the ASUS Eee PC 1000HE 8min 58sec to encode 53min worth of WAV files to 192Kbps MP3s. This is not a great result when compared to a more expensive, regular notebook, though the netbooks in the Eee PC range haven't been designed for any serious media encoding.
The ASUS Eee PC 1000HE has a 10in screen with a native resolution of 1024x600. The display is LED backlit and performs well, though both horizontal and vertical viewing angles could be improved. Other features include Bluetooth 2.0 and 802.11n Wi-Fi, as well as a VGA webcam above the display. A couple of speakers underneath the unit do a good job of reproducing music and movie audio.
Battery life is fairly impressive. In our battery test, where we loop a video file with the screen brightness at its highest setting, the Eee PC 1000HE's 6-cell 8700mAh battery lasted just over four and a half hours. This test was conducted in super-performance mode and you will get much better results by changing the power settings. ASUS' Eee Super Hybrid Engine software allows you to select from three performance modes — power-saving mode, high-performance mode and super-performance mode.
Join the newsletter!
Breitling Superocean Heritage Chronographe 44
Nespresso Creatista Coffee Machine
cloudandco Smart Cane
WD MY PASSPORT™ X Gaming Storage
Apple iPhone X
Dyson Supersonic™ Hair Dryer Fuchsia/Iron
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-77EZ1000U
WD MY PASSPORT™ Gaming Storage
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-55EZ950U
SanDisk MicroSDXC™ for Nintendo® Switch™
Toys for Boys
Onyx Smart Walkie Talkie
Leica M10 Digital Rangefinder Camera
Ubiquiti Network’s Front Row Camera
UBTech First Order Stormtrooper Robot
Bose SoundLink Micro
Lego Mindstorms EV3
Propel Star Wars T-65 X-Wing Drone
Google Daydream View VR Headset
LaCie Rugged USB-C Portable Hard Drive
Panasonic Hi-Fi - SC-UA7GS-K
Belkin Pocket Power 10,000mAh
Amazon Echo Bluetooth Speaker
Panasonic 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player and Full HD Recorder with Netflix - UBT1GL-K
Nest Protect Smart Smoke Alarm
Toffee Bags Commuter Satchel
iRobot Roomba 980 Vaccum Cleaning Robot
WD MY CLOUD™ HOME Personal Cloud Storage
PETKIG Go Smart Dog Leash
Dearear Endear In-ear Wireless Earphones
Xbox One X
Kogan Bluetooth Soundbar
Raspberry Pi Starter Kit
Razer DeathAdder Expert Ergonomic Gaming Mouse
Urbanworx Full HD Action Camera
Lexon Flip Alarm Clock
3SIXT 3-in-1 Smartphone Lens Kit
Tile Pro Bluetooth Tracker
Fallout Geeki Tikis
Ikea NORDMÄRKE Wireless Charging Pad
Logitech Doodle Collection Wireless Mouse
Panasonic Portable Splashproof Fun - RF-D20U
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 TCL X2 review: QLED escapes the premium market
- 2 Fitbit Ionic review: Impressive but not quite iconic
- 3 Acer Spin 5 review: Value for money but conditions apply
- 4 Huawei Mate 10 Pro Review: A solid winter flagship that cribs from the best
- 5 Sony LF-S50G review: Google Assistant and then some
Latest News Articles
- CES 2018: Everything Announced By ASUS
- CES 2018: Everything Announced By Dell
- macOS High Sierra ‘root’ security issue allows admin access to your Mac—but there's a fix
- Acer attempts to woo Australian gamers with reveal of its new Predator range
- Lenovo ThinkPad celebrates 25 years of cutting edge technology
PCW Evaluation Team
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
- JBL Link 10 review
- Amazon Alexa and Echo set for Febuary launch
- OPPO Load Up A73 Smartphone With Flagship Features
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
Product Launch Showcase
- FTUtilities Contract Administrator - $34phOther
- FTManager, Data QualityOther
- CCProject Administrator - Marketing & DigitalVIC
- CCService Delivery ManagerWA
- FTICT Solution Architect - Canberra OpportunityVIC
- CCADABAS Natural DeveloperNSW
- FTCyber Security ArchitectOther
- FTSenior Test AnalystOther
- FTEmail Production SpecialistOther
- FTSenior Java DeveloperWA
- FTUI / UX Designer - UBANK - PermOther
- CCProject ManagerQLD
- CCServer Support Specialist ? Performance and Capacity ManagementNSW
- TPChange Manager | 12 month contract | $1181/dayQLD
- FTSenior Change ManagerNSW
- CCBusiness AnalystWA
- FTICT Solution Architect - Canberra OpportunityNSW
- FTSenior Sharepoint Web DeveloperOther
- CCChange ManagerNSW
- FTCyber Security Technical LeadSA
- CCBusiness Analyst - Business Process Improvement - Six Sigma Black BeltVIC
- FTDesktop EngineerOther
- CCProject Administrator OR project coordinatorNSW
- FTFront End DeveloperNSW
- FT.Net DeveloperACT