ASUS Internet Radio (AIR)
- Good sound quality, wide range of stations, excellent design
- No media streaming
The ASUS Internet Radio (AIR) is an excellent Internet radio with good sound and rock solid design.
Price$ 299.00 (AUD)
A mixture of retro and modern tech, the ASUS Internet Radio (AIR) uses your home network to access online radio stations from around the globe. Simple and easy to set up, the unit is like opening a door to the world, with music from local radio stations, as well as locations as far reaching as Africa, Brazil and even Liechtenstein. You can also tune in to stations you wouldn't think possible. We particularly enjoyed the Air Traffic Control chatter at JFK Airport in New York.
The ASUS Internet Radio can connect to the Internet using either a wired connection or a handy Wi-Fi option. Setting up the device is a breeze; using the on screen menu, all you need to do is select the wired or wireless option and fill in the details. A wired connection will automatically acquire an IP, but you will need to fill out a few extra details for the wireless connection, especially if you have a secure network.
The stations can be browsed by either genre or location. If you are in the mood for Jazz, there are a hundred jazz stations to choose from. Are you more of a rock metal fan, a fan of 1920s radio plays, fascinated by police scanners or into movie soundtracks? There are stations to cater for a diverse variety of tastes. Alternatively, you may just want to listen to music from a specific country or region of the world. The list of countries is extensive but not quite complete. While we regularly came across countries we never expected, our quest for music from the central African country of Chad left us bitterly unsatisfied.
Once you find a station that tickles your fancy you can add it to your favourites list. The first five favourites can be accessed using the five shortcut buttons on the front of the device which is an especially handy feature.
The sound quality via the integrated speaker is good at moderate levels, but tends to distort at higher levels with a marked degree of chassis resonance. However, if the speakers are not to your liking, there is also RCA audio-out ports on the rear and a headphone jack on the front of the device. There is also a 3.55mm auxiliary input jack on the rear to hook up external devices to the AIR, although the manual and the menus are not clear on how to pass the audio through.
The ASUS Internet radio is a great product and is on par with the extremely similar Noxon Noxon iRadio. However, this device is different in that it does not stream audio from a PC. All in all, this is an excellent device and will provide exciting, diverse and unlimited entertainment.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei P10 smartphone review
- 2 Huawei P10 Plus phone: Full, in-depth review
- 3 Motorola Moto G5 smartphone review
- 4 Oppo A57 phone: full, in-depth review
- 5 Moto G5 Plus phone: full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Plex Cloud is now open to all paid users
- YouTube launches streaming TV service with 40 channels and unlimited cloud DVR storage
- Up next for Apple TV: 4K streaming reportedly in the works
- Apple’s original TV shows are almost ready for prime time
- Apple snags Amazon Fire TV exec to lead Apple TV efforts
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- Asus launches laptops to start Computex 2017
- LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- Huawei P10 Plus phone: Full, in-depth review
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - online gamblingNSW
- CCPenetration Test Analyst or Ethical HackerACT
- FTEnterprise ArchitectVIC
- TPJunior Node.js DeveloperVIC
- FTSenior Analyst Programmer - Equities or DerivativesNSW
- FTSupport OfficerSA
- FTNetwork EngineerQLD
- FTIT Field Services ManagerNSW
- TPSenior Test AnalystQLD
- FTDigital Marketing Manager | Initial 6 Month ContractNSW
- FTEnterprise Architect - BusinessQLD
- FTHealthcare Integration Support/ Junior DBA - Brisbane BasedQLD
- FTFull Stack DeveloperNSW
- FTNetwork Engineer - IP routing & switchingNSW
- CCCloud Architect - AWSVIC
- FTChange AnalystQLD
- FTWeb Developer - 2 PositionsQLD
- FTBusiness AnalystACT
- FTProject Control AnalystSA
- TPFront End .NET DeveloperQLD
- FTSoftware TesterACT
- FTBusiness Development Manager IT Software & Primary HealthcareQLD
- FTSenior Solution Designer, Investment and Trading PlatformNSW
- FTSenior Front End Developer - BRISBANEVIC
- CCProgram ManagerVIC