ASUS MyPal A730W Pocket PC
- Excellent display quality
- Low battery life, blurry photos
The ASUS MyPal A730 packs a lot of features into an attractive package, but it could make better use of some of them.
Price$ 899.00 (AUD)
The MyPal A730's 3.7" screen is one of the best-looking PDA displays we've seen, with bright, vivid colours and sharp text. It's also one of the few PDA screens with VGA (640 x 480) resolution. The A730 runs Windows Mobile 2003 OS Second Edition, which allows you to rotate the screen into landscape orientation--a definite plus for working on things like spreadsheets.
The A730 has two memory card slots, one for reading CompactFlash cards and the other for reading SD or SDIO cards. It has full-duplex sound capabilities for playing back and recording sound; but it lacks 802.11 wireless networking circuitry. On the other hand, you can use its Bluetooth wireless adapter to connect to the Internet through a cell phone; I found this feature easy to set up and use.
The removable 1100-milliampere-hour battery provides an adequate battery life of around three hours in general use--significantly less than many Palm OS devices, but probably enough for a day's work. You can buy spare batteries for extended days and longer trips, though the only way to charge them is in the PDA itself. The included SmartKeeper software will automatically back up the data in the onboard memory to a memory card, thereby preserving the data if the battery runs out completely.
The A730 also has a built-in camera capable of taking photos (at a maximum resolution of 1280 x 970) and short videos. ASUS refers to an included light as a flash, but it's really just a white LED that can't illuminate anything beyond a couple of feet. The camera takes adequate pictures, but the images are somewhat blurry (especially in low-light situations) and their quality is on a par with what you'd get from a typical camera phone.
The 520-MHz XScale processor is speedy, but slower than the 620-MHz processor found in high-end iPAQs and in the Dell Axim X30.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Samsung Galaxy Note 8: Full, in-depth review
- 2 Huawei Y5 (2017): Full, in depth review
- 3 LG G6 Plus: Full, in-depth review
- 4 First Look: Nikon D850
- 5 OnePlus 5: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Huawei go big on AI, announce Mate 10 + Mate 10 Pro
- Huawei's flagship tech trickles down to mid-tier with new Nova 2i smartphone
- Incipio Adds Pixel 2 Cases To Roster
- Survey: 20% of Aussie Apple users wouldn't switch to Android for a million dollars
- Tech21 Announces New Phone Protection For Google Pixel 2 and Google Pixel 2 XL
PCW Evaluation Team
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
- Canon 6D MK II
- Panasonic’s EX600U UHD HDR TV + HTB688 soundbar:
- Which case should I buy for the Samsung Galaxy Note 8?
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
Product Launch Showcase
- TP.Net Web DeveloperSA
- FTHelpdesk AnalystOther
- FTFunctional Support Consultant (GIS)Other
- FTChange AnalystOther
- CCLean Six Sigma Black Belt 6 month contractVIC
- CCSCCM EngineerNSW
- FTProject CoordinatorACT
- CCJunior Security AnalystNSW
- FTDigital Business Project Manager, MediaOther
- CCDesktop Support/ Field Services EngineerQLD
- FTBusiness Development Manager - IT RecruitmentOther
- TPProject ManagerVIC
- FTService Desk Level 2 Support ConsultantOther
- FTIT Service Delivery ManagerOther
- FTSAP Lead Solution ArchitectOther
- PTMultiple Security AnalystsACT
- CCService Delivery ManagerNSW
- FTProject Manager unique start up opportunity.NSW
- FTRecruitment Contract SpecialistNSW
- CCDevOps Developer (Brisbane Location)VIC
- FTProgram Director - Telecommunications (FTK, CW and SAED)Other
- FTexecutive OfficerOther
- FTPayments Business AnalystVIC
- CCSCRUM MasterVIC
- FTPre Sales Architect - Cyber SecurityACT