ASUS Travelite HS-1000W
A pricey and portable wireless headset.
- Portable, capable of loud volume, comfortable
- Expensive, sound lacks clarity, microphone's "noise cancellation" doesn't work very well
The ASUS Travelite HS-1000W headset is comfortable to wear and easy to transport. Unfortunately it is also very expensive, and its sound reproduction suffers from a lack of clarity.
Price$ 149.00 (AUD)
The ASUS Travelite HS-1000W is a wireless headset that operates on the 2.4GHz frequency band. While it is portable and produces plenty of volume, the headphone speakers themselves are quite small, limiting the quality of the audio.
The HS-1000W comes with a nifty USB dongle that has a mini-USB port on one side. When connected to the headphones, this acts as the charger for the Lithium-Polymer battery. The battery lasted 6hr 49min in our music rundown test. The HS-1000W has no other connection, so users won't be able to plug it into a microphone or headphone port.
The HS-1000W’s control system comprises four buttons on the right ear piece. Users can switch the device or the microphone on and off with the power button, depending on how long the button is depressed. Volume control keys sit on either side of the power button, and a "link" button pairs the headset with the dongle.
Wireless headphones are not expected to provide the same level of audio quality as their wired cousins, and the HS-1000W is no exception. Although there is very little distortion, the 40mm speakers deliver sound that is slightly closed in, without enough individual frequency definition.
Fortunately, most users will be surprised by the HS-1000W's volume. Even when turned to the highest settings, distortion was kept to a minimum, although the lack of clarity remained an issue. The bass was light, but that is to be expected from such small drivers.
The headset is quite comfortable to wear once it has been adjusted. Thanks to its light weight, keeping it on for a long time won't strain your neck.
A key selling point of the HS-1000W is its portability. Once the headset has been folded inwards it can be stored in the included hard-shell case along with the dongle and mini-USB cable. This makes it easy to bring it along to LAN events or carry it in laptop bags for Skype calls.
Although ASUS claims that the built-in microphone has noise-cancellation capabilities, we found that environmental noise seeped in. Having said that, the quality will be fine for VoIP conversations and in-game chatting.
All in all, the HS-1000W will not satisfy audiophiles that cringe at a lack of crystal clear treble notes and bowel-clenching bass. But if you're looking for a set of small headphones that are portable, provide decent audio reproduction and can be used for VoIP on the run, then it's worth looking into.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei P10 smartphone review
- 2 Huawei P10 Plus phone: Full, in-depth review
- 3 Motorola Moto G5 smartphone review
- 4 Oppo A57 phone: full, in-depth review
- 5 Moto G5 Plus phone: full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Apple's AirPods could deliver audio with multiple wireless protocols
- First look: Nuheara IQbuds smart Bluetooth ear buds do more than just music
- Convoy International restructures business focus
- Beats Solo2 headphones go wireless for $399
- Astro A38 review: A staggering price to pay for convenience
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- Asus ROG Strix Z270F Gaming motherboard review
- The simple RAM buying guide
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - online gamblingNSW
- FTDevelopment LeadVIC
- CCWeb DesignerQLD
- CCJunior .NET DeveloperQLD
- CCBusiness Process AnalystNSW
- FTService Desk Analyst Level 1 SupportQLD
- CCDevOps EngineerNSW
- TPSenior .Net DeveloperQLD
- FTUrgent -Java Developer (Programmer). 3 different positionsACT
- FTUX DesignerNSW
- FTElectronic Payments POS Business Analyst - Permanent - North Ryde areaNSW
- FTSenior Business Analyst - GROUP LIFE INSURANCENSW
- CCFront End DeveloperNSW
- FTSolution Architect - Datacentre / StorageVIC
- CCDevOps EngineerVIC
- TPProgram Governance Lead (PMO)VIC
- CCInfrastructure Project ManagerNSW
- FTApplication Support EngineerACT
- CCSoftware & Applications Programmer/DeveloperACT
- CCSalesforce Marketing CloudNSW
- FTSolution ArchitectSA
- CCIT Security Risk AnalystVIC
- FTCustomer Support Team LeadNSW
- PTRecords and Information Management OfficerNSW
- FTProgram SchedulerVIC