- Overall solid performance
- Some small stuttering over distance
This is an excellent router for short-range file transfers and can be tailored to provide great performance over long distances, up to 50m away.
Price$ 330.00 (AUD)
Using the third generation of Airgo's True MIMO (multiple-in, multiple-out) chipset, Asus has laid claim to having the world's first 802.11g wireless router (for an ADSL or cable connection) that is faster at transferring data than a wired 10/100 Ethernet network.
With a wireless speed rating of 240Mbps (megabits per second), the Asus WL-566gM can theoretically move data at up to 30MBps. A 100Mbps Ethernet connection tops out at 12.5MBps. Theoretical speeds are never reached when transferring data across networks, mainly due to data overheads and encryption (we tested with WPA AES).
To gauge the real-world Ethernet and wireless performance of the router, we connected two PCs to its 10/100 Ethernet ports and we also used a notebook equipped with an Asus WL-106gM wireless adapter and conducted data transfer tests.
Our 717MB test file was transferred over the 10/100 Ethernet ports at an average of 8.14MBps. With the wireless network, over a distance of 1.5m the same file averaged a data throughput of 6.18MBps. This transfer rate did not beat the Ethernet connection for speed, but it's the fastest rate that we have moved data across a wireless network. At a 10m distance, the same file averaged 5.35MBps.
However, the quick transfer rates of this router did not translate to faultless video streaming across a wireless network. Set at 240Mbps, we experienced occasional stuttering while watching DivX files from our file server (at 10m away), something we had not experienced with MIMO routers in other tests. Throttling the wireless speed to 108Mbps fixed this problem.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 LG G6 Plus: Full, in-depth review
- 2 First Look: Nikon D850
- 3 OnePlus 5: Full, in-depth review
- 4 Nokia 8: Full, in-depth review
- 5 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
Latest News Articles
- ASUSTOR and Seagate Technology Bring IronWolf Health Management to ASUSTOR NAS
- NBN hooks up 6 million homes and businesses
- Wi-Fi Alliance introduces a certification program for new smart home construction
- Google's Espresso networking tech takes SD-WAN to internet scale
- Netgear expands its Orbi Wi-Fi system into a product family, adding two less-expensive models
PCW Evaluation Team
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
The HP OfficeJet 250 Mobile Printer is a great device that fits perfectly into my fast paced and mobile lifestyle. My first impression of the printer itself was how incredibly compact and sleek the device was.
- Dishonored - Death Of The Outsider review:
- LG G6 Plus: Full, in-depth review
- MSI GE73 VR Raider Gaming Laptop review
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - Online PokerNSW
- FTSenior Test AnalystQLD
- CCTechnical Business AnalystQLD
- FTProject SchedulerQLD
- CCOrganisational Change & Deployment SpecialistVIC
- CCData & Reporting AnalystVIC
- FTExperienced Application DeveloperSA
- TPWeb DeveloperSA
- TPSenior Business AnalystQLD
- FTeCommerce Integration Support DeveloperVIC
- FTData DeveloperOther
- FTJunior-Mid level .Net/Front-End DeveloperQLD
- FTPortfolio Manager/ Process Methodology Manager.Other
- FTMicrosoft Analyst ProgrammerOther
- FTInventory Planning AnalystOther
- CCReporting Analyst - TelcoVIC
- FTTDM ConsultantOther
- FTINTEGRATION DEVELOPERSA
- FTDelivery ManagerVIC
- FTCRM Business Analysis Senior ConsultantOther
- FTInfrastructure ArchitectVIC
- FTWorkforce Planning AnalystOther
- FTJunior Applications Support AnalystOther
- CCProject MangerNSW
- FTProject Manager | Intelligent Transport Software DeliveryOther