ASUS WL-HDD 2.5
- Customisable hard disk capacity, wireless compatibility
- No USB 2.0 or gigabit Ethernet, quite pricey
The WL-WDD is great for users who want portable storage that's compatible with wireless technology.
Price$ 199.00 (AUD)
The ASUS WL-WDD is designed to be used over a wired 10/100 Ethernet or 802.11b/g wireless network.
Ideal for business or home users, it provides a location all computers can access to dump files (data, music, videos etc), possibly eliminating the need for a file server. In effect, it's a simple NAS (network attached storage) device.
The WL-HDD is sold without a hard disk, so users can add a 2.5" notebook hard disk of their own choice and capacity. The device can also act as a wireless access point and allow a wireless Internet connection to be shared over a network. Both WEP and WPA encryption are provided to help secure the connection and files. For feedback, four LEDs indicate the status of active connections.
The WL-WDD is also equipped with a USB 1.1 connection, primarily designed to automatically copy data from USB storage devices. Gigabit Ethernet would have been nice, as would have USB 2.0, but as things stand, this is a fantastic little device that could be extremely useful for a wide variety of users.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei Mate 10 Pro Review: A solid winter flagship that cribs from the best
- 2 Google Pixel 2 review: not quite 'pixel perfect' but damn close
- 3 Huawei Nova 2i review: Flagship features get smuggled into the mid-tier
- 4 Moto X4 review: This is what a world without MotoMods looks like
- 5 Giabyte Aorus X9 Gaming Laptop review: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- QNAP Releases QTS 4.3.4. Beta for x86-Based NAS
- QNAP ships world’s first Ryzen NAS, promising boosted Virtual Machine performance
- QNAP Rolls out Quad-core 4-bay TS-453BT3 Thunderbolt 3 NAS Tailored for Creative Professionals
- Synology Introduces New Data Storage Solutions for Home and Small Offices
- Western Digital moves on Oz consumers with new storage offering
PCW Evaluation Team
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
- Huawei Mate 10 Pro review
- Dell Inspiron 5675 Gaming Desktop review
- Legion Y520 Gaming Laptop review
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
Product Launch Showcase
- FTFrontEnd Angular DeveloperOther
- CCSenior Web DeveloperNSW
- FTNetwork Engineer, Voice & DataOther
- FTBusiness Analyst - InsuranceOther
- FTTechnical Business AnalystOther
- FTSenior Business Analyst - WealthOther
- CCIntegration AnalystVIC
- FTSenior Procurement Manager- Government BackgroundOther
- FTBusiness Analyst - eCommerce/Supply ChainOther
- CCIseries Analyst ProgrammerNSW
- FTSocial Media SpecialistOther
- FTMid-Level Drupal Developer (Brisbane Location)SA
- CCTech PM - SecurityNSW
- FTClass Super - Application Support Analyst - SMSF solutionsOther
- CCScrum MasterQLD
- FTTechnical/ Architecture Java LeadVIC
- FTJava DeveloperOther
- FTSenior Network Designer - Australian Citizenship RequiredOther
- FTSenior Network Engineer - Client TechnologiesOther
- TPProject SchedulerQLD
- FTLead PHP DeveloperNSW
- FTBusiness Process Improvement SpecialistNSW
- FTUI Designer | ContractOther
- TPMicrosoft Cloud Infrastructure Solution ArchitectQLD
- FTSenior Salesforce DeveloperOther