Atari Australia The Witcher
- Amazing, vibrant graphics featured in a realistic world; fascinating and flawed characters; your morally ambiguous choices and situations directly affect the storyline; battle system is dynamic, with tons of options
- Atrocious load times are the one glaring error in an otherwise amazing game
The Witcher is an extremely fun game with the nasty habit of succumbing to narcolepsy at the most inappropriate moments.
Price$ 89.95 (AUD)
The Witcher isn't some boring old RPG
The combat system is one of the most innovative out there, with fighting centred around timed movies featuring multiple stances depending on who Geralt is fighting -- as well as multiple styles of swordplay and magic Signs. You can train your abilities in each stance in order to master a style, or improve generally across the board.
The Witcher isn't a game for the impatient
We recommend playing the game with a novel handy, or better yet, your favourite handheld console. The load times are atrocious, and you will spend upwards of five minutes or more loading between screens, and this includes opening a door and stepping into a room. Because of the loading issues, ambushed combat can be a pain, since your opponents have already begun to take their whacks before you have even loaded into the fight.
As far as we can tell, this is the only downside to this game, but in an action-RPG it's a pretty glaring fault. We wouldn't go so far as to say it makes the game unplayable, but the loading issues definitely keep this from being the perfect game it could have been. We would love to see this title moved to a console, where the controls could be streamlined and hopefully the load times reduced.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei P10 smartphone review
- 2 Huawei P10 Plus phone: Full, in-depth review
- 3 Motorola Moto G5 smartphone review
- 4 Oppo A57 phone: full, in-depth review
- 5 Moto G5 Plus phone: full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Watch us play Vanquish on PC
- Tannenberg expands Verdun's World War I horrors to the Eastern front
- MSI Wins Computex Best Choice Award 2017 for a Record-Breaking 5 Products
- Destiny 2: The 5 key things PC gamers need to know
- The Windows 10 Game Bar: What PC gamers need to know
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- Asus ROG Strix Z270F Gaming motherboard review
- The simple RAM buying guide
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - online gamblingNSW
- CCBusiness Change ManagerNSW
- FTSolution ArchitectNSW
- TPProject Manager | Applications and Project InitiationQLD
- CCSenior Data EngineerVIC
- FTEnterprise Security ArchitectQLD
- CCSenior Business AnalystNSW
- FTBI and Report DeveloperQLD
- CCBusiness Analyst - Banking/FinanceNSW
- CCSenior Project Manger - Global MarketsVIC
- TPNode.js DeveloperNSW
- CCSenior Digital BANSW
- TPData Migration LeadNSW
- CCInfrastructure Test ManagerNSW
- FTSenior Project ManagerNSW
- FTIteration ManagerQLD
- FTProject Control Analyst - PMOVIC
- CCPega DeveloperNSW
- FTChange ManagerQLD
- TPBusiness Analyst - ImprovementQLD
- FTTeam LeaderSA
- FTSAP ISU Billing Consultant - FunctionalVIC
- FTL&D Manager, Transformation Program in Finance ServicesNSW
- TPSolution Architect - Medical ImagingQLD
- FTSecurity ConsultantVIC