- Excellent clarity and definition, able to handle immense amounts of volume, exceptional design
- Slight flatness in high frequencies, limited control options
The audioengine A5 is one of the best set of speakers that we've seen, delivering exceptional performance for music and movies.
Price$ 599.00 (AUD)
The audioengine A5 (also known as audioengine 5) is a set of stereo hi-fi speakers. Delivering excellent quality, along with an extremely solid and sturdy design, they're some of the best hi-fi speakers we've seen to date. Everything about them screams quality - from their custom design, to the sheer power at which they're able to output sound, the A5 is a top-notch product.
Audio performance on the A5 is the best we've heard yet on a pair of hi-fi speakers. With a well-balanced range, the A5 delivers audio of any genre with exceptional clarity and definition. During testing, we were enthralled by everything from Puccini's Madama Butterfly to Jimi Hendrix's All Along the Watchtower to Outkast's GhettoMusick. From the soaring vocals in Madama Butterfly, to the throbbing bass of GhettoMusick, every note was clear, sharp and well defined. Even more impressive, the A5 is capable of maintaining this clarity at very high volumes. The only problem that we noticed during testing was that treble tended to be ever-so-slightly flat at the highest ranges. Everything else was exceptional, however, with sharp, thumping bass and a clear, crisp midrange.
One of the most impressive aspects of the A5 is the sheer power that it's capable of outputting. We found a comfortable listening level at about 25% volume, and didn't dare go much past 60% for fear of damaging our ear drums. Throughout this entire range, we didn't notice any diminished clarity - this is actually the first hi-fi system where we've hit unreasonably loud volumes before noticing distortion. The inbuilt 5" woofers deliver powerful and thumping bass, although the lack of a separate subwoofer means that you won't get that vibrating rumble.
Already impressed with the speakers' music performance, we decided to hook them up to our home entertainment setup to see how they fare for home theatre use. Again, we were overwhelmed. Watching Full Metal Jacket, every yell from Gunnery Sergeant Hartman, every thumping chopper rotor, and every gunshot and explosion, came in crystal clear. The A5 had no problems at all handling both the bass-heavy firefights and the accompanying musical score at the same time, and it easily rivaled some of the better home theatre systems that we've seen. Although they're only two-channel (ie, not surround sound), the A5 speakers should appeal to any movie lover.
Everything about the design of these speakers has been geared towards delivering the best possible audio quality, and what's more, it's been done without compromising aesthetics. Coming with a solid black or white casing, the speakers are actually quite heavy, and even at the highest volumes, the rugged design prevents noticeable distortion from vibration. Audioengine has really gone all out with the design here, even to the point of using a Kevlar woven composite in the woofers (Kevlar is the material used in a lot of modern body armour). Although we weren't able to do any tests to determine whether or not the woofers are bulletproof, the sheer amount of volume they're capable of producing without distortion is testament to their durability.
The back panel of the main speaker is a simple affair, with power outlets, copper wire outputs that go to the other speaker in the pair, and 3.5in stereo input jacks. The volume knob is located on the front of the unit, although there's no separate knobs for treble and bass, and no remote is included, which may be slightly irritating, especially for users planning to use the A5 as home theatre speakers.
Overall, the audioengine A5 is one of the best hi-fi systems we've seen thus far. Capable of handling anything from opera to R&B to movies, it comes highly recommended to any user in the market for high-quality, powerful stereo speakers.
Join the newsletter!
WD MY PASSPORT™ Gaming Storage
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-55EZ950U
Dyson Supersonic™ Hair Dryer Fuchsia/Iron
Nespresso Creatista Coffee Machine
Bang and Olufsen BeoVision 14
SanDisk MicroSDXC™ for Nintendo® Switch™
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-77EZ1000U
WD MY PASSPORT™ X Gaming Storage
cloudandco Smart Cane
Apple iPhone X
Toys for Boys
PETKIG Go Smart Dog Leash
Amazon Echo Bluetooth Speaker
Panasonic Hi-Fi - SC-UA7GS-K
iRobot Roomba 980 Vaccum Cleaning Robot
Xbox One X
Dearear Endear In-ear Wireless Earphones
Panasonic 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player and Full HD Recorder with Netflix - UBT1GL-K
WD MY CLOUD™ HOME Personal Cloud Storage
Toffee Bags Commuter Satchel
Urbanworx Full HD Action Camera
Ikea NORDMÄRKE Wireless Charging Pad
Razer DeathAdder Expert Ergonomic Gaming Mouse
Kogan Bluetooth Soundbar
Panasonic Portable Splashproof Fun - RF-D20U
Raspberry Pi Starter Kit
Lexon Flip Alarm Clock
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei Mate 10 Pro Review: A solid winter flagship that cribs from the best
- 2 Google Pixel 2 review: not quite 'pixel perfect' but damn close
- 3 Huawei Nova 2i review: Flagship features get smuggled into the mid-tier
- 4 Moto X4 review: This is what a world without MotoMods looks like
- 5 Giabyte Aorus X9 Gaming Laptop review: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Foxtel Now's new streaming device launched weeks after TelstraTV
- Logitech announce new MX Sound speakers
- Telstra looks to solve 'Entertainment Exasperation' with new 4K Telstra TV
- Sonos reveals Sonos One, an Alexa-enabled speaker that will support AirPlay 2 and Google Assistant
- Bose Introduces Tiny New Bluetooth Speaker
PCW Evaluation Team
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
- Huawei Mate 10 Pro review
- Dell Inspiron 5675 Gaming Desktop review
- Hands On: Our first impressions of Sony's a7R III
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
Product Launch Showcase
- TPSenior Business AnalystNSW
- CCDevelopment Lead - Java - TelcoVIC
- TPPrincipal Data AnalystQLD
- CCSenior Siebel DeveloperACT
- FTSenior Business AnalystOther
- FTData AnalystOther
- FTMaximo EngineerOther
- TPProject OfficerVIC
- FTBusiness AnalystVIC
- FTJunior Infrastructure EngineerACT
- CC.Net DeveloperWA
- CCITSM Integration Solution ArchitectNSW
- FTInfrastructure Design Engineer, DC Power, CommunicationsOther
- CCMid-level SAP Architect - Brisbane basedVIC
- FTApplication Support Analyst - SMSF solutionsOther
- FTDigital Content ProducerOther
- FTSERVICE DESK - ENTRY LEVELSA
- FTSystems/Business AnalystACT
- FTSenior Business ConsultantOther
- FTDigital Account StrategistSA
- FTSAP PSCD Analyst and PSCD FunctionalistOther
- FTDevOps Engineer - Financial ServicesOther
- FTSystems AdministratorOther
- FTChange Analyst, Transformation, SAPOther
- FTSenior Project Controls Officer / CoordinatorOther