Why virtualise your NAS environment?
Avanquest Small Business Pro
- Adequate features
- Ugly counter-intuitive, poorly made, missing obvious essential features, slow performance
Small Business Pro looks like it has all the features you would need in a financial package but is actually rather shoddy.
Price$ 121.80 (AUD)
Avanquest's Small Business Pro 2006 is a cheap, quirky, and ultimately unsatisfying grab-bag of disparate business tools. At first glance, its long feature list seems to offer great value, but compared with other accounting programs, it's too expensive and far too unpolished.
The shipping package of this single-user application includes tools for accounting, financial forecasting, and business plan creation. A payroll feature, the one obvious omission, will arrive with the 2007 version. Small Business Pro's licensing features are unusually customizable. You can buy additional user licenses for each individual accounting module. This is useful if, for example, you have more sales people (who need access to customer information) than accountants (who work in the general accounting module). Unfortunately, the multiple-license scenario requires an IP-based network, and the client and server software can't run on the same machine, which makes Small Business Pro less flexible than small-business accounting programs that can run client software on the data server.
The small-business accounting functions are adequate though largely unimpressive. Unfortunately, an ugly, non-intuitive user interface makes them exceedingly hard to use. Rather than using Windows-style drop-down menus, most Small Business Pro modules depend on clickable Web-style icons, which you have to mouse over for help in figuring out what they do.
The app's menus aren't its only awkward feature. Unlike QuickBooks, which uses easy-to-understand language, Small Business Pro has its own wacky take on accounting jargon. The software is laden with typos ("Wokspace," for example, evidently means Workspace), shows a shaky grasp of accounting terms (using the term "bank synchronization" for bank reconciliation), and mislabels some features (clicking on the Income Tax Preparation icon does not prepare income tax). A clue to the language issues is the logo "Powered by Inventime," a French accounting program.
The application ran like a slug on my 2.4-GHz Pentium 4 PC with 768MB of RAM. Avanquest says that it's correcting the typos and terminology with a pending service patch release. It's also working on the performance issues.
Small Business Pro comes with Design and Print Business Edition (a desktop publisher) and Web Easy Professional 6 (a Web site creator), both of which have relatively conventional and understandable Windows user interfaces. Design and Print is basic but usable, though an included clip art CD offers dated 1998-era graphics. The Web Easy app is better suited to creating personal and hobbyist sites than a small-business site.
Overall, Small Business Pro is no match for either Intuit QuickBooks or Microsoft Office Small Business Accounting. If you don't want to pay a couple hundred bucks for these programs, the US$50 you'd spend on Simply Accounting Basic from Sage Software is a better investment than this funky French import.
Small Business Pro 2006 is available to purchase from the Avanquest website.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 ASUS FX503 review: An ROG Notebook By Any Other Name
- 2 HP Envy x360 (Ryzen 5) review: Power over portability
- 3 Oppo A73 review: The budget smartphone that sets the bar for 2018
- 4 Oppo R11s review: The iClone you know and love, but not quite the one you deserve
- 5 Blackberry KEYone Black Edition review: What the original KEYone should have been
Latest News Articles
- JBL take smart speakers back to the living room Link 300
- Sonos say Aussie Alexa support for One smart speaker won't arrive until Autumn 2018
- Transport for NSW boosts digital experience with Amazon Alexa
- Irdeto Acquires Denuvo
- Businesses jump on Amazon’s Alexa after Australian launch date revealed
PCW Evaluation Team
Touch screen visibility and operation was great and easy to navigate. Each menu and sub-menu was in an understandable order and category
The printer was convenient, produced clear and vibrant images and was very easy to use
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
- Picture Perfect: OPPO prepare their boldest smartphone yet
- Gigabyte AERO 15: Full, in-depth review
- Samsung Galaxy S9+ review: A predictably-exellent flagship uplifted by a standout camera
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
Product Launch Showcase
- FTContract Obligations Manager - Telco - 2 year Max Term - Nth SydneyNSW
- CCSolution ArchitectWA
- FTBusiness Analyst (Infrastructure/ Office Relocation)Other
- TPSenior Technical Business AnalystQLD
- CCAutomation Tester - Selenium Web DriverVIC
- FTWebmethods DeveloperOther
- FTAgile CoachOther
- FTHosting/Virtualisation ArchitectACT
- TPSenior Full stack Developer (Java)ACT
- FTSalesforce CRM Scrum Product OwnerOther
- FTStakeholder Engagement Lead x2 (Land Access)Other
- FTSenior Project CoordinatorOther
- FTProcurement sales managerOther
- CCOperational Readiness ExpertVIC
- TPBusiness AnalystQLD
- FTHealthcare TesterVIC
- CCOffice365 SpecialistNSW
- FTSenior BA ( Squad BA)Other
- FTHelp desk Support AnalystOther
- FTService Delivery CoordinatorVIC
- CCUDS DeveloperNSW
- FTSenior Developer - Funds Management Product: C# .Net DeveloperOther
- FTData Centre Support Engineers (VMWare/ Windows Server)Other
- FTTechnical BA/Scrum MasterOther
- FTSenior AX Developer / Team LeadOther