Avanquest TurboCAD 15 Deluxe
21 years old!
TurboCAD 15 Deluxe is a superbly specified and good value-for-money CAD program which has versatility on its side. It’s suitable for a wide variety of uses inclusive of architectural technical drawing, 3-D rendering and specialist design. TurboCAD 15 Deluxe isn’t best suited for the beginner however, but many intermediate to advanced designers on a budget will find the specification and design-genre flexibility truly excellent — if they can ignore the less than polished user interface and monotonic tome-like manual.
Price$ 129.95 (AUD)
NOTE: Pricing for this product is in US$.
TurboCAD in its various iterations is easily one of the longest running CAD software programs ever created with a product lifespan in excess of twenty one years — and resulting in claimed sales of 2 million copies. Its not difficult to see why it's been so successful as this latest, version, TurboCAD 15 Deluxe, costs just US$129.95.
TurboCAD 15 Deluxe is a versatile piece of computer-aided design (CAD) software as it can not only do standard 2-D/3-D technical drawings in AutoCAD's .DWG format and .DXF drawing exchange format files (amongst many others) but is also handy in many other areas of design. It can turn its hand to product design, furniture design, kitchen and micro engineering detail design in 3D. It features good quality rendering with colour shading and lighting effects.
Included in the TurboCAD 15 Deluxe package is an useful roster of library samples, consisting of building construction, electrical, circuit boards and furniture. There are also many examples of component templates which are really useful for quick visualisations and as comparative tools against which to assess new designs.
The creation of colour transparencies with either 2-D or 3-D designs aids its functionality and gives professional results when crafting graphic design, logos and even brochures for all these newly designed products.
However, all this versatility and generous-for-the-price specification may be somewhat lost on the beginner as TurboCAD 15 Deluxe's user interface is not the slickest. It cannot compare to AutoCAD or even Photoshop, for instance — TurboCAD is a bit messy and non-intuitive as a result.
A further limitation for the novice is the printed user guide, which at 470 pages long and about the thickness of a paperback novel isn't the easiest read. It has a dry-looking layout that even some intermediate users could find convoluted. Much better would have been split up volumes of user manuals, with quick reference guides printed in larger format paper with colour screenshots.
TurboCAD 15 Deluxe is a versatile tool for mechanical design, architecture and much more.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei P10 smartphone review
- 2 Huawei P10 Plus phone: Full, in-depth review
- 3 Motorola Moto G5 smartphone review
- 4 Oppo A57 phone: full, in-depth review
- 5 Moto G5 Plus phone: full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Microsoft shows the power of its Pen with a new Whiteboard app and other upgrades
- Windows 10 S will not run Linux, even though it's a downloadable Windows app
- The Windows 10 Game Bar: What PC gamers need to know
- Microsoft redesigns OneNote UI to make it more universally accessible
- Windows 10 Insider build 16199 fills some holes in the Creators Update
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- MSI GE62 7RD Apache gaming laptop review
- LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- Huawei P10 smartphone review
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - online gamblingNSW
- FTFull Stack .Net DeveloperWA
- FTUAT CoordinatorQLD
- TPReporting DeveloperWA
- FTSolution Architect - NetworksQLD
- CCWCEM DeveloperACT
- TPSenior Integration OfficerQLD
- FTIntegration & Business Intelligence ManagerNSW
- TPProject Manager - ProcurementQLD
- CCUX DeveloperQLD
- FTBusiness Intelligence Analyst - Microsoft BI Stack - NewcastleNSW
- TPSQL Database AdministratorNSW
- CCSenior Business AnalystNSW
- CCUAT CoordinatorQLD
- CCChange AnalystVIC
- TPBI DeveloperNSW
- CCOracle CCB DesignerVIC
- FTSenior DBANSW
- CCBusiness AnalystNSW
- CCGraduate DeveloperQLD
- FTSenior .NET DevelopersSA
- TPTechnical ArchitectVIC
- CCSenior Systems EngineerQLD
- CCPHP DeveloperNSW