Avermedia AverTV DVB-T Volar
- HD recording issues, Timeshift is clunky
The Volar is handy for a notebook, and it's inexpensive. Its tuner found all the digital channels and displayed them with good signal strength, but it was let down by its software. It needs more convenient time-shifting capabilities and the ability to record HD programs with audio.
Price$ 105.00 (AUD)
If you want an external digital TV tuner for your notebook, AverMedia's AverTV DVB-T Volar is the smallest we have seen, but it fails to satisfy in many areas.
Physically, it's a USB 2.0 device, around the size of a lighter. After prolonged use, it doesn't heat up too much, and it has a blue power LED. It works well enough so that you can enjoy watching SD or HD programs, but AverMedia's AverTV software can be frustrating to use.
Changing channels took a few seconds (likewise, it took a few seconds to start recording programs), and the channel list was not easily accessible by right-clicking. HD recording was also flawed with this program. The picture was captured without any sound. This is despite us installing the latest version of AverTV (18.104.22.168). SD programs were recorded with sound and played back in Windows Media Player.
Time-shifting has to be activated before you can pause live TV and is not well implemented. Once it's enabled you are unable to change channels until you disable it.
The scheduler allows you to easily record programs in a once-off, daily or weekly frequency. You can also set the program to record in silent mode, which means the program will record in the background. This is helpful if you don't want to be disturbed while you're using your computer for other things. Conversely, you can set AverTV to be your desktop background, but only if you don't mind watching TV with icons scattered in front of the screen.
Join the newsletter!
We have 4 to give away so jump in!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Oppo A73 review: The budget smartphone that sets the bar for 2018
- 2 Oppo R11s review: The iClone you know and love, but not quite the one you deserve
- 3 Blackberry KEYone Black Edition review: What the original KEYone should have been
- 4 Samsung Gear IconX 2018 review: The path of least resistance makes for an easy upgrade
- 5 LG V30+ Review: The videographer's smartphone arrives
Latest News Articles
- Logitech try to reinvent the keyboard experience with Logitech CRAFT
- First AMD Ryzen Desktop APUs Featuring World’s Most Powerful Graphics on a Desktop Processor
- MSI AM4 Motherboards are now ready for new AMD 2nd Generation Ryzen Desktop Processors
- Intel Xeon D-2100 set to enable new capabilities for cloud, network and service providers
- CES 2018: Everything Announced By MadCatz
PCW Evaluation Team
The printer was convenient, produced clear and vibrant images and was very easy to use
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
- Sony a7R Mk III review: The strongest case yet for ditching your DSLR
- Oppo A73 review: The budget smartphone that sets the bar for 2018
- Oppo R11s: Full, in-depth review
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
Product Launch Showcase
- CCFull Stack Java DeveloperVIC
- CCPortfolio / Project Coordinator - BrisbaneVIC
- FTCyber Security AnalystOther
- FTFront End DeveloperOther
- CCUI iOS & Android DeveloperVIC
- TPNetwork EngineerQLD
- FTGraduate Project CoordinatorACT
- CCApplications Packaging EngineerWA
- CCProject Manager - Multiple Roles - TelcoVIC
- CCProject Manager - Security/Cyber Security - CanberraNSW
- FTData Migration Lead- ECS.106, ETL & SAPOther
- CCCyber Security Business AnalystNSW
- FTDigital Developer - Back endVIC
- CCBusiness Analyst OR Data ModellerNSW
- FTHR Business PartnerOther
- CCKnowledge Analyst (Digital Content)NSW
- FTMultiple Angular ExpertACT
- TPBusiness Analyst/Project ManagerQLD
- FTJava DeveloperOther
- CCSenior Business AnalystNSW
- FTSAP IS-U and SAP EWM Greenfield implemenationVIC
- FTPython DeveloperOther
- FT.Net Developer - Syspro experience mandatoryOther
- FTSenior Business Analyst - InfrastructureVIC