Avermedia AverTV Hybrid+FM PCI
- Time shifting, Thorough signal search.
- HD recording lacks audio.
Despite the audio problem we faced during HD recording, this card has enough versatility to make it a worthy choice for a PC or media centre.
Price$ 154.00 (AUD)
AverMedia's Hybrid TV tuner card is a half-height PCI card, which ships with a half-height mounting bracket and has broadcast driver architecture (BDA) support, making it suitable for use in a media centre PC.
The card can tune into analog or digital TV signals as well as FM radio (it comes with an FM antenna) and it also has composite and S-Video input ports. For testing, we had to update the driver software that the card ships with (AverTV) in order to eliminate stability problems when recording programs. However, not all problems were resolved by the update as we found that high definition (HD) recordings lacked sound. Standard definition (SD) recordings worked perfectly and the recording scheduler, as well as the time-shifting function, worked flawlessly.
The picture quality of SD and HD channels were clear and vibrant and the card displayed both types of broadcasts without stuttering. CPU usage was 20 per cent and 40 per cent, respectively, for both types of broadcasts on our AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ test platform.
Unlike the ASUS My Cinema card, this card picked up Channel 9 in Sydney without any fuss and its ability to tune into analog signals was also very good (it even picked up Sydney's community TV station). Its ability to record from analog devices, such as VCRs, is adequate for short recordings, but during our tests we did note some slight skips. It's very useful as a pass-through for watching videos through your PC.
The card can only record MPEG2 streams, not entire transport streams. This is not a huge omission in today's digital TV climate as most TV channels broadcast the same content on all their sub-channels.
For ease of use, Aver ships the card with a remote control and an infrared receiver.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 LG G6 Plus: Full, in-depth review
- 2 First Look: Nikon D850
- 3 OnePlus 5: Full, in-depth review
- 4 Nokia 8: Full, in-depth review
- 5 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
Latest News Articles
- Traditional Aussie PC market defies global downward trend again
- Logitech say new mouse features the best optical sensor ever designed for wireless gaming
- Razer unveil new Basilisk mouse built for FPS gaming
- HyperX Unveil Heavy-Duty Gaming Keyboard
- NVIDIA Supercharges Rendering Performance with AI
PCW Evaluation Team
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
The HP OfficeJet 250 Mobile Printer is a great device that fits perfectly into my fast paced and mobile lifestyle. My first impression of the printer itself was how incredibly compact and sleek the device was.
- Huawei Y5 (2017) Review
- First Look: The Evil Within 2
- LG G6 Plus: Full, in-depth review
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - Online PokerNSW
- FTEnterprise Application AdministratorQLD
- FTSenior Infrastructure Engineer - hands on roleOther
- FTCloud/Infrastructure SpecialistVIC
- CCDatabase Administrator - BrisbaneVIC
- CCInformation Security Consultant - BrisbaneACT
- FTDeployment EngineersOther
- FTProject ManagerSA
- FTMEAN Stack DeveloperACT
- TPAudio Visual Project ManagerNSW
- TPSenior Consultant - ServiceNowNSW
- TPData AnalystNSW
- CCC# Developer (Back-end)VIC
- FTMobile Applications DeveloperACT
- CCTraining Co-OrdinatorNSW
- FTSenior Business ConsultantOther
- CCSAP Techno Function ConsultantNSW
- FTSoftware EngineerOther
- CCSite Acquisition CoordinatorNSW
- FTTechnical Digital Producer | 6 Month ContractOther
- FTBusiness AnalystOther
- FTSenior Business Analyst - SuperannuationOther
- FTTECHNICAL INFRASTRUCTURE LEADOther
- FTSenior Pega DeveloperOther
- FTSolutions ArchitectsOther