Avermedia AverTV Hybrid+FM PCI
- Time shifting, Thorough signal search.
- HD recording lacks audio.
Despite the audio problem we faced during HD recording, this card has enough versatility to make it a worthy choice for a PC or media centre.
Price$ 154.00 (AUD)
AverMedia's Hybrid TV tuner card is a half-height PCI card, which ships with a half-height mounting bracket and has broadcast driver architecture (BDA) support, making it suitable for use in a media centre PC.
The card can tune into analog or digital TV signals as well as FM radio (it comes with an FM antenna) and it also has composite and S-Video input ports. For testing, we had to update the driver software that the card ships with (AverTV) in order to eliminate stability problems when recording programs. However, not all problems were resolved by the update as we found that high definition (HD) recordings lacked sound. Standard definition (SD) recordings worked perfectly and the recording scheduler, as well as the time-shifting function, worked flawlessly.
The picture quality of SD and HD channels were clear and vibrant and the card displayed both types of broadcasts without stuttering. CPU usage was 20 per cent and 40 per cent, respectively, for both types of broadcasts on our AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ test platform.
Unlike the ASUS My Cinema card, this card picked up Channel 9 in Sydney without any fuss and its ability to tune into analog signals was also very good (it even picked up Sydney's community TV station). Its ability to record from analog devices, such as VCRs, is adequate for short recordings, but during our tests we did note some slight skips. It's very useful as a pass-through for watching videos through your PC.
The card can only record MPEG2 streams, not entire transport streams. This is not a huge omission in today's digital TV climate as most TV channels broadcast the same content on all their sub-channels.
For ease of use, Aver ships the card with a remote control and an infrared receiver.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Google Pixel 2 review: not quite 'pixel perfect' but damn close
- 2 Huawei Nova 2i review: Flagship features get smuggled into the mid-tier
- 3 Moto X4 review: This is what a world without MotoMods looks like
- 4 Giabyte Aorus X9 Gaming Laptop review: Full, in-depth review
- 5 iPhone 8: Full, in-depth review
- This week in games: Battlefront II disables microtransactions, Total War goes to Britain
- Star Wars: Battlefront II review: The Dark Side
- iMovie 10 review: Free video editing that's elegant and easy
- Buffered VPN review: It gets the job done
- WD Blue 3D NAND SATA SSD review: One of the fastest TLC drives you can buy
PCW Evaluation Team
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
- Huawei Mate 10 Pro review
- Dell Inspiron 5675 Gaming Desktop review
- Legion Y520 Gaming Laptop review
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
Product Launch Showcase
- FTSenior Data Centre OperatorOther
- FTSenior Technical ConsultantACT
- FTTM1 Application Management AnalystOther
- FTProject ManagerOther
- FTCampaigns & Events ManagerOther
- CCSenior Process SpecialistNSW
- FTLean Six Sigma Consultant - Black BeltNSW
- FTSecurity Cleared Network EngineerACT
- FTPayments Business AnalystVIC
- FTMid Level UX DesignerOther
- FTJunior Automation TesterQLD
- CCNetwork EngineerWA
- FTScrum Master | 6mths +Other
- FTSocial Media SpecialistOther
- CCSAP BPC Specialist ConsultantTAS
- TPProject Manager - CRMQLD
- FTPageUp BAOther
- FTSenior Change ManagerACT
- FTMulesoft Solutions DesignerNSW
- TPProject Manager - IaaSQLD
- CCSAP BPC Specialist ConsultantOther
- FTMid-Level Drupal Developer (Brisbane Location)WA
- CCMid - Level SAP Test Analyst (Brisbane)SA
- FTSupply Master Data AnalystOther
- CCProject Implementation Support - Telecom IndustryVIC