Avermedia MR 800 USB Radio
- Easy setup, compact,
- Sound quality not as good on notebooks
Far less hassle than adding TV reception to a portable PC, AverMedia's USB radio is a good-value, compact plug-and-play product that extends the entertainment possibilities of your notebook without fanfare.
Price$ None (AUD)
PC TV cards sometimes have built-in radio receivers; which is great for desktop PCs but not so good for notebooks. This shouldn't come as a huge surprise - after all, portables aren't always used in environments that are conducive to radio use.
If you are unhappy with this state of affairs, give Avermedia's competitively priced USB radio some consideration. It allows you to get radio on a notebook as well as a PC, by hooking up via a USB key and providing a plug-in radio aerial.
Although you could pick up a portable FM radio for about a fiver, if you so choose, the cunning thing AverMedia has done is to provide a simple plug-in product that can also be used to schedule and record programs in WMA, MP3 and WAV, as well as other formats.
If you've ever set up a TV card, you'll find the process for getting started with the MR 800 pretty similar. Plug it in, slip the antenna and line-out cable (which AverMedia has spliced together to fit in a single jack pin) into the USB key's bulge and the other end of the cable into a line-in port on your PC. Unlike TV cards, though, the MR 800 is a dead cert to work anywhere you'd reasonably expect to get radio reception.
On a notebook you'll probably need to use the microphone input instead, which can affect the sound quality. To get a signal you'll need to stretch out the antenna cable then install the software to initiate channel scanning and set up any timed recordings or playback you wish. Once you've identified your favourite FM stations, you can click on their frequencies to assign them an appropriate name.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 LG G6 Plus: Full, in-depth review
- 2 First Look: Nikon D850
- 3 OnePlus 5: Full, in-depth review
- 4 Nokia 8: Full, in-depth review
- 5 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
Latest News Articles
- Traditional Aussie PC market defies global downward trend again
- Logitech say new mouse features the best optical sensor ever designed for wireless gaming
- Razer unveil new Basilisk mouse built for FPS gaming
- HyperX Unveil Heavy-Duty Gaming Keyboard
- NVIDIA Supercharges Rendering Performance with AI
PCW Evaluation Team
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
The HP OfficeJet 250 Mobile Printer is a great device that fits perfectly into my fast paced and mobile lifestyle. My first impression of the printer itself was how incredibly compact and sleek the device was.
- Huawei Y5 (2017) Review
- First Look: The Evil Within 2
- LG G6 Plus: Full, in-depth review
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - Online PokerNSW
- FTSenior Security ConsultantNSW
- FTBusiness Development Manager Consulting ITQLD
- TPWordPress DeveloperVIC
- FTSenior Change ManagerOther
- CCTeam Assistant/Executive Assistant - TelcoVIC
- CCAWS DevOps Engineer - BrisbaneVIC
- CCOracle Identity & Access Management AdministratorNSW
- FTSAP Change Management LeadOther
- CCIntegration Specialist-Tibco & MulesoftNSW
- FTFinance AnalystOther
- FTCustomer Service RepresentativeOther
- CCDevOps Consultant - BrisbaneVIC
- CCInformation Security Consultant - BrisbaneNSW
- CCJunior and Senior SQL DeveloperACT
- CCDevOps Consultant - BrisbaneNSW
- FTApplication Service Delivery ManagerNSW
- FTSenior Digital ProducerNSW
- FTNetwork Data EngineerOther
- CCTRIM Support OfficerSA
- FTNetwork EngineerOther
- FTBusiness Analyst - InsuranceOther
- TPBusiness AnalystNSW
- CCTraining Co-OrdinatorNSW
- TPPrincipal Business AnalystQLD