AVG Internet Security 9.0
AVG Internet Security 9.0: Solid detection, but needs a makeover
- Strong malware detection, inexpensive
- Poorly organised interface
AVG Internet Security 9 provides strong protection against malware, but its interface needs improvement.
Price$ 69.99 (AUD)
AVG Internet Security 9.0 is an affordable security suite that provides strong malware detection and disinfection, but it could be easier to use.
The interface hasn't changed much since last year, and has some organisational problems. For example, on the main screen, icons representing the suite's various features aren't grouped or organised appropriately, making it hard to find, say, the firewall versus the antivirus protection.
AVG did well at detecting active system infections; it found 93 percent of samples, and disabled 87 percent. This is a good score, but our top performer was able to detect and block all infections on our PC. However, AVG was able to fully remove only 27 percent of the malware samples. In general most suites could effectively detect and disable infections, but would often leave pieces behind. The danger in leaving any segment of malware behind is that an infection could return.
AVG detected 100 percent of inactive and active rootkits (stealth malware used to hide infections from PC users and security software alike), and removed 87 percent of the samples. This means that some rootkits will get left behind, but this removal rate is on a par with the other products we tested.
New in this year's suite is behavioural malware detection technology, which detects malware based solely on how it behaves on your PC. AVG gained expertise in this area through its acquisition of Sana Security in 2009. AVG was perfect at detecting and disabling infections on our test PC in our behavioural-scanning tests. At removing every trace of malware, AVG scored a respectable 93 percent. Compared to other suites we tested, these are high scores for defences against unknown or zero-day attacks.
The suite includes LinkScanner, a tool that looks for and scrubs malicious content from Websites before it hits your browser. This is slightly different from McAfee's Site Advisor, which identifies and blocks malicious sites. Linkscanner lets you view the questionable sites, but it still blocks the malware, which is a better approach.
Using traditional signatures, AVG detected 95 percent of malware, an acceptable result. By comparison, the top performer in this test detected 99.9 percent of malware samples. This test is less important than it was in the past, however; the sheer amount of new malware makes tests that help judge how well a product can detect unknown malware more important than tests of how well it can detect using old-style signatures.
In bootup time, AVG was about 2 seconds slower than the average of suites tested. However, when you consider the number of tools in this suite, that results isn't too bad. AVG's impact on overall system performance was slight compared with other suites, though its scan speeds were on the slow side. It took 6 minutes, 5 seconds to scan a 4.5GB file when we opened it. Our top performer scanned this data in 2 minutes, 51 seconds.
AVG packs at lot of tools at a reasonable price, and we recommend it to users of previous AVG versions and new users alike.
Join the newsletter!
Why virtualise your NAS environment?
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Oppo A73 review: The budget smartphone that sets the bar for 2018
- 2 Oppo R11s review: The iClone you know and love, but not quite the one you deserve
- 3 Blackberry KEYone Black Edition review: What the original KEYone should have been
- 4 Zolo Liberty+ review: The true wireless earbuds you've been waiting for
- 5 Samsung Gear IconX 2018 review: The path of least resistance makes for an easy upgrade
Latest News Articles
- Square expands Australian offering with Square Stand
- Google partners with PayPal to bring new checkout options for Android Pay
- Expect prices for PCs and mobile devices to rise this year
- Facebook may use Messenger to push into retail payments
PCW Evaluation Team
The printer was convenient, produced clear and vibrant images and was very easy to use
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
- Interview - Netgear CEO Patrick Lo talks eSports, the NBN and why mesh is the smartphone of home Wi-Fi
- Everything You Can Do, I Can Do Better: Comparing The Google Home’s Assistant To Amazon Echo’s Alexa
- Samsung Galaxy S9+ review: A predictably-exellent flagship uplifted by a standout camera
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
Product Launch Showcase
- FTSolution Designer/Architect - Java IntegrationOther
- FTHFC EngineerOther
- CCSENIOR PROJECT MANAGER - INFRASTRUCTURENSW
- TPDynamics CRM Support EngineerNSW
- CCOracle DeveloperVIC
- CCOffice 365 Solution DesignerQLD
- FTApplication Support Analyst - SydneyOther
- FTService Asset & Configuration ManagerNSW
- FTMultiple Solution Architect PositionsACT
- FTSenior .Net DeveloperOther
- FTProject Manager/Business Analyst (Hybrid role) - Adelaide BasedSA
- FTSAP Business Analyst x 4NSW
- TPProject Manager - ICT Infrastructure - SecurityQLD
- CCPega DeveloperVIC
- FTITSM Configuration ManagerOther
- TPMaster SchedulerVIC
- CCBusiness Analyst (Junior - Mid Level)NSW
- CCAutomation Tester - Selenium Web DriverVIC
- CCSystems EngineerWA
- CCCyber Security Business AnalystVIC
- FTAnalyst DeveloperACT
- FTDigital DesignerOther
- FTBig Data Analyst/Business AnalystNSW
- FTSolution Architect - DigitalVIC
- CC0365 EngineerNSW