Avira Antivir Personal
Avira AntiVir Personal offers great, thorough protection and top-notch scan speed, but some nontechies might find its interface frustrating.
- Excellent detection and disinfection, top-notch scan speed
- Interface is unfriendly to novices, daily pop-up ads for paid version
Some less-than-friendly default behaviours make Avira AntiVir Personal a better choice for tech-savvy users who know how to muck about in the settings. If you're willing to put up with a somewhat clumsy interface and the recurring pop-up ads, in return you'll enjoy top-notch, free protection against malware. It's not a bad trade-off by any means.
Avira AntiVir Personal's excellent malware detection, disinfection, and scan speed earned it the top spot in our ranking of free antivirus software. Its interface could be better, though, and using the app means putting up with daily pop-up ads.
In AV-Test.org tests, AntiVir's 98.9 percent overall malware detection rate was unbeaten. AntiVir was also tops in proactive-protection tests that use two- and four-week-old signature databases to simulate the detection of new, unknown malware, with rates of 52.7 percent and 45.5 percent, respectively.
The strong performance continued in disinfection tests. Avira Antivir Personal found and disarmed all of the rootkits and other malware infections tossed at it, though (like all the free antivirus software we tested) it tended to leave some remnants, such as relatively harmless Registry changes, in place.
Avira Antivir Personal was not just the most thorough free tool we tested, but also the fastest. It led in speed tests for both on-demand scans (which you schedule or start manually) and on-access scans (which happen automatically during tasks such as copying files).
If Avira Antivir Personal's interface were as polished as its malware-fighting ability, it would be a no-brainer recommendation. But its daily pop-up ads for Avira's paid ID-theft protection software could easily annoy many users, and at times its interface feels better suited to advanced users.
For example, Avira Antivir Personal's installer prompts you to select among ‘extended threat categories'. Some are obvious, such as games or jokes, but you might be forgiven for not knowing whether to pick ‘unusual runtime compression' (listed in Avira's online help as ‘Files that have been compressed using an unusual tool and are therefore suspicious').
In a similar vein, Avira Antivir Personal's detection pop-ups offer too many choices and don't suggest the option most appropriate for the average user. It checks the ‘Deny access' option by default, but that choice would leave the discovered malware sitting on your PC; you would continue to receive warnings until you opted to delete or quarantine the discovery (you can also choose to rename or ignore the file).
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei P10 smartphone review
- 2 Huawei P10 Plus phone: Full, in-depth review
- 3 Motorola Moto G5 smartphone review
- 4 Oppo A57 phone: full, in-depth review
- 5 Moto G5 Plus phone: full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Microsoft shows the power of its Pen with a new Whiteboard app and other upgrades
- Wanawiki is the WannaCry fix that might save affected PCs—if you work fast
- Microsoft redesigns OneNote UI to make it more universally accessible
- Google's Standalone VR and VPS address the clutter and clumsiness of virtual reality
- The WannaCry ransomware might have a link to North Korea
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- Asus ROG Strix Z270F Gaming motherboard review
- The simple RAM buying guide
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - online gamblingNSW
- FTProject Manager HFC Capacity ManagementVIC
- FTAccounts and Office AdministratorNSW
- FTChange Manager, Agile Environment, Financial ServicesNSW
- FTSenior System EngineerNSW
- CCData ArchitectACT
- CCSolution ArchitectQLD
- FTStorage EngineerSA
- CCInfrastructure Project ManagerNSW
- FTQlikview Developer | Contract 6-12mthVIC
- FTSoftware Licensing and Contract AnalystNSW
- FTJunior-Mid Level Implementation CoordinatorQLD
- FTSenior Software EngineerACT
- FTTest Analyst (Datawarehouse)SA
- CCIDAM ArchitectVIC
- FTPython Fullstack DevNSW
- FTIT Security ConsultantNSW
- FTPMO CoordinatorVIC
- FTSolution ArchitectNSW
- FTSecurity Engineer (IPS & Firewall exp essential) - Perm - IT Services - SydneyNSW
- CCDeployment Manager - TelcoVIC
- CCGun Java/ Full Stack Developer wanted...VIC
- TPProject Manager - Change ManagementQLD
- CCPHP DeveloperNSW
- CCSenior Communications Advisor - Australian TelcoVIC