Avira AntiVir Personal Free AntiVirus 10
Avira AntiVir Personal review: Great malware protection
- Excellent malware detection and blocking, quick scan speeds
- Somewhat light in features, main interface needs refining
Avira AntiVir Personal does an great job at blocking and detecting malware, but its interface needs a makeover.
AntiVir has strength where it counts most: It did a great job at detecting and blocking malware. That said, its interface needs some improvement.
From the outside, AntiVir Personal is nearly identical to its paid counterpart, AntiVir Premium 2010: The two products have nearly identical interfaces and installation processes, so the real difference between them is the feature set. The interface is reasonably straightforward, but some areas do need improvement.
The Status tab gives a basic overview of whether you're protected and up-to-date, though it doesn't really give too much detail. Most buttons are not labelled, and the button icons are not always immediately recognisable, so you'll have to mouse over them for a tooltip describing what they do (some of the tooltips are more useful than others). Avira is a German import, and some of the wording in dialog boxes feels awkwardly translated. The overall feeling I got from AntiVir Personal's interface is that, while it's serviceable, it feels geared toward more advanced PC users.
Avira put up very good scores for malware detection. AntiVir Personal detected 99 percent of malware samples in scanner-based detection tests that predominantly rely on malware signature files, which was one of the better showings in this test among the free antivirus products we tested. And in the blocking of actual, real-world malware attacks, AntiVir personal completely blocked 80 percent of attacks, which puts it slightly above the average of the products we tested. It partially blocked an additional 5 percent of attacks.
Avira also but up decent scores for malware cleanup. It detected all infections on the test system, and was successful in removing all active components of an attack 70 percent of the time (right around average), and removed all malware components 30 percent of the time (also about average).
On the negative side, AntiVir Personal, along with Comodo's free Internet Security Premium, had the most false positives--six--of the free antivirus products we looked at. As a percentage, this number is still low—it was .004 percent of files scanned, and they were all non-operating-system files, but any false positive can be a hassle. That said, only one free product we tested—Avast Free Antivirus--achieved a perfect false positive score.
AntiVir Personal's scan speeds were impressive as well—it completed an on-demand scan of 4.5GB of data in 87 seconds, the best finish of the free antivirus products we looked at. Its on-access scans were also quite fast: It finished the test in 4 minutes, 7 seconds, well below the average time of 2 minutes, 50 seconds. The on-access scan is a good indicator of how quickly an antivirus program will be able to scan files for malware as they're opened or saved to disk. In addition, AntiVir Personal's impact on overall system performance was low, and it added a mere 2.5 seconds to system startup in our tests—the average product added over 4 seconds to startup time.
AntiVir Personal, like Avira's other products, has been a strong contender in the past, and this latest version continues that trend. But we'd like to see Avira make some improvements to its user interface.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 LG G6 Plus: Full, in-depth review
- 2 First Look: Nikon D850
- 3 OnePlus 5: Full, in-depth review
- 4 Nokia 8: Full, in-depth review
- 5 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
Latest News Articles
- Nest jumps into home security with Nest Secure
- Master Lock bring new Smart Padlocks to Oz
- Trend Micro Strengthens its Security Offerings in Trend Micro Security
- Billions of devices at risk as Bluetooth-bourne vulnerability exposed
- Trend Micro launches new Home Network Scanner
PCW Evaluation Team
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
The HP OfficeJet 250 Mobile Printer is a great device that fits perfectly into my fast paced and mobile lifestyle. My first impression of the printer itself was how incredibly compact and sleek the device was.
- Moto E4: Full, in-depth review
- First Look: The Evil Within 2
- LG G6 Plus: Full, in-depth review
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - Online PokerNSW
- TPChange ManagerNSW
- FTAccount ManagerOther
- FTOracle DeveloperVIC
- FTBusiness Analyst - TableauOther
- TPCyber Security Business AnalystACT
- CCData & Reporting AnalystVIC
- FTOracle WebLogic Administrator- Banking backgroundOther
- FTLead Land Access Coordinator - UrgentOther
- FTScheduler - CommunicationsOther
- CCHogan Technical Consultant - BrisbaneNSW
- FTINTEGRATION DEVELOPERSA
- FTWindows Rollout / Desktop Support AnalystOther
- FTSCCM consultantVIC
- FTERP ConsultantQLD
- CCTechnologyOne Systems AdministratorQLD
- FTNV1 Cleared Software Engineer - Defence Projects - North Ryde areaNSW
- FTTechnical writerNSW
- FTInfrastructure Project ManagerOther
- CCTRIM Support OfficerSA
- TPSenior Change ManagerNSW
- CCLean Six Sigma Black Belt 6 month contractVIC
- FTCyber Security Project ManagerOther
- FTSenior Technical ConsultantACT
- FTTechnical Digital Producer | 6 Month ContractOther