Avira Premium Internet Security Suite 10
Avira Premium Internet Security Suite 10: Left behind lots of inert malware remnants
- Good malware detection
- Significantly slows system performance; Left behind lots of inert malware remnants
Avira AntiVir is very good at blocking known malware, but it left behind more malware remnants than most other products we tested.
Price$ 49.19 (AUD)
Users looking for a free antimalware product to protect themselves have long enjoyed Avira, which is available in a no-cost version for personal use, but which subjects you to a single daily pop-up urging you to buy the full suite.
Upgrading to the paid Avira AntiVir Premium Security Suite adds a passel of extra features—anti-spam, an included firewall, and parental controls, to name just a few—but the core malware detection and removal system is the same.
The Avira interface is a matter of personal taste. Some users will find its simplicity refreshing, while others may feel its lack of hand-holding and plain English explanations are off-putting. Avira offers two configuration systems: The standard mode should be plenty for most and provides more than enough tweakability. Or you can check the "Expert mode" box - easy to overlook - and delve into the minutiae of the software. Here's where Avira can really get obtuse, but unless you're really concerned about, say, limiting the size of Avira's log file, Expert mode has nothing that most users will need to worry about.
The good news is that Avira requires minimal to no extra configuration work in order to fully protect yourself: Avira's default settings will be absolutely fine for most users, and only if you find yourself needing to manually scan a file or your PC should you ever really need to open Avira's control panel at all.
The even better news is that, based on our testing, Avira does a top-notch job at keeping you safe and sound. Across the board, Avira turned in very good numbers, blocking 99.0 percent of known malware, and fully stopping 21 of 25 of real-world attacks (it partially blocked an additional 2 attacks). Avira is also quite fast at scanning. It was the second-fastest on-demand scanner and the fourth-fastest on-access scanner among the 13 applications we tested. That said, it put a bigger dent in overall system performance than most other suites.
We did encounter a couple of sore spots. While Avira did a very good job at disinfecting active malware components, it left behind more remnants (inert malware files, registry keys, and so forth) than many of the other suites we tested did. Avira also lost points in the realm of false positives: The software's dynamic malware detection engine (which identifies malware based on how it acts on your PC) blocked a full 10 percent of safe (yet suspicious) applications in our tests. In daily use, you can see Avira's overzealousness quite readily: It blocks just about every AutoRun application it encounters, whether on an optical disc or a thumb drive. Making matters worse, there's no readily apparent way to stop this behavior.
Though Avira is overall a competent and easy-to-use antimalware application that offers set-it-and-forget-it functionality, these issues lowered its score.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei P10 smartphone review
- 2 Huawei P10 Plus phone: Full, in-depth review
- 3 Motorola Moto G5 smartphone review
- 4 Oppo A57 phone: full, in-depth review
- 5 Moto G5 Plus phone: full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Wanawiki is the WannaCry fix that might save affected PCs—if you work fast
- Digital signature service DocuSign hacked and email addresses stolen
- The WannaCry ransomware might have a link to North Korea
- WannaCry attacks are only the beginning
- Old Windows PCs can stop WannaCry ransomware with new Microsoft patch
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- Huawei P10 smartphone review
- Huawei P10 Plus phone: Full, in-depth review
- Moto G5 smartphone: full, in-depth review
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - online gamblingNSW
- FTTest Analyst - Application TestingACT
- CCJava / J2EE DeveloperVIC
- FTSenior System EngineerNSW
- TPData AnalystVIC
- FTPrincipal Project ManagerVIC
- CCSenior Systems Engineer - WintelNSW
- FTBusiness Analyst- Wollongong, Loftus, Sutherland ShireNSW
- CCInfrastructure Business AnalystNSW
- FTTest AnalystACT
- FTStorage EngineerSA
- FTDisaster Recovery AnalystNSW
- FTManaging Architect - Satellite spaceVIC
- CCSenior Process ModellerNSW
- CCIT Security Risk AnalystVIC
- FTSolution ArchitectWA
- FTSolution ArchitectNSW
- TPAEM DeveloperNSW
- CCABAP ConsultantACT
- FTHR Learning Management ExpertNSW
- FTSenior Java DeveloperVIC
- FTL&D ConsultantVIC
- CCBusiness Analyst - SalesforceVIC
- FTDigital ProducerNSW
- FTEnterprise Security ArchitectQLD