Avira Premium Security Suite
- Works on old as well as new PCs without any difficulty, it's an antivirus and firewall, easy to install
- Too many access approval requests, updating process can be slow, MailGuard doesn't integrate directly with your e-mail client
A good, low-cost security solution, easily on a par with its rivals. Note that a free lite version of AntiVir is available – marry that with the free version of ZoneAlarm on the DVD and you have an effective but cheap security system.
Price$ 69.80 (AUD)
Avira may not be a household name in Australia, but to German and Austrian computer users its antivirus products are on a par with Norton and McAfee.
Avira's Premium Security Suite offers protection against viruses, adware, spyware, rogue diallers, phishing and e-mail viruses. However, it really boils down to a pair of products: a powerful antivirus, AntiVir, plus a firewall.
At just $69, Avira's a fairly inexpensive option. Installation is simple – it takes just a few moments to download the package and install the provided product key.
We especially liked AntiVir's light system footprint. Norton's antivirus in comparison imposes too high a system overhead, and slows systems down. We installed AntiVir on an old laptop and it ran nicely.
AntiVir provides the usual AV protection – a real-time monitor and a system scanner, which can be scheduled. Updates are provided frequently, but AntiVir uses heuristic techniques to detect virus-style action, too. And it will filter up to a dozen processes from on-access scanning, so it can coexist with, for example, a spyware scanner.
Avira's firewall offers far better protection than XP's built-in firewall, but it doesn't perform an initial sweep to automatically clear applications for Internet access. This makes for a lot of access approval requests – even Avira's own AV updater has to be approved the first time it updates.
However, we don't have many complaints. The updating process can be a bit slow and the MailGuard doesn't integrate directly with your e-mail client, but attachments are scanned upon detachment.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Oppo R11s review: The iClone you know and love, but not quite the one you deserve
- 2 Blackberry KEYone Black Edition review: What the original KEYone should have been
- 3 Samsung Gear IconX 2018 review: The path of least resistance makes for an easy upgrade
- 4 TCL X2 review: QLED escapes the premium market
- 5 Xbox One X review: Brave new world
Latest News Articles
- Sonos say Aussie Alexa support for One smart speaker won't arrive until Autumn 2018
- Transport for NSW boosts digital experience with Amazon Alexa
- Irdeto Acquires Denuvo
- Businesses jump on Amazon’s Alexa after Australian launch date revealed
- Officeworks hops on voice interface bandwagon with Google Assistant integration
PCW Evaluation Team
The printer was convenient, produced clear and vibrant images and was very easy to use
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
- Sony a7R Mk III review: The strongest case yet for ditching your DSLR
- Oppo A73 review: The budget smartphone that sets the bar for 2018
- Oppo R11s: Full, in-depth review
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
Product Launch Showcase
- FTSAP FICO Lead- government backgroundOther
- FTSAP CRM ABAP-BRF+ DevelopersOther
- TPSharePoint AdministratorACT
- FTSenior BANSW
- FTPlatform DesignerOther
- TPSenior Business AnalystQLD
- CCSenior Drupal DeveloperNSW
- TPPrincipal Solution Architect | CloudQLD
- FTFront End Developer (Java, Angular, TypeScript)Other
- CCSAP WCEM DeveloperACT
- FTCommunications ManagerOther
- TPSenior Project ManagerACT
- CCCC&B Consultant - Energy and Gas DomainVIC
- CCDevOps EngineerVIC
- TPSenior Project ManagerWA
- FTService Desk Analyst - L1Other
- FTSAP IS-U and SAP EWM Greenfield implemenationVIC
- FTSenior Technical Business AnalystOther
- FTCloud Platform ArchitectOther
- CCIB2B Developer - Telecom clientVIC
- FTBusiness AnalystSA
- FTNetwork EngineersOther
- TPMS Dynamics CRM AdministratorACT
- FTSCCM ManagerACT
- FTSenior Project AnalystOther