Avira Premium Security Suite
- Works on old as well as new PCs without any difficulty, it's an antivirus and firewall, easy to install
- Too many access approval requests, updating process can be slow, MailGuard doesn't integrate directly with your e-mail client
A good, low-cost security solution, easily on a par with its rivals. Note that a free lite version of AntiVir is available – marry that with the free version of ZoneAlarm on the DVD and you have an effective but cheap security system.
Price$ 69.80 (AUD)
Avira may not be a household name in Australia, but to German and Austrian computer users its antivirus products are on a par with Norton and McAfee.
Avira's Premium Security Suite offers protection against viruses, adware, spyware, rogue diallers, phishing and e-mail viruses. However, it really boils down to a pair of products: a powerful antivirus, AntiVir, plus a firewall.
At just $69, Avira's a fairly inexpensive option. Installation is simple – it takes just a few moments to download the package and install the provided product key.
We especially liked AntiVir's light system footprint. Norton's antivirus in comparison imposes too high a system overhead, and slows systems down. We installed AntiVir on an old laptop and it ran nicely.
AntiVir provides the usual AV protection – a real-time monitor and a system scanner, which can be scheduled. Updates are provided frequently, but AntiVir uses heuristic techniques to detect virus-style action, too. And it will filter up to a dozen processes from on-access scanning, so it can coexist with, for example, a spyware scanner.
Avira's firewall offers far better protection than XP's built-in firewall, but it doesn't perform an initial sweep to automatically clear applications for Internet access. This makes for a lot of access approval requests – even Avira's own AV updater has to be approved the first time it updates.
However, we don't have many complaints. The updating process can be a bit slow and the MailGuard doesn't integrate directly with your e-mail client, but attachments are scanned upon detachment.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Samsung Galaxy Note 8: Full, in-depth review
- 2 Huawei Y5 (2017): Full, in depth review
- 3 LG G6 Plus: Full, in-depth review
- 4 First Look: Nikon D850
- 5 OnePlus 5: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Samsung unifies smart-home products with Bixby 2.0
- Dropbox go pro with Dropbox Profesional
- Intel launches AI-driven anti-money laundering solution
- Nvidia unveils Pegasus, an AI computer that can power fully autonomous vehicles
- Dragon Gets NDIS Approval
PCW Evaluation Team
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
- Jabra Elite Sport (2017) review
- How to download the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update right now
- Opinon: Life after KRACK
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
Product Launch Showcase
- FTData Analyst/Business Analyst/Project ManagerACT
- TPTest Automation ProgrammerNSW
- FTSenior Business AnalystACT
- CCJunior Test AnalystACT
- FTSAP Payroll Test LeadOther
- FTInfrastructure Manager / Service Delivery ManagerVIC
- FTData Centre EngineerOther
- FTSenior Business Analyst - Office 365 ProjectOther
- TPSenior Project Manager (CRIM)VIC
- CCBusiness AnalystVIC
- CCCommunications Business Analyst - LTE / 4G / 3GWA
- TPIT Project Manager - Large Complex CRM ImplementationNSW
- FTSenior Digital Producer/Digital Program ManagerOther
- CCInfrastructure Solution ArchitectNSW
- CCJunior / Mid level Hogan Technical Consultant - BrisbaneNSW
- FTSolution architectOther
- TPTechnical WriterQLD
- FTSr Integration Architect - next year startACT
- FTProcess AdministratorOther
- TPChange ManagerVIC
- FTBusiness Analyst - Accounting / Financial DataOther
- CCEnvironment Support Analyst with .NetQLD
- CCSet-Top Box InstallerQLD
- CCBusiness Analyst - SharepointVIC
- FTSenior Salesforce Systems AnalystQLD