Avira Premium Security Suite 8.0
Version 8 of Avira Premium Security Suite features a host of updates.
- Impressive antimalware capabilities
- Slow spam filter, not very smart
Avira Premium Security Suite 8.0 is undoubtedly first-class at detecting malware but the AV game has moved on when it comes to factors such as usability, intelligence and hardware footprint. It's now looking relatively dated and awkward to use.
Price$ 71.50 (AUD)
Version 8 of Avira Premium Security Suite features a host of updates, including an improved UI plus several new features, including drive-by download, botnet attack and malicious download protection, not to mention a backup system.
All this is included in Avira Premium Security Suite 8.0 on top of the usual security suite features, such as antivirus and -spyware, firewall, antiphishing and antispam.
Avira Premium Security Suite 8.0's antimalware capabilities continue to impress. The combined virus and spyware protection scans files on demand, on access and on schedule; it also scans incoming and outgoing email.
In the most recent AV-comparatives.org tests, Avira Premium Security Suite 8.0 did very well indeed - in a 2.3m virus test, it came out top, detecting an impressive 99.6 percent, better than Norton AntiVirus's 99 percent score. Its scanning speed was also graded as 'Advanced +', again, a most creditable score. Since then, its scanning speed has been further enhanced, by up to 20% according to Avira. We can vouch for the fact that it is quite nippy.
Avira Premium Security Suite 8.0's antispam doesn't integrate with your email client per se but filters incoming POP3 email anyway. You can train it, by highlighting mis-identified spam emails - and you can set up whitelists, too.
Our ‘spam magnet' email address had more than 8,000 junk emails but it took Avira Premium Security Suite 8.0 a couple of seconds on average to process each one, which is tediously slow. It was, however, fairly accurate, with less than 2 percent of spam ending up in my Windows Mail Inbox - and almost all of that was correctly labelled as spam.
On inbound network traffic, Avira Premium Security Suite 8.0's firewall is as good as but not better than the one that's built-in for Windows. On outbound traffic it pre-approves certain known executables but you have to approve the unknowns, which can be a chore. It also seemed slow to respond when applications seek internet access.
There are a couple of new features that caught our eye. The first is the ability to download a bootable ISO image of an Avira Rescue CD and burn it to disc — handy to have in a crisis. The Avira Premium Security Suite 8.0 backup facility is rudimentary to say the least; however it does have one redeeming feature. Thanks to the modern miracle that is Plug'n'Play, you can trigger a backup simply by plugging in a USB drive.
The trouble with Avira Premium Security Suite 8.0 is that by modern standards it's not very smart — every time it detects malware, or a new program tries to access the internet, it asks you what you want to do, so it can be a bit of a pest. Best of breed AV software automatically makes intelligent decisions on your behalf.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei P10 smartphone review
- 2 Huawei P10 Plus phone: Full, in-depth review
- 3 Motorola Moto G5 smartphone review
- 4 Oppo A57 phone: full, in-depth review
- 5 Moto G5 Plus phone: full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Microsoft shows the power of its Pen with a new Whiteboard app and other upgrades
- Windows 10 S will not run Linux, even though it's a downloadable Windows app
- The Windows 10 Game Bar: What PC gamers need to know
- Microsoft redesigns OneNote UI to make it more universally accessible
- Windows 10 Insider build 16199 fills some holes in the Creators Update
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- Asus ROG Strix Z270F Gaming motherboard review
- The simple RAM buying guide
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - online gamblingNSW
- TPICT Customer Support Officer - MurwillumbahNSW
- FTProject ManagerNSW
- FTEnterprise ArchitectVIC
- FTApplication System EngineerACT
- FTManual Test AnalystQLD
- FTSystems EngineerVIC
- TPSenior Java Developer - Contract till June 2018QLD
- TPMS Access/SQL DBAQLD
- FTProject CoordinatorVIC
- FTSenior Unix/Linux EngineerNSW
- FTBusiness Development Manager IT Software & Primary HealthcareQLD
- FTBPM DeveloperNSW
- CCScada Project ManagerWA
- TPSenior Project ManagerVIC
- FTSenior Front End Developer - BRISBANENSW
- FTScrum Master - TechnicalNSW
- FTGraphics Designer / UI DesignerQLD
- CCInfrastructure ArchitectACT
- CCData ArchitectWA
- FTIT Systems Specialist- Database l Bathurst LocationNSW
- FTDeployment Engineer / Field Service EngineerQLD
- FTSecurity AnalystQLD
- CCIT Systems Specialist- Database l Bathurst LocationNSW