Avira Premium Security Suite 8.2
An Internet security suite that excels where it counts.
- Successfully identified all the active and inactive rootkit samples
- A number of other suites are easier to use, cleaned up only four out of nine active rootkits
If you're a more technically inclined user willing to figure out a few things on your own, and you want the best malware detection available, Avira Premium Security Suite 8.2 might be a fine choice for you. But a number of other suites are easier to use. And if you fear that you already have a rootkit on your system, this is not the suite to buy.
Price$ 72.72 (AUD)
Avira Premium Security Suite 8.2 is an Internet security suite that excels where it counts. This package beat all the 2009 security suites in detection tests, continuing Avira's long history of strong performance in such tests.
While detection ability is critical, it is not the sole component of a security suite. And Avira Premium Security Suite 8.2's somewhat clunky interface (which feels suited to a more technical user), combined with its lack of a parental-control feature, knocked it down in our rankings to fourth place.
Avira Premium Security Suite 8.2 shone in tests conducted by AV-Test.org, a German antivirus testing lab that partners with PC World to evaluate antivirus applications. Put up against 654,914 Trojan horses, password stealers, and other malware, it successfully identified an impressive 99.2 percent of the threats. In catching aggravating adware, it was an even stronger enforcer, tagging 99.6 percent.
The sweep continued in heuristic tests designed to simulate how an antivirus app might deal with new, unknown malware. In tests with two-week-old signature files, Avira Premium Security Suite 8.2 identified 55.3 percent of the samples, a top showing.
Avira's suite successfully identified all the active and inactive rootkit samples. But in a surprising about-face, the suite cleaned up only four out of nine active rootkits, a last-place finish for that task. While the suite would likely prevent a rootkit from installing on your PC, if one already existed on your machine, these tests show that the suite probably wouldn't be able to scrub it away.
The scan speed was good. The Avira Premium Security Suite 8.2 is good at on-access scan speed, which comes into play whenever you save or open a file. And it's no slouch at on-demand scan speed, for scheduled and manually run scans.
Avira Premium Security Suite 8.2 needs no boost in detecting malware, but its interface could use some polish. Techies will quickly recognise terms such as ‘Local protection', but typical users might not know off the bat that it refers to your computer, as opposed to a remote server or network connection. And the program uses many small icons to indicate scans and other tasks, so you'll have to move your mouse over the icons constantly to get the description of what each does.
Also, the interface divides settings into a basic view and an expert mode, a clunky approach that most other suites avoid. The basic view hides a lot of settings; if you want to access any of the configuration settings for the antispam Mailguard, for example, you'll have to okay a prompt to enter expert mode. Say no, and you won't see any of that feature's options.
Avira Premium Security Suite 8.2's antispam feature also stands out as the only one we tested that didn't add a toolbar to Outlook or any other email applications for dealing with spam. Instead, you must open the suite to label messages as spam, approve others as not spam, or handle related functions.
Avira Premium Security Suite 8.2 does offer a decent backup feature. You can choose one or more directories or drives to back up, select a destination for the backups, and pick from many scheduling options, including daily, weekly, or whenever you connect a particular USB storage device.
Avira Premium Security Suite 8.2 also has good information in its help files, and pop-ups are generally clear and informative. But if you have a question that the built-in help can't answer, you're stuck sending an email and waiting for a response; the German company doesn't offer UK phone support.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Samsung Galaxy Note 8: Full, in-depth review
- 2 Huawei Y5 (2017): Full, in depth review
- 3 LG G6 Plus: Full, in-depth review
- 4 First Look: Nikon D850
- 5 OnePlus 5: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Samsung unifies smart-home products with Bixby 2.0
- Dropbox go pro with Dropbox Profesional
- Intel launches AI-driven anti-money laundering solution
- Nvidia unveils Pegasus, an AI computer that can power fully autonomous vehicles
- Dragon Gets NDIS Approval
PCW Evaluation Team
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
- Jabra Elite Sport (2017) review
- How to download the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update right now
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
Product Launch Showcase
- CCTraining and Support LeadVIC
- CCMessageQueue/DataPower AdministratorACT
- CCSalesforce ArchitectVIC
- FTSenior Front End DeveloperVIC
- FTDigital Transformation Architect - TelcoVIC
- CCSet-Top Box InstallerQLD
- FTOracle DeveloperACT
- TPDigital Business AnalystVIC
- FTAnalyst ProgrammerOther
- CCIseries Analyst ProgrammerNSW
- FTData Centre ManagerOther
- FTWorkday TesterVIC
- FTIT Audit ManagerNSW
- FTSenior Business ConsultantOther
- FTService desk supportACT
- FTPersonal AssistantSA
- FTEnterprise Architect - ApplicationsOther
- FTSenior UX Service DesignerACT
- FTPMO/Project CoordinatorNSW
- FTSOE ArchitectOther
- TPProject Manager - 3 days per weekQLD
- CCMid-Level Oracle SQL DeveloperWA
- FTSenior .NET DeveloperWA
- CCDevOps Developer (Chef/IAF/Linux)QLD
- CCI&CS Communications LeadVIC