- Easy to set up, three RF channels, easy to use
- Image quality loss, audio only 2 channel stereo, no AV-out
When it's plugged in, it just works. It's good for someone wanting to watch an AV source, like cable TV in another room on another TV.
Price$ 149.95 (AUD)
The AV Magic uses a technology developed for computers--802.11g wireless--to link one AV unit with another. It's a wireless replacement for AV cables.
It's easy to set up, using power and RCA plugs, although it can also accept SCART and RF connections. The receiver unit is connected to a television or stereo for playback; the transmitter is connected to an AV source (a DVD player, set top box or a computer with a TV output, for example). The transmitter also has a remote extender--just stick it near the remote port for your AV source and you can use the remote with the AV Magic receiver. A switch on the back of the units allows changing between three wireless channels; pick the one that gives the best reception.
Many people will employ the AV Magic so that a second television in another room can use an AV source, such as a VCR, DVD player or set top box. Picture quality is better than typical reception of free-to-air channels, but not quite as good as the original, and the audio signal is plain old two-channel stereo, so it's not really aimed at the big screen or surround sound setup.
The AV Magic's best feature is its simplicity. There's no software configuration to perform, no wireless networks to create, no choices to be made about audio or video formats or storage. When it's plugged in it just works. Manufacturer AV Labs says you can also add other receivers to the mix.
That simplicity has a few trade-offs. The transmitter has AV-in ports but no AV-out, so the AV source needs spare video and audio-out ports. Because there's no configuration of the wireless signal--including security--if your neighbours have an AV Magic setup, you'll need to cooperate to avoid watching their Gilligan's Island reruns (and changing channels at the most inopportune times).
The price is right, however, and it's a cost-effective alternative to buying another DVD player or set-top box.
Join the newsletter!
WD MY PASSPORT™ Gaming Storage
Dyson Supersonic™ Hair Dryer Fuchsia/Iron
WD MY PASSPORT™ X Gaming Storage
Nespresso Creatista Coffee Machine
cloudandco Smart Cane
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-55EZ950U
Bang and Olufsen BeoVision 14
SanDisk MicroSDXC™ for Nintendo® Switch™
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-77EZ1000U
Apple iPhone X
Toys for Boys
Ubiquiti Network’s Front Row Camera
Propel Star Wars T-65 X-Wing Drone
Leica M10 Digital Rangefinder Camera
Lego Mindstorms EV3
UBTech First Order Stormtrooper Robot
Onyx Smart Walkie Talkie
Bose SoundLink Micro
Google Daydream View VR Headset
LaCie Rugged USB-C Portable Hard Drive
Amazon Echo Bluetooth Speaker
Panasonic 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player and Full HD Recorder with Netflix - UBT1GL-K
WD MY CLOUD™ HOME Personal Cloud Storage
Toffee Bags Commuter Satchel
Nest Protect Smart Smoke Alarm
Panasonic Hi-Fi - SC-UA7GS-K
PETKIG Go Smart Dog Leash
Belkin Pocket Power 10,000mAh
iRobot Roomba 980 Vaccum Cleaning Robot
Xbox One X
Dearear Endear In-ear Wireless Earphones
Ikea NORDMÄRKE Wireless Charging Pad
Razer DeathAdder Expert Ergonomic Gaming Mouse
3SIXT 3-in-1 Smartphone Lens Kit
Lexon Flip Alarm Clock
Fallout Geeki Tikis
Tile Pro Bluetooth Tracker
Logitech Doodle Collection Wireless Mouse
Panasonic Portable Splashproof Fun - RF-D20U
Kogan Bluetooth Soundbar
Urbanworx Full HD Action Camera
Raspberry Pi Starter Kit
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Fitbit Ionic review: Impressive but not quite iconic
- 2 Acer Spin 5 review: Value for money but conditions apply
- 3 Huawei Mate 10 Pro Review: A solid winter flagship that cribs from the best
- 4 Sony LF-S50G review: Google Assistant and then some
- 5 Google Pixel 2 review: not quite 'pixel perfect' but damn close
Latest News Articles
- JBL join smart speaker arena with the portable, waterproof and (Google-powered) JBL Link range
- BenQ Debuts True 4K UHD HDR Home Cinema Projector Designed for Modern Families
- Foxtel Now's new streaming device launched weeks after TelstraTV
- Logitech announce new MX Sound speakers
- Telstra looks to solve 'Entertainment Exasperation' with new 4K Telstra TV
PCW Evaluation Team
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
- CES 2018: Belkin go big on wearables accessories
- CES 2018: Alcatel Embrace 18:9 Aspect Ratio In 2018
- OPPO Load Up A73 Smartphone With Flagship Features
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
Product Launch Showcase
- TPChange AnalystVIC
- CCLead Pega Systems ArchitectACT
- FTJava DeveloperWA
- CCMining Planning System EngineerQLD
- CCJunior to Mid Level Java Developer - BankingACT
- CCJunior to Mid Level Java Developer - BankingNSW
- FTNetwork Administrator - HP SwitchesOther
- FTDigital Producer | High Profile Website | 6 Month ContractOther
- CCHadoop DeveloperACT
- CCTrainer - Information/Cyber Security ProjectQLD
- CCFull Stack Developer/Senior AnalystQLD
- FTSenior Business Systems AnalystOther
- FTPerformance and Capacity Management SpecialistOther
- FTICT Team Lead - EL1 -Non-OngoingACT
- CCAzure Consultant / ArchitectVIC
- TPProject ManagerNSW
- FTEPMO Support AnalystWA
- FTLevel 2 Desktop Support AnalystOther
- CCApplication Architect - CloudVIC
- CCSenior Agile Project Manager - TelcoVIC
- TPTest Analyst / CoordinatorQLD
- CCCyber Security Team/stream LeadVIC
- FTPerformance Test Consultant X1Other
- FTSenior Technical LeadSA
- CCDevOps EngineerQLD