Belkin Australia Flip
- Convenient, LED light, Ease of setup, Colour Coded Wires
- Large and Bulky base
If you constantly use two computers, the Flip will definitely save you plenty of time and desktop space.
Price$ 99.99 (AUD)
Two computers. One monitor. No problem.
This is the latest marketing catch cry for Belkin's new Flip; a switch which allows you to share one monitor between two computers by simply pressing a small remote. An ingeniously simple yet at the same time intuitive device, the Flip ensures you can keep your desktop free of extra peripherals and cables by using just one monitor, keyboard, mouse and if required, speakers.
The Flip comes in two parts; the main base with connector ports and cables and the switch itself. The base contains inputs for a USB keyboard and mouse, a headphone jack, a standard VGA input as well as the switch plug. It is pretty easy to setup - first connect your monitor, keyboard mouse and speakers to the base, then plug in the remote to the base.
From here you simply connect one set of cables to the monitor, USB and speaker ports on the first computer and do the same for the second. You need to connect both the VGA and USB cables obviously, but you don't need the speaker cable plugged in if you don't want to use it - it is more for convenience than anything else. Still, the ability to use your speakers with two computers is pretty good value, even if the Flips main claim to fame is to use a single monitor with dual PCs.
The only complaint we had with the physical aspects of the Flip is the main base; it is a little bulky. In saying this however, it can be neatly tucked away behind your computer or monitor, away from prying eyes; during our testing, the only visible part of the Flip was the switch; the rest of the cables and base were hidden behind our computers. So this isn't anything which detracts from the product overall.
In good news for Mac fans, the Flip can be used with any PC or Mac computer - and even supports Linux. You can use any combination of PC and Mac desktop or notebook computers; we tested ours with an iMac 17-inch model and a PC. The results were fairly flawless, and the anti-slip rubber backing at the bottom of the switch itself is an excellent touch. Conveniently, the LED light on the switch lets you know which computer you are connected to; green for the first and yellow for the second - all the wires are colour coded, so be sure to take note which one is which when you first plug it in.
The Flip supports video resolutions of up to 2048 x 1536 and is also compatible with all VGA and DVI-I monitors. There are two versions; a USB and a PS2. If you intend to use the Flip for a Mac, it will obviously only work with the USB model.
At this price the Flip is very competitive in the KVM market. Ideal for business professionals who bring their laptops home from work and consumer or businesses who use two computers, the Flip is definitely an option worth considering.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei P10 smartphone review
- 2 Huawei P10 Plus phone: Full, in-depth review
- 3 Motorola Moto G5 smartphone review
- 4 Oppo A57 phone: full, in-depth review
- 5 Moto G5 Plus phone: full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- FSP's wild new power supply is liquid-cooled and built for silence
- Some Radeon RX Vega graphics cards will be faster than the Frontier Edition
- Nvidia quietly launches the GeForce GT 1030, a Radeon RX 550 rival with a modest price
- AMD's first Radeon Vega graphics card isn't for you, and gamers may be waiting a while
- AMD's Ryzen Mobile chips are ready for liftoff, with the new Ryzen Pro not far behind
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- Asus ROG Strix Z270F Gaming motherboard review
- The simple RAM buying guide
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - online gamblingNSW
- CCChange LeadQLD
- FTSolution ArchitectQLD
- FTUX / UI Designer MobileNSW
- CCSenior PMO AnalystNSW
- FTDesktop EngineerNSW
- CCReporting System Specialist - Port MacquarieNSW
- CCJunior .NET DeveloperQLD
- TPICT Customer Support OfficerNSW
- CCSQL Server Database Specialist l Bathurst LocationNSW
- CCScada Project ManagerWA
- FTDeployment Engineer / Field Service EngineerQLD
- FTSenior SharePoint Administrator. Location -ACTACT
- TPProject Test ManagerQLD
- CCData ArchitectACT
- FTSenior Drupal DeveloperQLD
- FTWeb Developer - VR 3D WebGL - Lake MacquarieNSW
- CCSenior DeveloperNSW
- FTIntermediate Project ManagerQLD
- CCSenior Systems EngineerVIC
- CCSenior Process ModellerNSW
- CCTechnical Specialist - Cloud ServicesVIC
- CCTRIM TrainerACT
- TPAssistant Change Manager | System Implementation ProjectQLD
- FTProject Manager HFC Capacity ManagementVIC