BenQ Australia FP231W
- Funky design, portrait orientation features
- Poor image quality
Good looks and nice features don't adequately compensate for the FP231W 's less-than-stellar display.
Price$ 2,799.00 (AUD)
Benq's 23" wide-screen LCD monitor--the FP231W--makes an impressive desk trophy. I can't tell you how many co-workers stopped by to cast covetous glances at its business-class beauty. But unfortunately, its performance doesn't live up to the great first impression.
Although the monitor's sedate charcoal-and-matte-silver cabinet looks very professional, the $1999 FP231W is clearly meant for greater things than just spreadsheets. In addition to analog and digital inputs, it includes S-Video and composite inputs. The unit's vast screen, with a 1920 x 1200 native resolution, can display several applications at once--and that isn't counting the picture-in-picture window for watching TV or videos.
However, in my informal tests of a shipping model, regular video seemed to be a little grainy and ghosty. High-definition video was sharper, but still showed some ghosting. In any application, light areas appeared shimmery and washed out, causing black text on a white background to display as less than perfect.
The FP231W offers some nice features. For example, unlike most 23" models it can swivel from side to side as well as tilt. Even when I raised the monitor several centimetres on its base, it felt stable and well balanced. Sadly, such fancy features don't overcome the unit's iffy image quality.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei P10 smartphone review
- 2 Huawei P10 Plus phone: Full, in-depth review
- 3 Motorola Moto G5 smartphone review
- 4 Oppo A57 phone: full, in-depth review
- 5 Moto G5 Plus phone: full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Dell's luscious new 4K monitor is bold, bright, and HDR-infused
- Samsung's 49-inch mega-wide display may displace multi-monitor setups
- More high-end GPUs are now compatible with Dell's 8K monitor
- Dell's wild 8K monitor goes on sale with a just-as-stunning price tag
- LG's 4K HDR monitor gets a price and release date, heralding a new era for PC displays
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- Asus ROG Strix Z270F Gaming motherboard review
- The simple RAM buying guide
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - online gamblingNSW
- FTFull Stack DeveloperQLD
- FTChange & Communications AnalystQLD
- FTPeopleSoft Technical Campus Solution DeveloperNSW
- FTUX DesignerNSW
- CCBusiness Change ManagerNSW
- CCSeeking a Perl Developer for a 5-10 Day Project!NSW
- CCProcurement & Contract SpecialistNSW
- FTManager, DevOpsQLD
- FTTest AnalystVIC
- CCSenior Process ModellerNSW
- CCMaster Data Officer - SAPNSW
- FTAgile CoachNSW
- FTWeb Developer - VR 3D WebGL - Lake MacquarieNSW
- FTSenior Analyst Programmer - Equities or DerivativesNSW
- CCSalesforce DeveloperNSW
- CCTransport EngineerVIC
- CCSenior Data EngineerNSW
- CCInfrastructure Business AnalystNSW
- FTNetwork SpecialistNSW
- FTSupport Engineer Level 3QLD
- FTBI BA Consultant l Microstrategy, Business ObjectsNSW
- TPSenior Sitecore Developer (.NET)QLD
- CCJava / J2EE DeveloperVIC
- CCSenior Project ManagerNSW