Bethesda Softworks Preview: Fallout 3
- You get to play as a toddler!
- We'll let you know once we get our hands on a copy
Visually, the game already looks phenomenal, and is far, far more detailed than the already stunning Oblivion. Bethesda is promising virtually identical graphics and performance between the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 and PC versions as well as simultaneous launch dates. Late 2008 is a long way off...but we have a hunch that Fallout 3 is one game worth waiting for.
While Fallout 3 hasn't hit our shores yet, we did have the privilege of seeing the demo.
Oblivion was just the beginning. We unearth the dark, mutant-infested world of Fallout 3.
Flashback: in 2077, the Year of Our Lord, the United States and China launch a brief, vicious nuclear artillery exchange. As it turns out, Armageddon isn't the end of the world; it is, as narrator Ron Perlman describes, a "prologue to another bloody chapter" in man's existence.
Just before the war, many sought refuge in massive underground bunkers called Vaults. Once sealed, the Vaults are sealed permanently -- nobody enters, nobody leaves. This is the dark world of Fallout, a cult hit on the PC in the late 90's and now an upcoming action-RPG from Bethesda Softworks, creator of The Elder Scrolls series.
You call this a super mutant?
Fallout 3 is set 200 years after the bombs dropped, some 80 years following the first Fallout. You begin the game in Vault 101, a facility that lies beneath the bomb-blasted surface of Washington, D.C. -- a similar setup to past Fallout titles. But rather than start as a standard low-level character, Bethesda breaks role-playing convention by putting you in the satin-laced booties of a toddler.
During this "baby segment", you'll learn to walk, play with toys, and lay the groundwork for your character class as an adult. It's a tutorial and an innovative prologue all wrapped into one. Later, at the tender age of 19, you sneak out of the confines of Vault 101 to find your father (played by Hollywood veteran Liam Neeson), an influential scientist who has disappeared from his lifelong home.
Upon leaving the vault, you emerge into the shattered, ruined corpse of Washington, D.C. Vile "super mutants" prowl the sewers and giant ants skitter around the nearby foothills. As in The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, Fallout 3's action takes place primarily through a first-person perspective (an over-the-shoulder camera is also available). And though you'll tote a variety of shotguns, rifles and laser carbines, Fallout 3 isn't a first-person shooter...at least, not exactly. Strategy and skill selection play a vital role in your success, as does targeting enemy body parts to cripple them in various ways. Fallout 3 is first and foremost a role-playing game. Action counts, but this ain't no Halo.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Samsung Galaxy Note 8: Full, in-depth review
- 2 Huawei Y5 (2017): Full, in depth review
- 3 LG G6 Plus: Full, in-depth review
- 4 First Look: Nikon D850
- 5 OnePlus 5: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Robot House announce vacuum-bot adventure game ahead of PAX Australia
- Wargaming launches ANZ servers for World of Tanks
- VR fairytale game Luna due for Oct 17 release
- Event schedule announced for PAX Aus 2017
- Hand of Fate 2 set for Nov. 7 launch, will support 4K HD on Xbox
PCW Evaluation Team
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
- Canon 6D MK II
- Panasonic’s EX600U UHD HDR TV + HTB688 soundbar:
- Which case should I buy for the Samsung Galaxy Note 8?
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
Product Launch Showcase
- TPSystem TesterQLD
- CCInstructional DesignerNSW
- CCOracle Identity and Access Management AdministratorNSW
- CCCall or Contact Centre OperatorNSW
- FTNetwork Infrastructure Development EngineerNSW
- FTDeveloper- Xamarin, ASP.Net, Ajax, Java Script, MVC , AndroidOther
- FTJunior IT Admin CoordinatorACT
- FTService Delivery ManagerOther
- FTService Request ManagerSA
- FTNetwork EngineerOther
- FTSolutions DesignerNSW
- FTIT Security Assurance AnalystOther
- FTNetwork Solution ArchitectOther
- CCSite Acquisition CoordinatorNSW
- FTTest AnalystOther
- FTSolution ArchitectWA
- FTSAP Payroll Test LeadOther
- FTNetwork Data EngineerOther
- TPICT Procurement Officer | NorthsideQLD
- FTTechnical Digital Producer | 6 Month ContractOther
- CCSenior Applications EngineerACT
- CCProject CoordinatorVIC
- FTCampaign AnalystOther
- TPLead Data Business AnalystQLD
- TPProject Services - Support RolesACT