BitDefender Internet Security 10.0
- Offers improved proactive detection.
- Less-than-friendly user interface.
Price$ 86.00 (AUD)
BitDefender provides a full suit of armour to protect your PC when it's online, either while you're browsing the Internet, sending e-mail or simply while your PC is connected via always-on broadband. It does so with the help of a suite of tools: antivirus, spam protection, parental controls, firewall and antispyware. This selection of weapons more than matches those offered by other Internet security suites, including Symantec and McAfee.
The modular design and the fact that every aspect of BitDefender has been coded directly by the manufacturer, Softwin, means the code is more concise. It takes up a fraction of the space consumed by many of BitDefender's bloated rivals.
BitDefender's background is in corporate security products -- and it shows in the complex documentation and the less-than-friendly interface. It's not always clear what you should be doing. We found that setting up required some technical knowledge.
With each module, you can use a slider to set the level of protection -- from paranoid to laid back. Alternatively, advanced users can set a custom level, selecting exactly what the software will allow or block.
Antivirus protection is on two levels. It scans your system in real-time, and you can schedule full system scans. This version of the software offers improved proactive detection. B-HAVE (behavioural heuristic analyzer in virtual environments), allows unknown software to be tested in a virtual computer environment. This means that bugs can be stopped before they reach the OS (operating system), even if they have not been officially flagged up as malicious code.
At its default setting, the firewall did seem to throw up lots of hard-to-interpret warning messages, but you can train it as you work by setting up rules to always allow or block access. Version 10.0 includes an updated list of trusted applications, so it can advise on whether to allow access to the Internet. And the firewall includes port scan detection and will block any attempt to connect to ports to identify vulnerabilities.
The antispam feature has been updated to include a phishing detector. It features improved adaptive filtering to block unwanted mail, which develops filtering criteria based on past decisions.
Spyware is on the increase and, as with most Internet security suites, BitDefender protects against it. It will monitor and prevent spyware in real-time and includes a copy of Uncover to detect rootkits before installation.
The parental controls module allows you to block access to inappropriate Web sites or e-mails, or to stop access to the Internet entirely. You can even set different profiles dependent on the age of the user.
BitDefender's after sales support is commendable. Hourly updates are available and 24-hour support is included. Home users are entitled to use two copies of the software.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei Mate 10 Pro Review: A solid winter flagship that cribs from the best
- 2 Google Pixel 2 review: not quite 'pixel perfect' but damn close
- 3 Huawei Nova 2i review: Flagship features get smuggled into the mid-tier
- 4 Moto X4 review: This is what a world without MotoMods looks like
- 5 Giabyte Aorus X9 Gaming Laptop review: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- D-Link Adds Android Support and Launches Updated App for Omna 180 Cam HD
- Monitoring the home has become more flexible with Uniden’s App Cam Solo
- ESET works with Google to halt dangerous malware
- Cybersecurity is a Shared Responsibility, Warns ESET
- Nest jumps into home security with Nest Secure
PCW Evaluation Team
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
- Huawei Mate 10 Pro review
- Dell Inspiron 5675 Gaming Desktop review
- Hands On: Our first impressions of Sony's a7R III
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
Product Launch Showcase
- CCProject SchedulerACT
- TPAppian DeveloperQLD
- FTFull Stack .Net DeveloperQLD
- FTIT Desktop ManagerOther
- FTPageUp BAOther
- CCProject Implementation Support - Telecom IndustryVIC
- FTChange Lead, SalesforceOther
- TPieMR Program Director - Gold CoastQLD
- FTDigital BAOther
- FTManagement Consultant - ConsultancyOther
- FTWindows EngineerOther
- FTSenior PHP DeveloperNSW
- FTNetwork EngineerOther
- FTTechnical Lead / Senior Systems EngineerOther
- FTTest AnalystACT
- FTPayments Business AnalystVIC
- FTSenior Business Analyst - Risk and Compliance StreamOther
- FTNetwork EngineerACT
- FTWorkspace/ Workplace Lead/ Manager - ABW environmentOther
- FTFront End Developer - Ractive.JS (Urgent)Other
- FTSAP Test ManagerACT
- CCProgram ManagerNSW
- FTSystems AdministratorOther
- FTSenior Technical Engineer - MacVIC
- FTAccount Management/Customer Service - MULTIPLE ROLESSA