A printer that is efficient, reliable and can work seamlessly with your systems and software.Read this solicitor's review to find out more!
BitDefender Total Security 2009
- Flexible online backup, File Vault, IM encryption for Yahoo and MSN Messenger, central management of BitDefender installed on home network PCs, games mode, improved scanning speeds
- Detection rates haven't improved
BitDefender Total Security 2009 offers good but not state-of-the-art protection, which is a pity as the product boasts a raft of neat features that make a small but noticeable difference.
Price$ 87.44 (AUD)
'Total Security' is a bold claim, so BitDefender Total Security 2009 has a lot to live up to — and, by and large, it does.
So what's new in this year's BitDefender? On top of the usual improved anti-malware/firewall, anti-phishing, ID protection and parental controls BitDefender Total Security 2009 includes such goodies as flexible online backup, 2GB's worth, with support for incremental or differential backups, a secure storage space, aka File Vault, protecting personal information on your PC, IM encryption for Yahoo and MSN Messenger, central management of BitDefender installed on home network PCs, a less intrusive games mode (it helpfully spots ‘full screen' apps and asks if they are games) as well as better performance with lower resource consumption.
Another cute feature of BitDefender Total Security 2009 is the automatic scanning of devices you plug in, such as USB memory sticks or CD-Rs. A list of interesting additions, in other words.
The BitDefender Total Security 2009 user interface (UI) is largely unchanged — you get a choice of two; a basic, ‘big-button' dashboard to appeal to novices, and an advanced UI, for those who like to tweak. Either way, it's easy enough to master.
Scanning speeds are better with this version, although not the first time round — BitDefender Total Security 2009 ignores unchanged files, which noticeably shortens scan times.
Sometimes it can take several successive scans to remove persistent infections. And if BitDefender Total Security 2009 finds a damaged file that has been backed up online, it'll automatically replace the damaged file with the backed up one.
The firewall keeps those annoying pop-up questions to a minimum but not to the minimal levels of, say, Norton 360. Nevertheless, BitDefender Total Security 2009's is one of the better ‘suite' firewalls. Spam filtering is just as good, if a little slow.
When it came to efficacy, BitDefender Total Security 2009's ability to detect the various categories of malware is slightly unbalanced. The recent AV-Test.org test of security suites gave BitDefender an impressive 97.6 per cent detection score when it came to malware but only a so-so score of 87.8 per cent for spyware. This was more or less the same scores achieved by the 2008 version so detection rates haven't improved. Its rivals have, however, moved on and you can get near 100 per cent scores from the likes of Avira and Avast.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 ASUS FX503 review: An ROG Notebook By Any Other Name
- 2 HP Envy x360 (Ryzen 5) review: Power over portability
- 3 Oppo A73 review: The budget smartphone that sets the bar for 2018
- 4 Oppo R11s review: The iClone you know and love, but not quite the one you deserve
- 5 Blackberry KEYone Black Edition review: What the original KEYone should have been
Latest News Articles
- New study finds IT professionals lack confidence in their ability to detect and contain cyber breaches
- New ATR Findings: Hidden Cobra Targets Financial Sector
- McAfee Launches Industry’s Most Comprehensive Cloud Security Solution for Microsoft Azure
- D-Link ANZ Partners Exclusively with AVSystem for Zero-Touch Device Management in Australia and New Zealand
- Intel tells customers to stop rolling out faulty patches
PCW Evaluation Team
Touch screen visibility and operation was great and easy to navigate. Each menu and sub-menu was in an understandable order and category
The printer was convenient, produced clear and vibrant images and was very easy to use
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
- Picture Perfect: OPPO prepare their boldest smartphone yet
- Gigabyte AERO 15: Full, in-depth review
- Samsung Galaxy S9+ review: A predictably-exellent flagship uplifted by a standout camera
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
Product Launch Showcase
- CCSenior Development DBA - OracleNSW
- FTProject Manager/Business Analyst (Hybrid role) - Adelaide BasedSA
- FTService Centre ConsultantQLD
- FTPrinciple Health Sales Executive - Enterprise IT Healthcare Perm - Syd / MelbNSW
- CCHR Coordinator - TelcoVIC
- FTC# .Net Developer | Fintech Products | Market LeaderOther
- FTApplication Support ManagerOther
- TPSenior C++ DeveloperNSW
- FTStakeholder Engagement Lead x2 (Land Access)Other
- FTData Warehouse Project ManagerVIC
- FTSAP IS-U and SAP EWM Greenfield implemenationVIC
- FTSenior Java DeveloperQLD
- CCPortal DeveloperNSW
- FTSenior Business AnalystOther
- FTSystem AdministratorOther
- TPScrum MasterNSW
- FTConsulting Java DeveloperQLD
- TPTechnical Support ResourceVIC
- FTSAP CRM ABAP-BRF+ DevelopersOther
- FTPrincipal Consultant - Digital And TransformationOther
- FTTechnical Quality Analyst (Payments, data, application integration)VIC
- FTDesktop Support Engineer - OnsiteOther
- TPBusiness AnalystQLD
- TPEnterprise/Service Architect - Service Management ExperienceQLD
- FTSoftware/Application Development EngineerQLD