Bose Computer MusicMonitor
- Exceptional sound quality, attractive design, easy to set-up
- Minor bass loss in far low end of the register
The Bose Computer MusicMonitors are easily the best PC speakers we have reviewed. Considering their lack of a sub-woofer, the speakers produce vibrant rich sound and are a pleasure to use.
Price$ 499.00 (AUD)
When it comes to high quality audio, Bose certainly know what they are doing. The Bose Computer MusicMonitors are a compact speaker system designed to give high fidelity sound without the need for a separate sub-woofer. For the most part, they deliver quite convincingly with bass that is quite impressive for a two-speaker setup.
We tested the speakers with a wide range of music. Whether it was orchestral, a piano concerto, jazz, hip-hop or pop music, the speakers delivered excellent crisp sound. The only downfall was in the bass where the lowest frequencies tended to be a little truncated. In order to create this low frequency rumble, a subwoofer is usually used as it can manipulate the large quantities of air required. In a small speaker system it is very hard to create a broad range of bass due to the confined space.
The MusicMonitors produce far more bass than you would expect from something of their size and an even more impressive amount of treble. Their strengths far outweigh their weaknesses and, in fact, we would consider these the best PC speakers we have reviewed to date.
Using a performance of the Prelude in C Minor by Rachmaninov we were impressed by the clarity of each note. In this example, bass was not an issue at all. The lowest notes were delivered with clarity and the interjecting high notes pierced the bass with precision. Out of all the different types of music we used on these speakers, all the piano pieces were easily the most incredible.
In orchestral pieces, the violins always tended to pull more focus than a French Horn or the building rumble of the timpani. In the upper registers, the audio is sublime with every instrument clearly heard and their position in the soundstage well understood by the listener.
Across most types of modern music the speakers performed beautifully. It was in bass-heavy genres like hip-hop and R&B that any weakness was evident. Human voices were accurately reproduced with vivid detail. No matter what song we used, the voices were always clearly separated and easily distinguished. Minute details like breaths could also be heard without being lost in the instruments being played.
We also tested using films and video games and found that both performed exceptionally for a two-speaker setup. The only complaint once again falls on the bass levels, but considering the strengths of the system, its minor limitations can easily be forgiven.
The Bose Computer MusicMonitors are easy to set-up, small in stature and attractive in design. In the end, they are the best PC speakers we have reviewed to date and are only hampered by their bass limitations and price. At such a high price we expected a little more but after listening to our favourite piano performances with such high fidelity, we can't complain too much.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 HTC U11 phone: Full, in-depth review
- 2 Gigabyte Aero 15 corporate gaming laptop review
- 3 Huawei P10 smartphone review
- 4 Huawei P10 Plus phone: Full, in-depth review
- 5 Motorola Moto G5 smartphone review
Latest News Articles
- Radeon Vega Frontier Edition: Benchmarks and behind-the-scenes AMD interview
- Hands-on: AMD's Radeon Vega Frontier Edition vs Nvidia Titan Xp
- What the Radeon Vega Frontier Edition's specs and pricing mean for PC gamers
- AMD Threadripper exclusive: Only Alienware's Area-51 will have it in 2017
- Intel's revealed the Core i9 ship dates, but you won't like them
PCW Evaluation Team
The HP OfficeJet 250 Mobile Printer is a great device that fits perfectly into my fast paced and mobile lifestyle. My first impression of the printer itself was how incredibly compact and sleek the device was.
Wireless printing from my iPhone was also a handy feature, the whole experience was quick and seamless with no setup requirements - accessed through the default iOS printing menu options.
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
- MSI GL62M 7RDX gaming laptop review
- Alcatel A3 XL phone: Full, in-depth review
- Sony X9300E 2017 TV: Full, in-depth review
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- CCSenior Teradata Developer/Analyst ProgrammerNSW
- FT.Net Developer (WCF & WPF)Other
- CCMultiple Front End Developers - Angular 2 | Bootstrap | jQueryQLD
- FTDatabase DeveloperOther
- FTInternal Recruitment Coordinator - ITOther
- FTPHP DeveloperWA
- FTOnsite Helpdesk TechnicianOther
- CCSystems Network Engineer - DDOSVIC
- TPSolution Architect - CISCO PrimeQLD
- FTSalesforce Consultant - AdministrationQLD
- CCNetezza DeveloperNSW
- CCSenior Automation Test AnalystQLD
- FTERP Business AnalystOther
- FTSenior Systems Engineer - Virtualisation and StorageVIC
- FTSenior Project Manager - Transmission and RAN DeploymentsOther
- CCMigration Project ManagerNSW
- CCFront End DeveloperQLD
- FTIT Field Services Manager -NationalOther
- FTSoftware EngineerOther
- FTSenior Business Analyst, Investment FundsNSW
- CCSenior Business AnalystQLD
- FTHFC Network Modeller | 6mth ContractOther
- FTHR Project Officer (Workforce Planning)Other
- CCWeb Applications SupportQLD
- FTLevel 2 and 3 Server EngineerOther