Brother International (Aust) HL-2040
- Small size, fast
- Not great graphics prints
If your quantity and quality needs are modest, the Brother HL-2040's sticker price will make it at home on your desk.
Price$ 299.00 (AUD)
The Brother HL-2040 laser printer would fit comfortably in an office that's tight on space and on budget. Its footprint is slightly larger than that of similarly priced models, but it looks more like a scaled-down professional laser printer than a souped-up personal printer. For instance, a proper paper drawer built into the base of the printer can hold up to 250 sheets of paper.
A manual bypass slot lets you print on different paper, such as letterhead or legal-size sheets, or on thicker media, such as envelopes (which you can't load into the main paper drawer). This approach is fine for occasional use, but it does require you to feed items one at a time, so printing a thousand envelopes for a mass mailing wouldn't be fun. If you expect your print demands to grow over time, bear in mind that the HL-2040 lacks any upgrade options for additional paper trays or double-sided printing.
Heavy users need to be wary of the HL-2040's consumables costs, too. Its toner cartridges may seem reasonably priced, but they yield only 2500 pages (according to Brother's estimates). A larger sibling (the Brother HL-2070N) includes built-in Ethernet that would be useful for a small office, and costs only a little more; but both models use the same expensive consumables.
The HL-2040's control panel has a ready light, three warning LEDs and a single Go button for operations such as waking the printer from sleep mode, clearing an error condition or cancelling the current print job. This range of options may seem simple, but the software driver gives you all the control you need from your PC. Like other low-cost printers that depend on Windows for processing, this one leaves the rendering of your pages to Windows, but it still achieved very good performance scores in our tests. It printed text pages at a speedy 16.6 pages per minute, and its output rate of 10.1ppm for graphics is above average for a small-office printer, too.
At its default settings, the HL-2040's text quality is perfectly adequate for everyday use. In our tests, I saw some fuzziness in the finest characters and jagged edges on diagonals, but closely spaced bold characters (which challenge so many lasers) remained separate. Line art was too grainy for my liking, and a greyscale image suffered from a blown-out appearance, in which dark areas became too dark and highlights washed out completely.
The HL-2040's printed Quick Setup Guide isn't colourful, but it explains the installation process efficiently. The chart on the front cover guides you through the options, but you'll need to ignore choices that apply only to other Brother printers in the same price range. A full User's Guide is included in PDF format on the software CD-ROM.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei P10 smartphone review
- 2 Huawei P10 Plus phone: Full, in-depth review
- 3 Motorola Moto G5 smartphone review
- 4 Oppo A57 phone: full, in-depth review
- 5 Moto G5 Plus phone: full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Epson launches new high-speed Enterprise inkjet printer
- When life gives you a 3D printer, make a house
- Hacker hijacks thousands of publicly exposed printers to warn owners
- HP shutting down default FTP, Telnet access to network printers
- Why won’t my printer connect to my wireless router?
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- Asus ROG Strix Z270F Gaming motherboard review
- The simple RAM buying guide
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - online gamblingNSW
- CCSecurity Incident Analyst - Splunk - TelcoVIC
- CCReporting System Specialist - Port MacquarieNSW
- FTChange LeadQLD
- CCIdentity Access Management - Business AnalystVIC
- TPWeb DeveloperSA
- CCFront End DeveloperNSW
- CCState-wide Business Transition Lead - BrisbaneVIC
- FTSoftware and Applications Programmer (Java Developer)ACT
- CCChange LeadQLD
- FTSenior Network EngineerNSW
- CCSQL Server Database Specialist l Bathurst LocationNSW
- FTDigital Business Analyst | Online BookingQLD
- CCSolution ArchitectNSW
- FTSolution ArchitectNSW
- CCData ArchitectWA
- FTSenior DBANSW
- FTTest AnalystSA
- FTData Analyst/ Reporting AnalystQLD
- FTSalesforce ConsultantQLD
- CCProcurement & Contract SpecialistNSW
- FTApplication Support EngineerACT
- FTScrum Master - TechnicalNSW
- TPSenior Project ManagerVIC