A printer that is efficient, reliable and can work seamlessly with your systems and software.Read this solicitor's review to find out more!
- Fast printing, quality output
- Optional 250-sheet paper trays costs extra
With fast printing, quality output, easy networking, and a built-in duplexer, the Brother HL-5250DN would be a great choice for a small office.
Price$ 549.00 (AUD)
Brother has another winner on its hands with the HL-5250DN. Its low price tag and compact footprint make it a good fit for the tight budgets and crowded workspaces of many small offices. Yet this attractive monochrome laser also produces top output quality at outstanding speed, can print on both sides of the paper, and hooks up easily to your network.
In addition to a standard 250-sheet paper tray in the printer's base, the front panel folds forward to reveal another tray that can feed up to 50 sheets of alternate media. You have to use this secondary tray to feed envelopes, and though you can stack them only three high, that's better than other printers that take only one at a time. The printer lacks a rear exit to provide a flat paper path, so there's some chance of creasing the edges of your envelopes. However, the advantages of a built-in duplexer at this price should outweigh that risk. You can attach up to two optional 250-sheet paper trays to the bottom of the printer which isn't exactly a bargain.
The control panel to the right of the HL-5250DN's 150-sheet output bin consists of just two buttons and four lights. Even without LCD-based menus for entering network parameters, the printer is easy to install, thanks in part to Brother's efficient, if not colorful, setup booklet. You get no other printed documentation, but the software CD-ROM includes a video to illustrate the initial setup and the User's Guide as a PDF document. You can download Brother's useful set of network administration tools at no cost from the company's Web site.
Replacing the toner cartridge is easy enough, but you have to pull the drum assembly out from the front of the printer before detaching the cartridge and attaching a new one. Out of the box, the HL-5250DN comes with the standard-size toner cartridge rated by Brother (according to the industry standard of 5 percent page coverage) for 3500 pages. You can save money by buying high capacity cartridges rated for 7000 pages but when you factor in replacing the drum assembly every 25,000 pages, your cost of consumables would be a reasonable 3.1 cents per page.
Our staff positively glowed about the HL-5250DN's print quality. Text looked crisp and sharp, with just a few oddities visible in the shape of some characters. Although our line art sample was a little light, its nicely distinct close parallel lines and barely perceptible banding made it one of the best samples produced by a monochrome laser printer. Even our challenging grayscale image looked good--it was a little dark and showed some strong moire patterns in textures, but its fine contrast and minimal banding impressed us.
In our speed tests, the HL-5250DN printed text at 21.6 pages per minute, which is competitive with lasers costing several times as much. At 9.6 ppm, graphics also emerged quite fast from the HL-5250DN.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 ASUS FX503 review: An ROG Notebook By Any Other Name
- 2 HP Envy x360 (Ryzen 5) review: Power over portability
- 3 Oppo A73 review: The budget smartphone that sets the bar for 2018
- 4 Oppo R11s review: The iClone you know and love, but not quite the one you deserve
- 5 Blackberry KEYone Black Edition review: What the original KEYone should have been
Latest News Articles
- Epson Launches First Double-Sided A3+ 4-In-1 Inkjet EcoTank Printer
- Epson launches new Expression Premium Photo Range
- Epson Australia Unveils New Expression Home Range of Printers
- Epson launches new high-speed Enterprise inkjet printer
- When life gives you a 3D printer, make a house
PCW Evaluation Team
Touch screen visibility and operation was great and easy to navigate. Each menu and sub-menu was in an understandable order and category
The printer was convenient, produced clear and vibrant images and was very easy to use
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
- Frostpunk review: A richly conceived and vividly realised city sim
- Netgear Arlo Go review: An expensive but comprehensive home security solution
- Fitbit Versa review: New look, better price, same limits
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
Product Launch Showcase
- FTProject Co-ordinatorNSW
- CCSCCM Application PackagerQLD
- CCSenior Cost Analyst - TelcoVIC
- TPBusiness Intelligence Application Developer/ReporterQLD
- FTTechnical Quality Analyst (Payments, data, application integration)VIC
- FTOBIEE DeveloperACT
- FTMarketing Analyst - $60 phOther
- CCSenior Node.js DeveloperQLD
- CCProject Manager - Service ManagementWA
- TPJunior Network EngineerQLD
- FTService Asset & Configuration ManagerNSW
- FTHelp desk Support AnalystOther
- CCPackager / Packager TesterNSW
- FTBusiness Analyst - Cyber Security TransformationOther
- CCStorage EngineerNSW
- FTStorage Operations ManagerOther
- FTFull Stack Developer - (Mid Level)Other
- FTServices Delivery ManagerOther
- TPTechnical Business AnalystQLD
- FTSenior Technical Project Manager - starting in 3-4 monthsACT
- FTProject Manager/LeaderSA
- FTSenior Front End DeveloperQLD
- FTUnified Endpoint Management Systems AnalystOther
- TPSenior Project Manager | Process & SystemsQLD
- FTSecurity SpecialistOther