BullGuard Australia Internet Security 8.5
BullGuard Internet Security 8.5 is a 'point' upgrade that includes a more secure firewall.
- BullGuard Internet Security users get a free upgrade, more secure firewall that consumes fewer resources
- Jury is out as to its current effectiveness against malware
Simplicity is the name of the game with BullGuard and the new version retains this — it’s undoubtedly easy to use. It’s also improved and remains a reasonable choice for the home user. But is it as good as Norton Internet Security 2009? No.
Price$ 89.95 (AUD)
The new BullGuard Internet Security 8.5 is a point upgrade to its predecessor, BullGuard Internet Security 8, which had a somewhat spotty reputation. The coverage offered remains as before: antivirus, antispyware, firewall, a new spam filter and backup, which includes 5GB of secure online storage as standard.
You don't get parental controls or private data protection, so the coverage offered by BullGuard is slightly restricted compared to some of its rivals. For $89 you get an annual licence for three PCs, and extra online storage is available for extra cost. Existing BullGuard Internet Security users will be automatically upgraded to the 8.5 version.
One of the major improvements is a new more secure firewall that consumes fewer resources. It certainly is one of the easier firewalls to configure, even if you opt for the 'Advanced' view.
It can be can be set up automatically but it's also possible to go in and manually tweak it. The firewall automatically approves apps that require Internet access so no prior 'app scanning' is required; the previous version required too much user intervention. Like the spam filter, it also appears to be collaborative — unknown apps that you vouch for are reported to BullGuard.
The other major improvement is a new spam filter which claims to offer 'comprehensive phishing protection' as well as better performance. Again, the old version was less than perfect and the new version is much better.
It's collaborative so when you identify an e-mail as spam, all other BullGuard users spam filters are sent the information. Like BullGuard's anti-virus and anti-spyware, the spam filter integrates with Outlook, Outlook Express and Thunderbird, checking all incoming and outgoing emails. We accessed our spam 'honey-trap' and BullGuard's accuracy (before training) in sending spam to the Deleted folder was in the order of 99% - not bad.
On the AV front, this release offers increased rootkit detection capabilities and updates every two hours. It scans files on schedule, on demand, and on access. It also checks for viruses in incoming and outgoing e-mail.
Interestingly, BullGuard doesn't feature much in the major AV group tests such ICSA Labs, West Coast Labs or AV-Comparatives.org. It has only appeared five times in the VB100 list but v8.0 earned two 'fails' in 2008 for missing viruses in the wild list, despite being based on the well-regarded BitDefender engine, so the jury is out as to its current effectiveness against malware.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei P10 smartphone review
- 2 Huawei P10 Plus phone: Full, in-depth review
- 3 Motorola Moto G5 smartphone review
- 4 Oppo A57 phone: full, in-depth review
- 5 Moto G5 Plus phone: full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Wanawiki is the WannaCry fix that might save affected PCs—if you work fast
- Digital signature service DocuSign hacked and email addresses stolen
- The WannaCry ransomware might have a link to North Korea
- WannaCry attacks are only the beginning
- Old Windows PCs can stop WannaCry ransomware with new Microsoft patch
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- Huawei P10 smartphone review
- Huawei P10 Plus phone: Full, in-depth review
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - online gamblingNSW
- CCICT Security Systems AdministratorNSW
- FTScrum Master/Project ManagerQLD
- CCProject ManagerVIC
- FTSolution ArchitectNSW
- FTUrgent -Java Developer (Programmer). 3 different positionsACT
- FTSenior .Net DeveloperVIC
- FTSenior Technical Consultant - RELOCATE TO CANBERRANSW
- FTSolution Architect - NetworksVIC
- FTScrum MasterNSW
- FTCustomer Support Team LeadNSW
- FTDigital Developer | LAMP Stack | Digital AgencyNSW
- TPICT Customer Support OfficerNSW
- TPProject Manager - SOE / Office 365VIC
- FTProject Control Analyst - PMONSW
- FTLead Drupal DeveloperQLD
- FTProject Manager - Data MigrationNSW
- FTSenior Java DeveloperVIC
- CCVDI EngineerACT
- FTSenior Java DeveloperVIC
- FTImplementation ConsultantNSW
- FTSenior Front End DeveloperQLD
- FTDigital Solution ArchitectNSW
- CCSalesforce ArchitectVIC
- FTProject CoordinatorVIC