NEO Pro 4.0
NEO Pro 4.0 is a tool that organises your Outlook email in useful, intuitive ways and provides lightning-fast searches
- Handles attachments well, bulk mail folder, fast searches
The biggest downside to NEO Pro 4.0 is its cost: US$50 seems a bit hefty to us. But you do get a 90-day free trial, after which you just may find that you can't go back to life before NEO Pro.
A lot of add-ons promise to help you restore order to your mess of an Outlook inbox, but most of the apps we've tried just resulted in more work for me. Not NEO Pro, though: this handy Outlook add-on is the first we've used that we actually plan to keep using.
NEO Pro 4.0 is a US$50 tool that organises your Outlook email in useful, intuitive ways and provides lightning-fast searches. Once installed, NEO (which stands for Nelson Email Organizer) Pro launches whenever you open Outlook. But getting NEO Pro installed wasn't exactly seamless for me: the first time we installed it on my Vista machine, it wouldn't run.
We got an error message that appeared repeatedly until the company pointed us to a fix on their support site. It involved making slight changes to a few registry values. Another installation of NEO Pro on a second Vista computer worked fine from the start, with no errors.
After making the fix, we were in business: NEO Pro creates a catalogue of all your messages, which are then sorted into various folders. NEO Pro runs alongside Outlook, so you can manage all of your email from within its own Outlook-like interface.
If you don't like this idea, you can still use Outlook for managing your email, and use NEO Pro only when you want to find a certain message. Messages are sorted by correspondent, date (and within the date folder, they're broken out by recent days, weeks, and months), category, status (whether you've assigned a follow-up action, for example), and attachments.
NEO Pro's handling of attachments is particularly helpful, as it defaults to sorting them by the name of the attachment, not the sender. We often find myself looking for a specific file, while having no idea who sent it, so we liked this feature. You can even sort by type of file, including whether it's a .docx file or .doc.
NEO Pro has a bulk mail folder that is not just for spam. By default, NEO Pro collects "indirect" messages and places them there. We get plenty of indirect messages in the form of press releases, and we liked having a place to collect them. if you'd rather not use it, though, new in version 4.0 is the ability to disable this automatic bulk mail management. Another new feature is the ability to assign rules to designate email as bulk mail based on all or part of a subject line.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei P10 smartphone review
- 2 Huawei P10 Plus phone: Full, in-depth review
- 3 Motorola Moto G5 smartphone review
- 4 Oppo A57 phone: full, in-depth review
- 5 Moto G5 Plus phone: full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Google's Espresso networking tech takes SD-WAN to internet scale
- IEEE sets new Ethernet standard that brings 5X the speed without disruptive cable changes
- New Skype Preview lets Windows 10 Insiders manage phone texts on PCs
- 5 ways Cisco could become an iPhone's best friend
- Skype is getting infused with conversational “bots”
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- Asus launches laptops to start Computex 2017
- LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- Huawei P10 Plus phone: Full, in-depth review
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - online gamblingNSW
- FTSolution Architect l MS Exchange, O365NSW
- FTIntegration Developer (WebSphere Message Broker / Java)SA
- FTSenior Marketing Manager | Global Technology CompanyNSW
- CCSenior DeveloperNSW
- FTSenior Digital Developer - SitecoreQLD
- FTSales Lead / Sales Executive - Enterprise IT Healthcare Perm - North RydeNSW
- FTSenior Infrastructure Business AnalystVIC
- TPIT Security SpecialistVIC
- FTProject Manager HFC Capacity ManagementVIC
- TPBI DeveloperNSW
- FTDeployment Engineer / Field Service EngineerQLD
- PTRecords and Information Management OfficerNSW
- TPEnterprise Solutions ArchitectNSW
- FTSenior Software EngineerACT
- CCSolution ArchitectQLD
- CCSolution DesignerNSW
- FTNetwork SpecialistNSW
- FTNetwork Solution Architect -Telecommunications InfrastructureNSW
- CCIdentity Access Management - Business AnalystVIC
- FTProject Control AnalystSA
- CCSenior Data EngineerNSW
- FTSenior DBANSW
- FTBusiness Development ManagerNSW
- FTQlikview Developer | Contract 6-12mthVIC