Canon CanoScan 9950F
- High speed, good scan quality, neat film and transparency tools
- Nothing notable
Canon's CanoScan 9950F is a great scanning option for expert users who need high-quality powerful tools, and speed.
Price$ 799.00 (AUD)
The Canon CanoScan 9950F is a pricey powerhouse that can scan both prints and film at a maximum optical resolution of 4800dpi. Producing crisp, colourful scans with swift speed, the CanoScan 9950F would be a good choice for small offices, graphics professionals or photo hobbyists.
In our standard image-quality tests, the device produced excellent printed 100dpi scans of a 4" x 5" colour photo; the scan showed excellent brightness, sharpness of detail and colour reproduction.
The 9950F also earned top ratings in our printed and on-screen black-and-white line-art test scans, both of which were scanned at the unit's maximum optical resolution of 4800dpi. The 9950F provided fine details in hard-to-capture circular moire and crossbar patterns.
One of the reasons for this scanner's impressive image quality, according to Canon, is that the 9950F features a new optical system with an aspherical lens element (called the Super Toric Lens) that more efficiently transmits light to the image sensor.
Aside from its excellent scan quality, the 9950F stood out due to its tools for scanning film and transparencies. It comes with a built-in adapter for transparencies as well as three sturdy film holders for multiple-image scanning. These guides allow for batch scanning of up to 12 35mm slides, 30 frames from five 35mm filmstrips, and eight frames from two medium-format (120mm) filmstrips. Canon also provides a fourth film holder for scanning single 4" x 5" and 120mm transparencies.
The 9950F's adept ScanGear CS driver can automatically scan all of the images in a holder and save each scan in an individual file. You can also batch-scan up to ten reflective items, such as photo prints. Such features make this scanner a workhorse for groups that do publishing production, such as catalogue houses and graphic-arts departments.
Tested with USB 2.0, the 9950F took just under 29 seconds to scan a 2" x 2" colour photo at 1200dpi--an outstanding result.
The 9950F has four quick-start buttons (Copy, Scan, E-Mail, and PDF) and comes with a generous software bundle that includes the Adobe Photoshop Elements 2 and ArcSoft PhotoStudio 5.5 photo editors, the NewSoft Presto PageManager 6.11 document management tool, and ScanSoft's OmniPage SE 2 optical character recognition package. The scanner also comes with Canon's own CanoScan Toolbox 4.9, a helpful utility that lets you customise the hardware's push buttons and set up additional software-driven buttons for passing scanned images to other linked applications.
Like the drivers of other corporate scanners, the 9950F's driver includes image-enhancement features such as fade correction, dust and scratch removal, and grain correction. We were pleased with the results when we tried out these tools: the 9950F's fade correction, for example, took the jaundiced look out of a family portrait that had yellowed with
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Oppo A73 review: The budget smartphone that sets the bar for 2018
- 2 Oppo R11s review: The iClone you know and love, but not quite the one you deserve
- 3 Blackberry KEYone Black Edition review: What the original KEYone should have been
- 4 Zolo Liberty+ review: The true wireless earbuds you've been waiting for
- 5 Samsung Gear IconX 2018 review: The path of least resistance makes for an easy upgrade
Latest News Articles
- Epson launches new Expression Premium Photo Range
- Epson Australia Unveils New Expression Home Range of Printers
- Epson launches new high-speed Enterprise inkjet printer
- When life gives you a 3D printer, make a house
- Hacker hijacks thousands of publicly exposed printers to warn owners
PCW Evaluation Team
The printer was convenient, produced clear and vibrant images and was very easy to use
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
- Hands On: Pitting the Apple HomePod against the Sonos One
- Everything You Can Do, I Can Do Better: Comparing The Google Home’s Assistant To Amazon Echo’s Alexa
- Samsung Galaxy S9+ review: A predictably-exellent flagship uplifted by a standout camera
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
Product Launch Showcase
- FTProject Manager ? Cyber SecurityQLD
- TPProject Manager - SEQQLD
- CCSenior MS SQL DeveloperNSW
- FTIT Help-Desk Coordinator / ManagerOther
- FTSystems EngineerVIC
- CCSAP DevelopersNSW
- FTProject Manager/Business Analyst (Hybrid role) - Adelaide BasedSA
- CC.Net DeveloperNSW
- FTContract Obligations Manager - Telco - 2 year Max Term - Nth SydneyNSW
- FTOracle Database Exadata Engineers, Sydney CBD, 6 months contract,NSW
- TPAPS 6 Web DeveloperACT
- FTSenior PM - Data AnalyticsOther
- FTIT SpecialistSA
- FTOracle SOA Integration ConsultantOther
- FTSystems Support and Implementation OfficerQLD
- CCAPI Application EngineerVIC
- TPSenior Business Analyst | Financial Services | $880/dayQLD
- TPIT Storage EngineerVIC
- CCPega Systems Architects/DevelopersACT
- CCJunior Project AnalystVIC
- FTGun Java Developers wantedVIC
- FTProject Manager, Capital WorksNSW
- FTService Management LeadOther
- FTDigital DesignerOther
- FTData Analyst/DeveloperNSW