CanoScan LiDE 200 scanner
If you're looking for an affordable flatbed scanner that turns photos into high-quality digital images, the Canon CanoScan LiDE 200 is a worth a look.
- Speedy performer, Compact design
- Doesn't scan film, Limited OCR features
The Canon CanoScan LiDE 200's main limitations are that it scans only reflective items (no film scans) and it can't do much in the way of OCR. We were able to create searchable PDFs and plain-text (.txt) files from various documents, but we couldn't save multicolumn layouts (including tables and graphics) in RTF, Microsoft Excel, or any other editable file formats. If you don't need to scan film or perform a lot of OCR, the portable Canon CanoScan LiDE 200 is a compact and energy-efficient scanner.
Price$ 159.00 (AUD)
But the Canon CanoScan LiDE 200 has some drawbacks, including skimpy OCR functions and the inability to scan transmissive items (such as film).
The sleek 1.6Kg Canon CanoScan LiDE 200 is roughly the size of a laptop PC and just as portable. We tested a production model, which was easy to install and use. Its energy-efficient design (2.5 Watts maximum power consumption) uses a single cable for both USB and power. Four handy buttons automate common tasks (copy, scan, PDF, email), and in my tests they were easy to customize.
Canon's ScanGear software conveniently provided a choice of control modes (basic, advanced, auto), and the bundled ArcSoft PhotoStudio 5 offered a thorough selection of tools for editing and manipulating my scanned images. To keep the Canon CanoScan LiDE 200's cost down, however, Canon elected not to include an optical character recognition (OCR) application in the software bundle.
In a range of tests, which included scanning from a variety of originals (such as an old, faded photo), the Canon CanoScan LiDE 200 churned out good-looking colour and monochrome scans at a fast clip.
It took only 10.6 and 15 seconds, respectively, to scan a 4-by-5in photo at 600dpi and a full-page colour document at 300dpi — both faster scores than what we've seen from competing scanners we've recently tested. The Canon CanoScan LiDE 200's image quality was generally very good, too, with crisp details and accurate colour, and its fading and backlight correction features greatly improved old family photos.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 LG G6 Plus: Full, in-depth review
- 2 First Look: Nikon D850
- 3 OnePlus 5: Full, in-depth review
- 4 Nokia 8: Full, in-depth review
- 5 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
Latest News Articles
- ICT Architects Still Command the Highest Advertised Salaries on SEEK
- Windows 10 S laptops won't let you switch from Edge or Bing
- Gboard 6.1 beta refines voice input, GIF search
- Google app beta indicates Goggles-like Visual Search may be on the horizon
- Google makes it easier to summon Assistant in Allo, adds in-app GIF searching
PCW Evaluation Team
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
The HP OfficeJet 250 Mobile Printer is a great device that fits perfectly into my fast paced and mobile lifestyle. My first impression of the printer itself was how incredibly compact and sleek the device was.
- Huawei Y5 (2017) Review
- First Look: The Evil Within 2
- LG G6 Plus: Full, in-depth review
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - Online PokerNSW
- CCLinux & Windows Systems Engineer - BrisbaneQLD
- CCTechnologyOne Systems AdministratorACT
- FTClient Delivery DirectorACT
- CCInformation Security ConsultantQLD
- FTService Level ManagerSA
- CCPortfolio ManagerNSW
- CCHogan Technical Consultant - BrisbaneNSW
- FTTechnical Business AnalystNSW
- CCCerner Senior Applications SpecialistQLD
- FTData Governance and PMO Lead - DW/ BIOther
- CCIP Network EngineerNSW
- TPSenior Project Manager - CRMQLD
- CCTechnologyOne Systems AdministratorWA
- CCOrganisational Change & Deployment SpecialistVIC
- TPProject Manager - Information ManagementVIC
- FTSenior Project ManagerOther
- FTNetwork EngineerOther
- CCMultiple Hadoop Developers Canberra, Brisbane, Melbourne or AdelaideACT
- TPProject ManagerACT
- FTSenior Analyst ProgrammerOther
- TPTeam Leader - Software DevelopmentQLD
- FTApplication/Maintenance DeveloperOther
- FTApplication PackagerACT
- FTNetwork Test ManagerVIC