- Performance for the price, DiG!C II colour quality
- 1.23 megapixel resolution on the low side for stills
The Canon MVX 330i gives the serious video enthusiasts all the features required for taking great video, with a simple point and shoot operation. The photo features are well thought out, with simple sharing options for printing, with or without a PC.
Price$ 1,099.00 (AUD)
The Canon MVX330i is ideal for both inexperienced videomakers and for video enthusiasts purchasing their second or third camcorder. An Easy mode takes care of all the exposure settings for you--or you can take creative control by choosing the appropriate exposure, picture effect or white balance setting yourself.
A print/share button, now standard on most Canon still and video cameras, makes it easy to print photos. Stills are captured at around 1.2 megapixel quality and sent to either a printer connected to PC, or to a standalone printer that supports CP Photo, PictBridge or Bubble Jet Direct print.
Although the resolution is lower than some of its competitors, photo-taking tools such as onboard flash and an accessory shoe make it easy to create good quality postcard-size photos. Stitch assist, auto exposure bracketing and a My Camera function provide more than enough tools to get the perfect happy snap.
Driving the MVX330i is a breeze. It sits comfortably in the right hand, with the zoom, record, photo and exposure controls within easy reach. More extensive menu and playback controls are on the left-hand side of the camera, with a series of buttons behind an excellent 2.5" LCD viewfinder with brightness adjustment. An optical viewfinder with dioptric and height adjustment provides an alternative when conditions become too bright.
The 18X variable-speed optical zoom lens (for still and video shooting) is fast and, while not the largest in its class, would be well suited for most picture-taking situations.
Unlike some other cameras in this price range, the MVX330i delivers true 920,000 resolution, 16:9 widescreen video. This is a better option than simply stretching the video footage to fit the widescreen area or adding a black band at the top and bottom of the video screen.
Colour performance on the MVX330i could only be described as vibrant, with reds and greens extremely bright and saturated. Low light performance was reasonable with good quality in most daylight situations. A night mode is also available, but it delivered washed out, sepia-coloured footage.
The MVX330i supports FireWire (or IEEE 1394) and USB 2.0. There is no S-Video connection on the MVX330i, but you do get an AV plug allowing stereo audio and composite video input and output. Although there is ample room to move the camera about when on a tripod, you would need to take the camera off the mount to change a DV tape.
The Canon MVX330i has enough features and quality to make it a cut above the average entry-level camcorder.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei P10 smartphone review
- 2 Huawei P10 Plus phone: Full, in-depth review
- 3 Motorola Moto G5 smartphone review
- 4 Oppo A57 phone: full, in-depth review
- 5 Moto G5 Plus phone: full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Microsoft's Beam becomes Mixer, adds four person split-screen streaming to battle Twitch
- Microsoft's Story Remix uses machine learning and mixed reality to make your movies awesome
- New IoT malware targets 100,000 IP cameras via known flaw
- Twitter will stream video news from Bloomberg all day, every day
- Facebook launches tool for capturing 360 video inside VR
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- Asus ROG Strix Z270F Gaming motherboard review
- The simple RAM buying guide
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - online gamblingNSW
- FTSenior System AdministratorNSW
- FT.Net DeveloperNSW
- CCSalesforce DeveloperNSW
- TPChange ManagerVIC
- TPInfrastructure Project ManagerQLD
- FTDeputy Chief Engineer - Defence Systems - IT Services - Nowra BasedNSW
- FTSQL BI Report DeveloperQLD
- FTPMO Quality OfficerNSW
- FTManager - Commercial ClientsACT
- CCJunior to Mid-level Project Manager- TelcoVIC
- TPSenior Web DeveloperQLD
- CCFront End DeveloperNSW
- TPArcGIS DeveloperVIC
- FTSenior IT Project ManagerSA
- FTSales Lead - Healthcare systemsVIC
- CCGoogle Chromebook AdministratorNSW
- CCApplications Support/ DevOps EngineerQLD
- FTIT Field Services ManagerNSW
- TPBusiness Analyst / Test CoordinatorQLD
- FTDigital Business Analyst | Online BookingQLD
- CCCloud Engineer - Multiple roles - AWS/AzureVIC
- CCMaster Data Officer - SAPNSW
- CCDisaster Recovery SpecialistQLD
- CCImplementation Manager/PlannerACT