Canon Pixma iP3000
- Low price, high quality printing of text and photos
- Ink is costly
Although the PIXMA's initial price is low, ink costs are steep. Overall this is a well-designed printer with high print quality, although our speed tests show it to be a good deal slower than Canon claims.
Price$ 199.00 (AUD)
The PIXMA iP3000 boasts a resolution of 4800 x 1200dpi (dots per inch) and uses technology that Canon refers to as FINE (full-photolithography inkjet nozzle engineering). In layperson's terms, this means that the PIXMA can produce tiny ink droplets--two picolitres--from each of the nozzles on its printhead to produce what should be incredibly sharp printouts.
Theory is one thing; putting it into practice is another. Canon has pulled it off, though, producing images that are near-photolab quality. Detail is sharp, while colours are bright and bold.
The PIXMA doesn't take too long to churn out documents either, whether it's picture or text-based printouts. Print speeds are some way off Canon's claims, though. We could only produce 10ppm (pages per minute) of text and 3ppm of colour, as opposed to the 22ppm and 15ppm respectively that Canon states.
PictBridge compatibility allows you to print directly from certain digital cameras, and the separate ink cartridges mean that you only have to replace the one that has run out rather than everything at once. Ink costs are quite high, however. If you plan on printing out a lot of photos then the iP3000 isn't ideal. If you're more of a now-and-then hobbyist, this Canon printer is a good buy.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei Mate 10 Pro Review: A solid winter flagship that cribs from the best
- 2 Google Pixel 2 review: not quite 'pixel perfect' but damn close
- 3 Huawei Nova 2i review: Flagship features get smuggled into the mid-tier
- 4 Moto X4 review: This is what a world without MotoMods looks like
- 5 Giabyte Aorus X9 Gaming Laptop review: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Epson Australia Unveils New Expression Home Range of Printers
- Epson launches new high-speed Enterprise inkjet printer
- When life gives you a 3D printer, make a house
- Hacker hijacks thousands of publicly exposed printers to warn owners
- HP shutting down default FTP, Telnet access to network printers
PCW Evaluation Team
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
- Huawei Mate 10 Pro review
- Dell Inspiron 5675 Gaming Desktop review
- Legion Y520 Gaming Laptop review
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
Product Launch Showcase
- FTDigital Business Analyst - IntermediateQLD
- FTDigital Account StrategistSA
- TPProject Manager - IT SecurityQLD
- FTSystem Specialist - Operational Technology SystemsOther
- FTTechnical Lead / Senior Systems EngineerOther
- FTProject Manager - Data Centre refreshOther
- CCWeb Applications Project ManagerNSW
- FTCapability Specialist | Business AnalystOther
- TPSenior Business AnalystQLD
- FTProject Coordiantor - Warehouse and Supply Chain ManagementOther
- FTTM1 Application Management AnalystOther
- FTCustomer Service RepresentativeOther
- CCMultiple System Engineers - Data Centre - TelcoVIC
- FTProject ManagerACT
- CCAdvisory Project Manager - Infrastructure Services.QLD
- FTAnalyst ProgrammerOther
- TPAPS6 Business AnalystACT
- FTMid-Level Drupal Developer (Brisbane Location)Other
- TPSoftware EngineerWA
- FTBusiness Project ManagerOther
- FTSystems ArchitectNSW
- CCLinux AdministratorNSW
- CCJunior to mid-level - Business Analyst ? AgileVIC
- CCTech PM - SecurityNSW
- CCSolaris / Oracle SPARC administratorVIC