Canon PIXMA MP130
- Nice pictures
- Slow scanning, no true high-speed graphics mode
Good at text printing, and the memory card slots are welcome; but for graphics, it's a slow printer and scanner.
Price$ 179.00 (AUD)
The PIXMA MP130 is Canon's answer to Epson's STYLUS CX3500 MFD (multifunction device), and has a bundle of great features for a fairly modest price.
It may not be the most robustly built MFD, but the MP130's specifications are more than adequate and Canon's micro-nozzle technology promises strong print quality.
Unlike the CX3500, the MP130 doesn't have a true high-speed graphics mode. Even at the fastest setting, it can manage only 3.3ppm (pages per minute). For any sort of quality and realistic colour it takes about 1.1ppm, compared with 1.9ppm for the Epson.
The colours are bright and vibrant, though, and on text-only work it proves superior to the Epson. Strong output is possible at a zippy 6.8ppm. Scanning is basic and a bit slow, but the quality is reasonable. During our testing, a 300dpi A4 picture took 42 seconds, and 600dpi required almost four times as long.
It's not quite up to the standard of Epson's STYLUS CX3500.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei P10 smartphone review
- 2 Huawei P10 Plus phone: Full, in-depth review
- 3 Motorola Moto G5 smartphone review
- 4 Oppo A57 phone: full, in-depth review
- 5 Moto G5 Plus phone: full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Epson launches new high-speed Enterprise inkjet printer
- When life gives you a 3D printer, make a house
- Hacker hijacks thousands of publicly exposed printers to warn owners
- HP shutting down default FTP, Telnet access to network printers
- Why won’t my printer connect to my wireless router?
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- Asus launches laptops to start Computex 2017
- LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- Huawei P10 Plus phone: Full, in-depth review
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - online gamblingNSW
- FTLevel 2 Desktop SupportACT
- FT.NET DeveloperWA
- CCState-wide Business Transition LeadQLD
- FTBI and Report DeveloperQLD
- FTTest LeadACT
- TPBusiness Intelligence Test ManagerNSW
- FTDigital Business Analyst/Project Manager | PermanentQLD
- CCBusiness Process AnalystNSW
- FTEnterprise Architect - BusinessQLD
- CCMaster Data Officer - SAPNSW
- TPAgile Projet AdministratorVIC
- CCData AnalystNSW
- FTSenior PHP Developer - SymfonyQLD
- CCData ArchitectWA
- CCSolution DesignerNSW
- FTSoftware and Applications Programmer (Java Developer)ACT
- FTSenior PHP Developer / Technical LeadQLD
- FTSenior Front End DeveloperQLD
- CCFront End DeveloperNSW
- FTDigital Solution ArchitectNSW
- CCWeb Designer - IT Graphics / UI DesignerACT
- FTLooking for Software TestersACT
- FTField Technician - Radio communication serviceACT
- TPProject Manager - ProcurementQLD