Now that the home entertainment market has moved towards streaming video services and Blu-ray content, there has never been a better time to convert DVD collections to digital.
Canon PIXMA MP160
- Price, easy to print from the MP Navigator
- Doesn't have a colour-LCD or memory card slot, some streaking when copying in mono
The Canon Pixma MP160's everyday print jobs came out crisp, while scans are above-average but with limited resolution. The lack of a memory card slot could be an important omission.
Price$ 79.00 (AUD)
At only $79, we were delighted to find that the Canon Pixma MP160's photo print quality was above average - a match for the more expensive MP180, if 20 seconds slower. Text printing in draft, normal and high-quality modes was uniformly fast with crisp results.
We found the grey Canon Pixma MP160's looks a little dull, but this robust device is compact and portable. Unfortunately, during our tests the Canon Pixma MP160's scanner lid tended to come crashing down as we adjusted a document's position. A stronger hinge would have fixed this. And sheets of paper were routinely sucked into the Canon Pixma MP160 at an angle, despite being loaded with care into its robust paper tray.
As the least expensive MFD we tested this month, the $79 Canon Pixma MP160 lacks both a colour-LCD and a memory card slot. But there is, at least, a PictBridge port for direct camera printing. Some printer maintenance can also be handled via an on-body switch. Among the usual array of one-click buttons are options to specify paper type and fit to page. Driver and software installation is a simple process. The bundled MP Navigator software is divided into three sections: scan, view and enhance images. Custom scans can be carried out with a single click, but are limited to 600x1200dpi. Scans can be saved in various ways, including as PDF or an e-mail attachment.
The excellent scanning software will correct slanted documents and automatically crop images. MP Navigator also makes successful printing easy, using drop-down menus to select such options as paper type, lightness, darkness and the quality of prints.
The Canon Pixma MP160's colour copies are produced quickly but suffer colour casts and banding. Streaking appeared when we attempted mono copying, though the copy more closely resembled the original.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sonos Beam review: A more-affordable, smarter soundbar option
- 2 Oppo R15 Pro review: A compelling mid-tier option with lots of value and few compromises
- 3 Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 review: A budget phablet that swings above its weight
- 4 LG E8 OLED TV (2018) and SK10Y soundbar review: If you've been on the fence about OLED, now might be the time to jump it
- 5 Nokia 7 Plus review: Predictable and plus-sized
Latest News Articles
- Epson Launches First Double-Sided A3+ 4-In-1 Inkjet EcoTank Printer
- Epson launches new Expression Premium Photo Range
- Epson Australia Unveils New Expression Home Range of Printers
- Epson launches new high-speed Enterprise inkjet printer
- When life gives you a 3D printer, make a house
PCW Evaluation Team
I need power and lots of it. As a Front End Web developer anything less just won’t cut it which is why the MSI GT75 is an outstanding laptop for me. It’s a sleek and futuristic looking, high quality, beast that has a touch of sci-fi flare about it.
If you’re looking to invest in your next work horse laptop for work or home use, you can’t go wrong with the MSI GE63.
If you can afford the price tag, it is well worth the money. It out performs any other laptop I have tried for gaming, and the transportable design and incredible display also make it ideal for work.
Touch screen visibility and operation was great and easy to navigate. Each menu and sub-menu was in an understandable order and category
The printer was convenient, produced clear and vibrant images and was very easy to use
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
- Huawei Nova 3e: Full, in-depth review
- Oppo R15 Pro review: A compelling mid-tier option with lots of value and few compromises
- Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 review: A budget phablet that swings above its weight
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?