Canon PIXMA MX870 inkjet multifunction
The well-balanced Canon PIXMA MX870 multifunction printer offers excellent output, good performance and low ink costs
- 300-sheet paper capacity, low ink costs, automatic duplexer
- Scanner cover doesn't telescope
The Canon PIXMA MX870 is a well-balanced inkjet MFPs. It delivers good performance and good features for the price. While the machine is best suited for a small or home office, its media slots and good colour output make it useful for a busy family as well.
Price$ 299.00 (AUD)
For $299, the Canon Pixma MX870 colour inkjet multifunction printer offers a lot of features and performance for the money, especially for small-office or home-office users. Its ink prices are good, too.
One of several new inkjet MFPs introduced by Canon in recent months, the silver (with black accents) Pixma MX870 is both sporty and simple in design. Big buttons on the front control panel let you bring up its major functions (copying, faxing, scanning, and memory-card reading), and the menus appear on a 2.5-inch colour LCD. Augmenting the traditional four-way rocker navigation button is a scroll wheel around its edge if you prefer to twirl through options; an 'OK' button occupies the middle of the rocker nav.
The MX870's performance is more than adequate for a small office. On both our PC and Mac test platforms, plain-text pages emerged at a rate of 6.2 pages per minute. Colour pages averaged 1.8 ppm on the PC and just under 0.5 ppm on the Mac. Also on the Mac, scanning a 7.5-by-9.9-inch photo at 600 dots per inch averaged about 45 seconds, while scanning a 4-by-6-inch photo at 1200 dpi took about 90 seconds. Colour prints on both plain and photo paper had rich, smooth colour, and text pages looked black and sharp. Our only beef involved colour scans: At the default settings, they were excessively dark, giving the appearance of being shot on a rainy day.
Business-friendly features abound: You can connect via Ethernet, USB, or Wi-Fi. The bevelled scanner bed cover includes a foldout, 35-sheet automatic document feeder, an essential feature for any office. The Pixma MX870 also has an unusually generous paper capacity, with a 150-sheet undermounted drawer for plain paper only, plus a 150-sheet rear vertical tray for feeding all other kinds of media. The automatic duplexer helps you save money and trees. The unit will even lower the front output tray automatically before printing. ("Open the pod bay doors, HAL.") Card readers accommodate CF, MS, and SD formats; you'll need a third-party adapter for xD. There's also a PictBridge port. Canon sells a Bluetooth adapter (BU-30) for $50.
The Pixma MX870 has a separate ink cartridge for each color. The pigment black (PGI-520BK) costs $22.95 and is specced to last for 324 pages, or 7.08 cents per page. The cyan, magenta, and yellow CLI-521 cartridges cost $22.95 each and should last for 510 to 535 pages each, which works out to about 4.4 cents per color per page. The CLI-521 photo black will lasts for about 725 6x4in photos, by Canon's reckoning.
The Pixma MX870 is one of the best-balanced inkjet MFPs we've tested recently. It delivers good performance and good features for the price. While the machine is best suited for a small or home office, its media slots and good colour output make it useful for a busy family as well.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei P10 smartphone review
- 2 Huawei P10 Plus phone: Full, in-depth review
- 3 Motorola Moto G5 smartphone review
- 4 Oppo A57 phone: full, in-depth review
- 5 Moto G5 Plus phone: full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Wanawiki is the WannaCry fix that might save affected PCs—if you work fast
- The WannaCry ransomware might have a link to North Korea
- Paying the WannaCry ransom will probably get you nothing. Here's why.
- WannaCry attacks are only the beginning
- Vulnerability hits Intel enterprise PCs going back 10 years
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- Asus ROG Strix Z270F Gaming motherboard review
- The simple RAM buying guide
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - online gamblingNSW
- FTState IT Systems EngineerTAS
- FTIT Support EngineerNSW
- FTSenior Java DeveloperVIC
- CCSeeking a Perl Developer for a 5-10 Day Project!NSW
- FTReport Developer and Visualisation AnalystQLD
- FTChange & Communications AnalystQLD
- CCUX DeveloperQLD
- FTSplunk Software Developer | 6mth ContractVIC
- CCSenior Project Manager - Higher EducationVIC
- CCChange & Communications AnalystQLD
- CCSAP Deployment ConsultantNSW
- FTDigital Marketing Executive / Content ProducerNSW
- CCPega DeveloperNSW
- FTSenior Android DeveloperNSW
- FTChange ManagerQLD
- CCSenior Teradata Developer/Analyst ProgrammerNSW
- FTTechnology Project ManagerNSW
- FTApplications Project ManagerQLD
- CCData Migration AnalystQLD
- FTSenior SharePoint Administrator. Location -ACTACT
- FTBusiness Intelligence DeveloperSA
- CCSecurity Incident Analyst - Splunk - TelcoVIC
- CCScada Project ManagerWA
- TPData AnalystVIC