Canon Selphy CP400
- High print quality, postcard feature
- Nothing notable
Excellent print results and reasonable running costs for a dye-sublimation printer mean this unit is hard to beat if you are after photo-lab quality prints.
Price$ 299.00 (AUD)
While the CP400 may look tiny, its flat design and straight paper path mean that the paper tray, and the rear clearance requirement, during print operations, requires a depth over 40cm wherever you decide to rest it.
Logistical issues aside, the CP400 is a four-pass dye-sublimation printer that can print on 4" x 6" media, credit card sized media and wide media. A separate paper cassette is required for each type of media (the 4" x 6" cassette comes with the unit) and you can buy media packs that actually come with the required cassette, so you don't have to search for one separately.
Conveniently, the 4" x 6" media for this unit has postcard markings on the rear, which means you can print your favourite image, write a few words on the back, whack a stamp on it and send it to friends and relatives anywhere in the world. But the paper is not as thick as a real postcard, so while the image may be protected thanks to the overcoat that is applied after the cyan, magenta and yellow colours, there is a strong chance it would reach its destination slightly crumpled.
Printing through PaintShop Pro 8, left and right borders were present on each test print. Using PictBridge, images were printed beyond the perforated edges of the paper, which were then removed to obtain completely borderless prints.
This printer yielded good results in our tests. It produced fine gradations and adequate detail in shadowed areas and all prints ended up looking crisp yet natural. It took 1 minute 34 seconds to produce prints from our test PC, while PictBridge printing took 2 minutes and 7 seconds.
For 4" x 6" printing, the consumables available are a 36-sheet ink and paper pack and a 108-sheet pack. At the time of writing, the 36-sheet pack cost around $35, which made it expensive at 97 cents per print. The 108-sheet pack cost around $84, and was much better value, at 78 cents per print.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Samsung Galaxy Note 8: Full, in-depth review
- 2 Huawei Y5 (2017): Full, in depth review
- 3 LG G6 Plus: Full, in-depth review
- 4 First Look: Nikon D850
- 5 OnePlus 5: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Epson launches new high-speed Enterprise inkjet printer
- When life gives you a 3D printer, make a house
- Hacker hijacks thousands of publicly exposed printers to warn owners
- HP shutting down default FTP, Telnet access to network printers
- Why won’t my printer connect to my wireless router?
PCW Evaluation Team
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
- Jabra Elite Sport (2017) review
- How to download the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update right now
- Opinon: Life after KRACK
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
Product Launch Showcase
- CCJunior IT Project ManagerNSW
- FTSenior Network Engineer - CCNP or CCIEOther
- FTProject ManagerOther
- FTRobotic Process Automation DeveloperOther
- CCWintel Engineer - BrisbaneNSW
- FTLean Agile CoachOther
- CCSenior Agile Business AnalystNSW
- CCEnterprise ArchitectNSW
- CCMid-Level Oracle SQL DeveloperQLD
- CCTechnical WriterQLD
- FTSAP BI / BW ArchitectOther
- FTSenior Strategy Consultant - Large CorporateOther
- TPProject Services - Support RolesACT
- CCBusiness AnalystACT
- FTPresales Security Solutions ArchitectVIC
- CCDevOps Developer (Brisbane Location)NSW
- CCSolutions ArchitectNSW
- CCJava DeveloperQLD
- FTSoftware Developer - Delphi, VMS, FortranOther
- FTProject ManagerOther
- FTPython Developer - FinTech/TradingOther
- TPAgile Coach & Jira + Confluence AdministrationNSW
- FTSignalling EngineerOther
- CCMid-Level Oracle SQL DeveloperVIC
- FTSenior Security ConsultantNSW