Canon Selphy CP730
- From camera to prints without any fuss, infrared and optional bluetooth
- Price of consumables, not the fastest printer on the market
Good quality prints from digital images in a PictBridge-compliant device. Ink and paper are not the cheapest however.
Price$ 199.00 (AUD)
If the word 'printer' conjures up an image of an oversized bland plastic box, you clearly haven't caught up with the growing trend for compact photo printers. The Selphy CP730 offers a perfect education in everything that's chic and seamless in print technology.
With its beautiful cream livery and delicately curved casing, the Selphy CP730 is easy on the eye, but don't be fooled: some serious functionality is packed into its case. Like many other compact photo printers, the CP730 offers a top resolution of 300x300dpi. This may not sound very much, but for postcards and photos, it tends to be ample. The Selphy is fully PictBridge-compliant, and it can take in files wirelessly from any mobile phone that supports IrDA (infrared data transmission). An optional Bluetooth unit is available.
Setting up the CP730 is fairly easy; just be prepared to leave a little room at the back for the paper to pop out, as it does regularly. Once it's in place and stocked with dye and paper, plug in a memory card and you can browse through available image files using the tiny 2in LCD screen. You can also use a few basic editing tools. The type of border can be tweaked, for instance, or you can try and make the image particularly vivid or transform it into a black and white, all without connecting the Selphy to a PC. It took us 88 seconds to print out a standard photo. This definitely doesn't make the CP730 the fastest printer available, but it's not particularly slow either. And the results were attractive and packed with colour. Canon claims these photos can last for 100 years, so the Selphy would make a good companion for any digital camera enthusiast.
Consumables aren't cheap. Each dye cartridge contains enough to print 36 pages - $26.50 will buy both the cartridge and 36 sheets. Users can also purchase a bulk pack for $53, which essentially buys three packs for the price of two.
Join the newsletter!
WD MY PASSPORT™ Gaming Storage
Bang and Olufsen BeoVision 14
Dyson Supersonic™ Hair Dryer Fuchsia/Iron
SanDisk MicroSDXC™ for Nintendo® Switch™
cloudandco Smart Cane
Apple iPhone X
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-55EZ950U
Nespresso Creatista Coffee Machine
Breitling Superocean Heritage Chronographe 44
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-77EZ1000U
Toys for Boys
UBTech First Order Stormtrooper Robot
LaCie Rugged USB-C Portable Hard Drive
Propel Star Wars T-65 X-Wing Drone
Onyx Smart Walkie Talkie
Google Daydream View VR Headset
Lego Mindstorms EV3
Ubiquiti Network’s Front Row Camera
Leica M10 Digital Rangefinder Camera
Bose SoundLink Micro
Panasonic 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player and Full HD Recorder with Netflix - UBT1GL-K
Amazon Echo Bluetooth Speaker
iRobot Roomba 980 Vaccum Cleaning Robot
PETKIG Go Smart Dog Leash
WD MY CLOUD™ HOME Personal Cloud Storage
Panasonic Hi-Fi - SC-UA7GS-K
Toffee Bags Commuter Satchel
Belkin Pocket Power 10,000mAh
Dearear Endear In-ear Wireless Earphones
Nest Protect Smart Smoke Alarm
Xbox One X
Logitech Doodle Collection Wireless Mouse
3SIXT 3-in-1 Smartphone Lens Kit
Kogan Bluetooth Soundbar
Panasonic Portable Splashproof Fun - RF-D20U
Tile Pro Bluetooth Tracker
Ikea NORDMÄRKE Wireless Charging Pad
Lexon Flip Alarm Clock
Razer DeathAdder Expert Ergonomic Gaming Mouse
Urbanworx Full HD Action Camera
Raspberry Pi Starter Kit
Fallout Geeki Tikis
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei Mate 10 Pro Review: A solid winter flagship that cribs from the best
- 2 Google Pixel 2 review: not quite 'pixel perfect' but damn close
- 3 Google Home Mini review: a welcome addition to the smart speaker family.
- 4 Huawei Nova 2i review: Flagship features get smuggled into the mid-tier
- 5 Moto X4 review: This is what a world without MotoMods looks like
Latest News Articles
- Epson launches new Expression Premium Photo Range
- Epson Australia Unveils New Expression Home Range of Printers
- Epson launches new high-speed Enterprise inkjet printer
- When life gives you a 3D printer, make a house
- Hacker hijacks thousands of publicly exposed printers to warn owners
PCW Evaluation Team
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
- PC World 2017 Editors' Choice Awards Nomineees Announced
- LG V30+ review: The videographer's smartphone arrives
- Fitbit Ionic review: Impressive but not quite iconic
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
Product Launch Showcase
- CCBusiness AnalystVIC
- FTSalesforce DeveloperOther
- FTMySQL Database Administrator- Meadowbank locationOther
- TPSecurity AnalystVIC
- TPTechnical Consultant - SOE, SCCMNSW
- FTData Analysts/ EngineersACT
- FTSenior IT Business AnalystOther
- FTSystems EngineerVIC
- CCServiceNow ConsultantVIC
- FTTechnical Support Engineer - OnsiteOther
- CCCloud Test EngineerNSW
- FTSenior Sales Executive ? Technology ConsultingQLD
- FTDigital BAOther
- TPDevSecOps SpecialistACT
- CCProject ManagerNSW
- FTBusiness Analyst/Functional AnalystOther
- FTICT Cloud Transformation Program Coordinator - SAPOther
- CCPlatform Engineer - Identity & Access Management - Contract - SydneyNSW
- TPSenior CRM Business AnalystQLD
- CCHP Service Management Engineer/adminVIC
- FTSenior Project Coordinator, Operational ProjectsOther
- CCReact.js DeveloperQLD
- CCChange Analyst-TransformationNSW
- FTProcess/ Reporting AnalystOther
- FTAutomation Test ManagerOther