- 20X F1.6 flourite video lens, excellent video quality, a shoulder mount
- A little heavy
A suitable model for professionals
Price$ 8,999.00 (AUD)
Once you're over the disappointment that it's not the high-definition model many were predicting, you'll find Canon's XL2 a worthy successor to the successful XL1 and XL1s MiniDV camcorders.
A quick scan of the exterior reveals several improvements: a new shoulder mount with XLR inputs for audio pickups, a rail-mounted viewfinder and new function preset buttons on the camera body.
The 20X F1.6 flourite video lens is simply outstanding, with features like programmable zoom speed, zoom/focus preset recall and two integrated neutral density filters. More importantly, the three-chip image sensor inside the XL2 now offers true widescreen recording in both progressive scan and interlaced modes, and the gamma curve controls go a long way towards achieving that cinematic feel that's notoriously hard to achieve with digital products.
It's by no means a consumer product in terms of price or design, but small studios or independent filmmakers will be well served by this new model. The XL2 is still the only camcorder in its class to offer a modular design that includes interchangeable lenses. It's a little front-heavy, especially when tripod-mounted, but attaching an additional battery pack to the rear mount would compensate for this. Video quality is excellent in both standard and widescreen formats, with a noticeable improvement over its predecessors in poorly lit conditions.
Join the newsletter!
Roam freely in the digital world. Critically acclaimed performance and security at your fingertips.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Oppo A73 review: The budget smartphone that sets the bar for 2018
- 2 Oppo R11s review: The iClone you know and love, but not quite the one you deserve
- 3 Blackberry KEYone Black Edition review: What the original KEYone should have been
- 4 Samsung Gear IconX 2018 review: The path of least resistance makes for an easy upgrade
- 5 TCL X2 review: QLED escapes the premium market
Latest News Articles
- Netgear announce local availability for smarter, sharper, Alexa-friendly Arlo Pro 2
- Netgear to spin off Arlo
- CES 2018: Ring founder Jamie Siminoff sheds light on his vision for a more-connected, more-secure future
- CES 2018: Ring Bolster Security Offering With Cameras, Lights, Alarms and Subscription Service
- Keep Watch Day and Night with Uniden’s Two-In-One Camera and Spotlight
PCW Evaluation Team
The printer was convenient, produced clear and vibrant images and was very easy to use
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
- Sony a7R Mk III review: The strongest case yet for ditching your DSLR
- Oppo A73 review: The budget smartphone that sets the bar for 2018
- Oppo R11s: Full, in-depth review
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
Product Launch Showcase
- FTIT Security EngineerOther
- FTResource Coordinator - $71 phOther
- FTFrontend Developer - URGENTOther
- FTProject Analyst / Project SpecialistOther
- FTSolutions Architect - Business Process Solutions - MelbourneVIC
- FTMid-level UX DesignerOther
- FTSAP FICO Lead- government backgroundOther
- CCIteration Manager/Scrum MasterWA
- TPBusiness Intelligence SpecialistQLD
- CCSalesforce DeveloperVIC
- FTTest AnalystSA
- FTSenior Android DeveloperOther
- FTSenior Project Manager - OFM ImplementationOther
- FTSupply Chain or Logistic IT Business Analysts - MULTIPLE ROLESOther
- FTJava DeveloperOther
- TPProject Manager - Governance and L&DQLD
- CCProject Manager - Security/Cyber SecurityACT
- FTJava DeveloperVIC
- TPJunior Service Desk AnalystQLD
- FTBusiness AnalystNSW
- FTSenior Software EngineerOther
- FTInfrastructure ArchitectVIC
- FTPeopleSoft Business AnalystNSW
- FTNetwork EngineerOther
- FTCompliance Analyst - Anti Money Laundering & CTFOther