Capcom MotoGP 08
At its best, Moto GP 08 is a realistic, stripped-down racer that constantly challenges you to take a few seconds off you lap time.
- Amazing graphics, fast-paced, intense racing, based on real courses
- Steep learning curve for beginners, occasionally awkward controls
Moto GP 08 is the official game for the Grand Prix motorcycle road race, something that will definitely appeal to fans of real life racing, with detailed courses modelled after the real ones used in Gran Prix racing. Racing aficionados and newcomers alike are sure to be charmed by this in-depth yet user-friendly racing title.
Price$ 99.95 (AUD)
At its best, Moto GP 08 is a realistic, stripped down racer that constantly challenges you to take a few seconds off you lap time. At its worst, it is a frustrating game with few milestones with which to track your achievements. Either way, Moto GP is a blast from the moment you step on the gas and pass the starting line!
Starting with a lousy tutorial is a great way to lower expectations. More of a practice-run, the tutorial offers up tidbits of advice about braking and turning, but the tips are almost completely useless. Here is a tip that will come in handy: this is not an arcade racer! Taking turns at full speed will add huge chunks of time to your laps, either from crashing or correcting yourself back onto the track. And while this game can be forgiving when it comes to bumping into other racers, don't get too cocky; any high-speed contact will give you road rash and your competitors' dust.
Controls are great, but only when you're winning. As with many other games, races tend to be a matter of who can take the turns fastest. Getting the hang of this can be tough, but when you do, the racing aspect ends and you can begin mastering the art of shaving seconds off your time. But always remember that Moto GP 08 keeps you on your toes, because the moment you think you've mastered the controls, the courses get more difficult or the competition gets stiffer.
All of the usual racing modes are available: time trial, career, championship and challenge. Career is for people who embrace the long haul, but be warned: a career will only last five seasons. You start at the bottom and work your way up through 125cc, 250cc and MotoGP. Upgrades are available, but only in the form of earning points and cashing those points in for things like better acceleration and braking. There isn't much in the way of customisation, so people who like to tweak vehicle and rider alike might be underwhelmed.
This game looks and sounds great. The courses are distinct and full of detail. They could have put a little more effort into making sure the actual tracks are clearly defined, as ramps leading off the course are accessible and easily mistaken for part of the race. The sky in this game looks great and caused me to crash on more than one occasion. The roar of other motorcycles closing in on you adds to the intensity and provides an alternative to looking behind you, something that almost always ends poorly.
Fans of real life racing and previous incarnations of this title will be happy for sure, but the learning curve and lack of customisation when it comes to upgrades may disappoint people who want more of an arcade feel.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei P10 smartphone review
- 2 Huawei P10 Plus phone: Full, in-depth review
- 3 Motorola Moto G5 smartphone review
- 4 Oppo A57 phone: full, in-depth review
- 5 Moto G5 Plus phone: full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Watch us play Vanquish on PC
- Tannenberg expands Verdun's World War I horrors to the Eastern front
- MSI Wins Computex Best Choice Award 2017 for a Record-Breaking 5 Products
- Destiny 2: The 5 key things PC gamers need to know
- The Windows 10 Game Bar: What PC gamers need to know
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- Asus launches laptops to start Computex 2017
- LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- Huawei P10 Plus phone: Full, in-depth review
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - online gamblingNSW
- FTJunior .Net DeveloperNSW
- CCSenior Data EngineerVIC
- FTDigital Business Analyst | Online BookingQLD
- CCSoftware & Applications Programmer/DeveloperACT
- CCUnix AdministratorNSW
- CCState-wide Business Transition LeadQLD
- FTChange & Communications AnalystQLD
- CCGun Java/ Full Stack Developer wanted...VIC
- CCSenior Data EngineerNSW
- CCSoftware EngineerNSW
- FTPMO LeadNSW
- CCProject Manager Performance & ControlsQLD
- CCSenior Magento DeveloperVIC
- FTAccounts and Office AdministratorNSW
- FTScrum Master/Project ManagerQLD
- TPProgram Governance Lead (PMO)VIC
- FTIteration ManagerQLD
- CCOrganisational Change ManagerQLD
- CCIT Security Risk AnalystVIC
- TPSolution Architect - LIS ProgramQLD
- FTSnr Technical Salesforce Consultant Global IT Managed Services - SydneyNSW
- CC.Net DeveloperNSW
- CCC++ DeveloperNSW
- FTSolution ArchitectSA