- Cost, features both digital and analog connections
- Poor for colour accuracy, No stand adjustments
Likely to be popular with IT managers looking to save money on a multi-seat installation, but not ideal for individual home users - unless you're on a really tight budget.
Price$ 399.00 (AUD)
Chi Mei is building a reputation as a producer of inexpensive, entry-level displays. The CMV938D is no exception, though you should give careful thought to what you're sacrificing for the price.
The monitor offers a native resolution of 1440x900 pixels, which is typical for current 19in widescreen models. This makes it better suited to movie and TV playback, but can be a disadvantage for tasks like word processing or photo editing due to the reduced vertical resolution (12 per cent less than a conventional 4:3 19in display). The quoted pixel response time is a respectable 5ms (tr/tf) -- which should be alright for games or video playback - but this is achieved at the expense of colour handling, with the CMV938D only capable of 16.2M colours (instead of 16.7M) and only with the use of colour dithering. This makes it unsuitable for anything that requires colour accuracy.
At 330cd/m2, the CMV938D is bright, though it's unlikely you'll get the quoted contrast ratio of 600:1 without turning it right down (and even then you'll see shallow tonal changes being lost). But our biggest complaint is the shallow vertical viewing angle (140-degree quoted), which can produce colour inversion and distortion from relatively small changes in viewing position.
On top of this, the screen uniformity is poor, the stand feels cheap and has no height adjustment (nor any cable management), but it offers digital and analog connections and a Kensington lock socket.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Samsung Galaxy Note 8: Full, in-depth review
- 2 Huawei Y5 (2017): Full, in depth review
- 3 LG G6 Plus: Full, in-depth review
- 4 First Look: Nikon D850
- 5 OnePlus 5: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Samsung announces Australian availability for its 49-inch CHG90 QLED Monitor
- BenQ Announces the EW3270ZL Eye Care Monitor with Immaculate Colour Reproduction
- AbleGamers' Player Panels could make future games more disability-friendly
- Dell's luscious new 4K monitor is bold, bright, and HDR-infused
- Samsung's 49-inch mega-wide display may displace multi-monitor setups
PCW Evaluation Team
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
- Jabra Elite Sport (2017) review
- How to download the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update right now
- Opinon: Life after KRACK
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
Product Launch Showcase
- TPProject ManagerNSW
- FTL1/L2 Helpdesk Technician - FIFOWA
- FTDeveloper- Xamarin, ASP.Net, Ajax, Java Script, MVC , AndroidOther
- FTSenior Front End Developer - ReactJSOther
- CCMid-Level Oracle SQL DeveloperVIC
- FTSenior Business Analyst - Permanent PositionQLD
- CCSenior Agile Business AnalystVIC
- FTSenior SQL DeveloperOther
- FTIT Audit ManagerNSW
- CCProject ManagerNSW
- FTSenior Business Analyst - Office 365 ProjectOther
- FTSenior Business Analyst - IT Product and PlanningOther
- CCMessageQueue/DataPower AdministratorACT
- FTData Centre EngineerOther
- CCJava DeveloperQLD
- FTBusiness Project ManagerOther
- CCProject SAP Asset CoordinatorNSW
- FTBusiness Analyst - Logistics/TransportOther
- FTChange ConsultantOther
- CCSAP FICO ConsultantACT
- TPTest AnalystQLD
- FTDevOps ConsultantVIC
- CCData ArchitectNSW
- CCFull Stack DeveloperNSW
- CCSenior Business Analyst - BankingVIC