ClamWin Free Antivirus (2009)
This open-source antivirus software fails to get the job done, with disappointing malware detection and no real-time scanning
- Open-source antivirus software, right-click option to scan a specific file
- Ineffective malware detection, poor disinfection
Although running an extra on-demand scan can be good as backup for your regular antivirus application, ClamWin Free Antivirus' poor detection rate means that you are better off running an online scan from a commercial software maker, such as BitDefender or F-Secure, and avoiding this open-source project.
ClamWin Free Antivirus doesn't provide real-time protection, and it won't check files as you open them or have them written to your hard drive; its scans are on-demand only, which means they kick off when you schedule them or specifically tell the program to run one.
If its scans were effective, ClamWin Free Antivirus might have been a worthwhile pick as an extra security layer to catch files that your regular antivirus utility might have missed. Unfortunately, It missed almost half of the Trojan horses, password stealers, and other baddies in AV-Test.org's zoo of malware samples, an ignominious performance matched only by PC Tools Antivirus.
Against malware made to steal online-banking passwords, it was nearly impotent, missing more than two-thirds of such samples. In proactive tests meant to find how well a program can detect new malware, ClamWin Free Antivirus did better, nabbing roughly one-third of the samples while using two-week-old signature files (top performer Avira AntiVir Personal caught just over half). But that still wasn't a satisfactory result by any means.
Its six false positives were more than we'd expect even from free antivirus. ClamWin Free Antivirus was the second-slowest app in on-access scanning during our recent tests of antivirus products - only PC Tools Antivirus had slower scan times - and it put up the worst numbers for disinfection, detecting only six out of 10 infections and cleaning only five. In a rare shining performance, it identified all 10 active rootkits (stealth malware designed to hide other infections). In contrast, however, it did the worst job of removing those rootkits, cleaning up just four.
The app's basic interface lists your hard drives and allows for scheduling regular scans, but you'll need to schedule a separate scan for each drive. ClamWin Free Antivirus also adds a right-click Explorer option to scan a specific file, but such scans are notably slow, and by default it only reports discovered malware; to get an option to clean it, you must change the settings to quarantine or delete the file.
Join the newsletter!
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-55EZ950U
Breitling Superocean Heritage Chronographe 44
cloudandco Smart Cane
SanDisk MicroSDXC™ for Nintendo® Switch™
Apple iPhone X
WD MY PASSPORT™ X Gaming Storage
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-77EZ1000U
Nespresso Creatista Coffee Machine
Bang and Olufsen BeoVision 14
WD MY PASSPORT™ Gaming Storage
Toys for Boys
Bose SoundLink Micro
Propel Star Wars T-65 X-Wing Drone
Ubiquiti Network’s Front Row Camera
Lego Mindstorms EV3
LaCie Rugged USB-C Portable Hard Drive
Onyx Smart Walkie Talkie
Leica M10 Digital Rangefinder Camera
Google Daydream View VR Headset
PETKIG Go Smart Dog Leash
Dearear Endear In-ear Wireless Earphones
Nest Protect Smart Smoke Alarm
iRobot Roomba 980 Vaccum Cleaning Robot
Amazon Echo Bluetooth Speaker
Xbox One X
WD MY CLOUD™ HOME Personal Cloud Storage
Belkin Pocket Power 10,000mAh
Panasonic Hi-Fi - SC-UA7GS-K
Panasonic 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player and Full HD Recorder with Netflix - UBT1GL-K
Toffee Bags Commuter Satchel
Logitech Doodle Collection Wireless Mouse
Kogan Bluetooth Soundbar
Lexon Flip Alarm Clock
Razer DeathAdder Expert Ergonomic Gaming Mouse
3SIXT 3-in-1 Smartphone Lens Kit
Ikea NORDMÄRKE Wireless Charging Pad
Panasonic Portable Splashproof Fun - RF-D20U
Tile Pro Bluetooth Tracker
Raspberry Pi Starter Kit
Urbanworx Full HD Action Camera
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei Mate 10 Pro Review: A solid winter flagship that cribs from the best
- 2 Google Pixel 2 review: not quite 'pixel perfect' but damn close
- 3 Huawei Nova 2i review: Flagship features get smuggled into the mid-tier
- 4 Moto X4 review: This is what a world without MotoMods looks like
- 5 Giabyte Aorus X9 Gaming Laptop review: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Uber confirms massive 2016 data breach
- D-Link Adds Android Support and Launches Updated App for Omna 180 Cam HD
- Monitoring the home has become more flexible with Uniden’s App Cam Solo
- ESET works with Google to halt dangerous malware
- Cybersecurity is a Shared Responsibility, Warns ESET
PCW Evaluation Team
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
- Huawei Mate 10 Pro review
- Get set for Amazon Australia Black Friday launch
- Destiny 2 PC review
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
Product Launch Showcase
- FTFinancial AdministratorOther
- FTSenior Change ManagerOther
- TPProject ManagerACT
- CCSenior Test AnalystsACT
- TPSenior Project ManagerNSW
- FTPractice Director Quality AssuranceSA
- FTPermanent .Net Developer roleACT
- TPEL1 Business AnalystACT
- CCPega LSA - Banking IndustryVIC
- CCAutomation Test Analyst - Regression TestingNSW
- TPTechnical Project CoordinatorVIC
- FTJava Software Engineers wanted (Melbourne CBD location)VIC
- FTProject Manager -Accommodation Program-Fit-out, RelocationOther
- CCIntel IT ArchitectNSW
- FTSystem AnalystQLD
- FTInformation Security AnalystNSW
- FTFacilities/Capacity EngineerOther
- CCDesktop Support TechnicianOther
- FTBig Data ArchitectOther
- TPBusiness Analyst | AO6 | Government ContractQLD
- FT.NET DeveloperNSW
- FTPEGA ArchitectOther
- FTManagement Consultant - ConsultancyOther
- CCBusiness AnalystACT
- TPJava DeveloperWA