Codemasters Colin McRae: DiRT
- Non-stop fun, amazing graphics, creative courses, addictive gameplay
- Annoying navigator, some courses take a long time to beat
DiRT is by no means for everyone. Most racing games are difficult at first, but you eventually master them. In DiRT, you are always on the verge of totalling your car. There's never a moment to screw around, because you will crash. If, like us, this prospect sounds like fun, than this game is definitely for you.
Price$ 109.95 (AUD)
If you don't have an ATV or monster truck sitting around in your garage, DiRT gives you the chance to experience off-road racing without the messy cleanup, while serving up one of the best racing games we've ever played at the same time.
Off-roading at it's finest
Unlike games that depend on finesse and familiarity with the race tracks, DiRT is centred around intricate courses and worthy opponents that force you to constantly adapt. Mud, water, rocks and just about anything you'd expect in an off-road race make this game fun and addictive. But be warned; this is not for gamers who restart a race every time something goes wrong. You will slam into other cars, spin out and even flip over, but half the fun of this game is messing up and watching it on replay.
DiRT takes advantage of the PS3's powerful graphics capabilities as courses and car details are intricate and realistic; even the damage you accumulate looks real. However, it's the unique environments that really make DiRT worthwhile; puddles of mud and sprays of water are par for the course; if you're car isn't filthy halfway through the race, you're doing something wrong.
Although you can play individual races and rallies, Career mode is the way to go. Presented on DiRT's sleek interface, Career mode lets you start from the ground up; harnessing skills and acquiring and upgrading cars. Most races pair you with a navigator who prepares you for the twists and turns of the course -- though sometimes, you just wish he'd shut up. Completing races opens up more challenges, and eventually a new tier. It's a long way to the top, but there is an addictive quality that won't let you quit.
Controls are simple and play well into DiRT's overall scheme. Most of the cars' steering is sensitive, so it's easy to overcorrect when you're out of control. It takes a while to get used to, but eventually it all works out to your advantage, and power slides, handbrake turns and racing lines are all available to you. You also need to get used to some aggressive opponents. Even though the field is smaller than many racing games, courses can get a little claustrophobic, but it's all part of the fun and all the more satisfying when you win a race. DiRT also offers multiple camera angles, so you can pick whichever one you're most comfortable with -- and unlike other games, they all look great.
Join the newsletter!
Nespresso Creatista Coffee Machine
cloudandco Smart Cane
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-77EZ1000U
Dyson Supersonic™ Hair Dryer Fuchsia/Iron
Bang and Olufsen BeoVision 14
SanDisk MicroSDXC™ for Nintendo® Switch™
Apple iPhone X
Breitling Superocean Heritage Chronographe 44
WD MY PASSPORT™ X Gaming Storage
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-55EZ950U
Toys for Boys
Ubiquiti Network’s Front Row Camera
Bose SoundLink Micro
LaCie Rugged USB-C Portable Hard Drive
Propel Star Wars T-65 X-Wing Drone
Onyx Smart Walkie Talkie
Lego Mindstorms EV3
Google Daydream View VR Headset
Leica M10 Digital Rangefinder Camera
PETKIG Go Smart Dog Leash
Belkin Pocket Power 10,000mAh
Amazon Echo Bluetooth Speaker
WD MY CLOUD™ HOME Personal Cloud Storage
Dearear Endear In-ear Wireless Earphones
Xbox One X
Toffee Bags Commuter Satchel
Panasonic Hi-Fi - SC-UA7GS-K
Panasonic 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player and Full HD Recorder with Netflix - UBT1GL-K
iRobot Roomba 980 Vaccum Cleaning Robot
Nest Protect Smart Smoke Alarm
Razer DeathAdder Expert Ergonomic Gaming Mouse
Tile Pro Bluetooth Tracker
Ikea NORDMÄRKE Wireless Charging Pad
Urbanworx Full HD Action Camera
Kogan Bluetooth Soundbar
Panasonic Portable Splashproof Fun - RF-D20U
3SIXT 3-in-1 Smartphone Lens Kit
Lexon Flip Alarm Clock
Logitech Doodle Collection Wireless Mouse
Raspberry Pi Starter Kit
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei Mate 10 Pro Review: A solid winter flagship that cribs from the best
- 2 Google Pixel 2 review: not quite 'pixel perfect' but damn close
- 3 Huawei Nova 2i review: Flagship features get smuggled into the mid-tier
- 4 Moto X4 review: This is what a world without MotoMods looks like
- 5 Giabyte Aorus X9 Gaming Laptop review: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Acer attempts to woo Australian gamers with reveal of its new Predator range
- Nintendo Switch software update: What does 4.0.0 feature and how to install it?
- Robot House announce vacuum-bot adventure game ahead of PAX Australia
- Wargaming launches ANZ servers for World of Tanks
- VR fairytale game Luna due for Oct 17 release
PCW Evaluation Team
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
- Huawei Mate 10 Pro review
- Get set for Amazon Australia Black Friday launch
- Destiny 2 PC review
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
Product Launch Showcase
- FTBusiness Analyst - PEGAOther
- FTUser Experience PractitionerACT
- FTOperations Process Improvement ManagerOther
- FTCloud ArchitectNSW
- FTDevOps EngineerOther
- FTAgile CoachOther
- CCCRM Technical ConsultantWA
- TPMicrosoft Cloud Infrastructure Solution ArchitectQLD
- CCSenior Program CoordinatorNSW
- FTBusiness Analyst - Change Management - Government backgroundOther
- CCJunior to Mid Level - Java/ J2EE Developer (Brisbane)Other
- FTFrontEnd Angular DeveloperOther
- CCSolution ArchitectNSW
- TPSenior .NET ContractNSW
- FTCloud Security Architect / Consultant - Perm - IT Services - North Ryde areaNSW
- FTTableau DeveloperOther
- FTField ConsultantOther
- CCCRM DeveloperVIC
- CCJunior to mid-level - Business Analyst ? AgileNSW
- CCSAP EAM Functional AnalystQLD
- FTNetwork Lead AcrhitectNSW
- FTManagement Consultant - ConsultancyOther
- FTSenior Siebel DeveloperOther
- FTTechnical Test AnalystQLD