Comodo Internet Security Premium 5.0
Comodo Internet Security Premium 5.0 review: Effective at blocking new malware
- Effective at blocking new malware, includes a firewall
- Inconsistent overall malware detection
Comodo Internet Security Premium did a good job at blocking brand-new malware and has a firewall, but its inconsistent overall detection performance makes it tough to recommend.
Comodo Internet Security Premium did a very good job at blocking brand-new malware in our tests. Its detection of known malware was less impressive, though.
Comodo Internet Security is reasonably well designed and easy to use. Its installer takes several more steps than is becoming the norm for antivirus software, but it was perfectly usable otherwise. Once it's installed, you'll be greeted by a well laid out Summary screen that uses the familiar green/yellow/red status indicators for your PC's protection status, although some of the wording could have been better. The scan window, however, doesn’t give any indication as to its status--no progress bar, nothing--so you'll be somewhat in the dark as to how long you'll have to wait for scans to complete.
Unlike many free products, Comodo Internet Security has a firewall--thus the product's "Internet Security" moniker. We didn't test the effectiveness of the firewall, however.
Internet Security Premium's malware detection and blocking is a mixed bag. Its 92.4 percent detection rate in traditional scanner-based detection tests--which indicate how well a product can identify known malware--was the lowest score of any product we looked at. In addition, Comodo missed several samples in what's known as the WildList test. This test by itself isn't a good measure of an antivirus product's effectiveness--we don't include it in our scoring for this reason--but any security product worth its salt should be able to detect all its samples.
It also did a middling job at cleaning up infections on a test PC: It detected all test infections, and removed active components of malware infections 60 percent of the time, in a tie for the lowest score among the free antivirus products we reviewed. That said, no product we looked at achieved higher than an 80 percent removal rate.
False positives was another concern: Internet Security Premium tied with Avira AntiVir Personal for the most false positives (six) in traditional malware detection, and it was the only product among the antivirus packages we tested to flag safe files as possibly malicious in dynamic malware detection tests (dynamic malware detection technology attempts to identify malware based solely on how it behaves--a good way of identifying brand-new malware for which no signature file exists). While as a percentage, the number of false positives is low, even one false positive can cause problems.
Despite this issue, Comodo Internet Security Premium did an excellent job at blocking brand-new malware. In tests for blocking real, live malware, Comodo completely blocked 96 percent of attacks, and partially blocked the other 4 percent. No other product was able to fully block more than 80 percent of new malware attacks.
Scan speeds were a mixed bag as well. Its on-demand scan speed (how long it takes to scan 4.5GB of data for malware in an manually initiated scan) of 2 minutes, 9 seconds was solid, though it trailed the fastest scan time of 87 seconds. An on-access scan of 4.5GB of data took 5 minutes, 4 seconds, which was slightly longer than the average. The on-access scan test determines how quickly a product can scan files as they're opened or saved to disk.
In other speed tests, Comodo Internet Security Premium had a relatively slight impact on PC performance. It added less than 1 second to startup times when compared to a PC with no antivirus software installed, though some file copy and download tests took longer than the average for the products we tested.
Comodo Internet Security Premium is by no means a bad product, but its mixed detection scores make it hard to recommend. It may be worth considering on the strength of its detection of brand new malware, but you can find security products that are more well rounded.
Join the newsletter!
cloudandco Smart Cane
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-55EZ950U
WD MY PASSPORT™ Gaming Storage
SanDisk MicroSDXC™ for Nintendo® Switch™
Breitling Superocean Heritage Chronographe 44
Nespresso Creatista Coffee Machine
Bang and Olufsen BeoVision 14
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-77EZ1000U
Dyson Supersonic™ Hair Dryer Fuchsia/Iron
Apple iPhone X
Toys for Boys
Google Daydream View VR Headset
Lego Mindstorms EV3
Leica M10 Digital Rangefinder Camera
Propel Star Wars T-65 X-Wing Drone
Onyx Smart Walkie Talkie
Bose SoundLink Micro
LaCie Rugged USB-C Portable Hard Drive
Ubiquiti Network’s Front Row Camera
Xbox One X
Nest Protect Smart Smoke Alarm
Panasonic 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player and Full HD Recorder with Netflix - UBT1GL-K
Belkin Pocket Power 10,000mAh
Dearear Endear In-ear Wireless Earphones
Panasonic Hi-Fi - SC-UA7GS-K
PETKIG Go Smart Dog Leash
Toffee Bags Commuter Satchel
iRobot Roomba 980 Vaccum Cleaning Robot
WD MY CLOUD™ HOME Personal Cloud Storage
Amazon Echo Bluetooth Speaker
Tile Pro Bluetooth Tracker
Lexon Flip Alarm Clock
Panasonic Portable Splashproof Fun - RF-D20U
Logitech Doodle Collection Wireless Mouse
3SIXT 3-in-1 Smartphone Lens Kit
Urbanworx Full HD Action Camera
Ikea NORDMÄRKE Wireless Charging Pad
Razer DeathAdder Expert Ergonomic Gaming Mouse
Kogan Bluetooth Soundbar
Raspberry Pi Starter Kit
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei Mate 10 Pro Review: A solid winter flagship that cribs from the best
- 2 Google Pixel 2 review: not quite 'pixel perfect' but damn close
- 3 Huawei Nova 2i review: Flagship features get smuggled into the mid-tier
- 4 Moto X4 review: This is what a world without MotoMods looks like
- 5 Giabyte Aorus X9 Gaming Laptop review: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Uber confirms massive 2016 data breach
- D-Link Adds Android Support and Launches Updated App for Omna 180 Cam HD
- Monitoring the home has become more flexible with Uniden’s App Cam Solo
- ESET works with Google to halt dangerous malware
- Cybersecurity is a Shared Responsibility, Warns ESET
PCW Evaluation Team
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
- Huawei Mate 10 Pro review
- The Best Australian Black Friday Tech Deals That Aren't On Amazon
- Wolfenstein The New Colossus Review
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
Product Launch Showcase
- FTField Services TechnicianACT
- FTBig Data ArchitectOther
- CCProcess Improvement Specialist - TelcoVIC
- FTiOS DeveloperWA
- FTUser Experience PractitionerACT
- FTSERVICE DESK - ENTRY LEVELSA
- FTSenior Change Manager, Portfolio Change DeliveryOther
- FTBusiness Analyst | Gold CoastQLD
- FTMultiple DevOps EngineersNSW
- TPProject ManagerVIC
- FTPrinciple Project Manager- HRISOther
- CCLevel 1 and 2 Help Desk OfficerQLD
- FTIT Support & System AdministratorNSW
- CCJunior to mid-level - Business Analyst ? AgileQLD
- CCWeb Applications Project ManagerACT
- FTSenior Network Engineer (RUN-BAU)VIC
- CCProject AnalystNSW
- TPSenior Business Analyst - ieMR - Digital Health ProgramQLD
- FTDisaster Recovery Technical Business AnalystOther
- FTCommercial Loan Documentation SpecialistOther
- TPBusiness Continuity Senior Associate/ IT AuditNSW
- TPMicrosoft Cloud Infrastructure Solution ArchitectQLD
- FTSharePoint Admin & Developer- Australian Citizens onlyOther
- FTService Desk CoordinatorVIC
- FTICT Cloud Transformation Program Coordinator - SAPOther