Compro T1000W media streamer
A stylish looking media streamer that can play back 1080p Full HD movies and record television
- Stylish looks and good build quality, inbuilt wireless, 1080p and MKV support
- No front mounted USB ports, no FLAC audio support, front display isn't comprehensive
The Compro T1000W is a media streamer that can handle any format you're likely to throw at it. It doesn't have an internal hard drive as standard (although you can add one) but with three USB ports and in-built wireless networking means it can play all your saved content.
Price$ 499.95 (AUD)
The Compro T1000W media streamer supports a comprehensive range of formats and wireless network streaming, it includes a TV tuner, and has multiple video outputs. The media streamer doesn’t have any internal storage, but you can add a SATA desktop hard drive, turning it into a good media centre device.
With its thin, sleek and stylish design, the Compro T1000W is one of the best looking media streamers we’ve tested. Sure, the fascia uses metal-finish plastic rather than brushed aluminium, but it’s hard to tell the difference unless you examine it closely. The display is located under the black front panel, and it lights up when the unit is on. It has a playback control and the ‘play’ chevron symbol, to indicate a video is playing. It doesn’t have a screen for scrolling music track names or information, for example — but the Compro T1000W is still as stylish as media streamers get.
The Compro T1000W media streamer has a myriad of options for connecting it to your high-definition television. HDMI is what we use in testing, but composite, component and S-Video are all available too. When it comes to streaming media, the in-built 802.11g wireless networking is invaluable, but there are also three USB host ports and a wired Ethernet network port. There are no USB ports on the front of the unit, but they’re easy to access via the media streamer’s back plate.
The on screen user interface is clean and modern, with a simple look and feel, not unlike the Cross Media Bar of the Sony Playstation 3 game console. It’s predominantly blue hues — with a splashes of colour to represent the icons — makes it attractive and easy to navigate. Resolution wise the user interface doesn’t display well when the unit is connected to a TV using composite or S-Video connections, but if you’re using an HDMI with 1080p resolution on your TV, it looks sensational.
In our tests the integrated HDTV tuner quickly scanned the channels — completing a full scan and recognising all the local channels (using the bundled antenna) in less than one minute. It functions just as any television’s integrated tuner would — it receives both SD and HD channels, and can display television guide information if required. If you install a 3.5in hard drive into the media streamer’s internal slot, you also have the added bonus of recording the TV content.
While most other media steamers like the DVICO TViX R-3300 have at least one fan whirring away, the Compro T1000W doesn’t have any internal fans, so it offers silent operation.
In testing the Compro T1000W media streamer handled almost any file types we threw at it — from DivX to MPEG to MOV to MKV — the majority of codecs are supported, and support for raw DVD ISO files will be available in a future firmware update. JPG image files as well as MP3, WMA and WAV music files are also supported. We would have liked to see FLAC lossless audio support (but this is rarely supported in these devices).
Finding a media streamer that best suits your needs can be difficult. We’ve always had a preference for jack-of-all-trades units, and the Compro T1000W fits the bill — plus its stylish appearance makes it a great addition to your living room setup.
Follow GoodGearGuide on Twitter: @Goodgearguide
Join the newsletter!
Dyson Supersonic™ Hair Dryer Fuchsia/Iron
cloudandco Smart Cane
Bang and Olufsen BeoVision 14
Nespresso Creatista Coffee Machine
WD MY PASSPORT™ X Gaming Storage
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-55EZ950U
WD MY PASSPORT™ Gaming Storage
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-77EZ1000U
Breitling Superocean Heritage Chronographe 44
SanDisk MicroSDXC™ for Nintendo® Switch™
Toys for Boys
Google Daydream View VR Headset
UBTech First Order Stormtrooper Robot
Ubiquiti Network’s Front Row Camera
Lego Mindstorms EV3
LaCie Rugged USB-C Portable Hard Drive
Bose SoundLink Micro
Leica M10 Digital Rangefinder Camera
Onyx Smart Walkie Talkie
Propel Star Wars T-65 X-Wing Drone
Xbox One X
Dearear Endear In-ear Wireless Earphones
Toffee Bags Commuter Satchel
iRobot Roomba 980 Vaccum Cleaning Robot
Panasonic 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player and Full HD Recorder with Netflix - UBT1GL-K
Belkin Pocket Power 10,000mAh
Amazon Echo Bluetooth Speaker
Panasonic Hi-Fi - SC-UA7GS-K
Nest Protect Smart Smoke Alarm
PETKIG Go Smart Dog Leash
WD MY CLOUD™ HOME Personal Cloud Storage
Fallout Geeki Tikis
Ikea NORDMÄRKE Wireless Charging Pad
3SIXT 3-in-1 Smartphone Lens Kit
Lexon Flip Alarm Clock
Tile Pro Bluetooth Tracker
Razer DeathAdder Expert Ergonomic Gaming Mouse
Panasonic Portable Splashproof Fun - RF-D20U
Logitech Doodle Collection Wireless Mouse
Urbanworx Full HD Action Camera
Kogan Bluetooth Soundbar
Raspberry Pi Starter Kit
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei Mate 10 Pro Review: A solid winter flagship that cribs from the best
- 2 Google Pixel 2 review: not quite 'pixel perfect' but damn close
- 3 Google Home Mini review: a welcome addition to the smart speaker family.
- 4 Huawei Nova 2i review: Flagship features get smuggled into the mid-tier
- 5 Moto X4 review: This is what a world without MotoMods looks like
Latest News Articles
- JBL join smart speaker arena with the portable, waterproof and (Google-powered) JBL Link range
- BenQ Debuts True 4K UHD HDR Home Cinema Projector Designed for Modern Families
- Foxtel Now's new streaming device launched weeks after TelstraTV
- Logitech announce new MX Sound speakers
- Telstra looks to solve 'Entertainment Exasperation' with new 4K Telstra TV
PCW Evaluation Team
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
- PC World 2017 Editors' Choice Awards Nomineees Announced
- LG V30+ review: The videographer's smartphone arrives
- Fitbit Ionic review: Impressive but not quite iconic
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
Product Launch Showcase
- CCVmware SpecialistNSW
- CCTechnical Field EngineerNSW
- FTProject ManagerACT
- FTSenior Business AnalystACT
- CCControl Systems SpecialistQLD
- CCChange Analyst-TransformationNSW
- CCRecords AnalystNSW
- FTForm Analyst/DeveloperOther
- CCTechnical Specialist - Government OrganisationVIC
- FTClinical IT Support Consultant - Medication Management - Permanent - North RydeNSW
- FTManual Tester - Accounting & FinanceOther
- FTOrganisational Change Analyst -Contract - $650 per dayOther
- FTFull Stack Developer - ASP.NETVIC
- FTFull Stack DeveloperACT
- TPFull Stack Developer - AWSNSW
- FTCRM DeveloperACT
- FTWeb Writers/EditorsOther
- CCTechnical Field Engineer/SupportVIC
- CCNetwork EngineerNSW
- TPSenior Business AnalystNSW
- TPCommunicatons and Change AdvisorQLD
- TPProject ManagerNSW
- FTTechnical Integration LeadOther
- TPSenior Project OfficerNSW
- FTSenior Business Analyst x 2 (Digital Transformation)NSW