Compro T1000W media streamer
A stylish looking media streamer that can play back 1080p Full HD movies and record television
- Stylish looks and good build quality, inbuilt wireless, 1080p and MKV support
- No front mounted USB ports, no FLAC audio support, front display isn't comprehensive
The Compro T1000W is a media streamer that can handle any format you're likely to throw at it. It doesn't have an internal hard drive as standard (although you can add one) but with three USB ports and in-built wireless networking means it can play all your saved content.
Price$ 499.95 (AUD)
The Compro T1000W media streamer supports a comprehensive range of formats and wireless network streaming, it includes a TV tuner, and has multiple video outputs. The media streamer doesn’t have any internal storage, but you can add a SATA desktop hard drive, turning it into a good media centre device.
With its thin, sleek and stylish design, the Compro T1000W is one of the best looking media streamers we’ve tested. Sure, the fascia uses metal-finish plastic rather than brushed aluminium, but it’s hard to tell the difference unless you examine it closely. The display is located under the black front panel, and it lights up when the unit is on. It has a playback control and the ‘play’ chevron symbol, to indicate a video is playing. It doesn’t have a screen for scrolling music track names or information, for example — but the Compro T1000W is still as stylish as media streamers get.
The Compro T1000W media streamer has a myriad of options for connecting it to your high-definition television. HDMI is what we use in testing, but composite, component and S-Video are all available too. When it comes to streaming media, the in-built 802.11g wireless networking is invaluable, but there are also three USB host ports and a wired Ethernet network port. There are no USB ports on the front of the unit, but they’re easy to access via the media streamer’s back plate.
The on screen user interface is clean and modern, with a simple look and feel, not unlike the Cross Media Bar of the Sony Playstation 3 game console. It’s predominantly blue hues — with a splashes of colour to represent the icons — makes it attractive and easy to navigate. Resolution wise the user interface doesn’t display well when the unit is connected to a TV using composite or S-Video connections, but if you’re using an HDMI with 1080p resolution on your TV, it looks sensational.
In our tests the integrated HDTV tuner quickly scanned the channels — completing a full scan and recognising all the local channels (using the bundled antenna) in less than one minute. It functions just as any television’s integrated tuner would — it receives both SD and HD channels, and can display television guide information if required. If you install a 3.5in hard drive into the media streamer’s internal slot, you also have the added bonus of recording the TV content.
While most other media steamers like the DVICO TViX R-3300 have at least one fan whirring away, the Compro T1000W doesn’t have any internal fans, so it offers silent operation.
In testing the Compro T1000W media streamer handled almost any file types we threw at it — from DivX to MPEG to MOV to MKV — the majority of codecs are supported, and support for raw DVD ISO files will be available in a future firmware update. JPG image files as well as MP3, WMA and WAV music files are also supported. We would have liked to see FLAC lossless audio support (but this is rarely supported in these devices).
Finding a media streamer that best suits your needs can be difficult. We’ve always had a preference for jack-of-all-trades units, and the Compro T1000W fits the bill — plus its stylish appearance makes it a great addition to your living room setup.
Follow GoodGearGuide on Twitter: @Goodgearguide
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Samsung Galaxy Note 8: Full, in-depth review
- 2 Huawei Y5 (2017): Full, in depth review
- 3 LG G6 Plus: Full, in-depth review
- 4 First Look: Nikon D850
- 5 OnePlus 5: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Sonos reveals Sonos One, an Alexa-enabled speaker that will support AirPlay 2 and Google Assistant
- Bose Introduces Tiny New Bluetooth Speaker
- iPhone X, Apple Watch Series 3 and Apple TV 4K: Everything Announced At Today’s Apple Keynote
- Sony launches MUTEKI V90DW High Power Audio System
- Plex Cloud is now open to all paid users
PCW Evaluation Team
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
- Canon 6D MK II
- Panasonic’s EX600U UHD HDR TV + HTB688 soundbar:
- Which case should I buy for the Samsung Galaxy Note 8?
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
Product Launch Showcase
- FTLead Business AnalystOther
- FTSenior Digital Producer/Digital Program ManagerOther
- CCTosca Test AutomationVIC
- FTSenior Software EngineerNSW
- FTPMO/Financial AnalystOther
- CCBlue Prism DevelopersNSW
- TPChange ManagerVIC
- CCSCCM EngineerNSW
- CCAutomation TesterNSW
- FTPermanent Project SchedulerACT
- FTRadio Communications Field TechnicianOther
- FTSenior SAP Training LeadOther
- FTFront End DesignerOther
- FTSenior Network Engineer - CCNP or CCIEOther
- TPBusiness Analyst ManagerNSW
- FTPayments Business AnalystVIC
- CCDesktop Support/ Field Services EngineerQLD
- FTPre Sales Architect - Cyber SecurityACT
- FTEAI DeveloperVIC
- FTData Specialist - Government OrganisationVIC
- CCTechnologyOne Systems AdministratorNSW
- FTProduct Manager (IT Clinical Systems) - Permanent - Syd, Melb or BrisbNSW
- TPBI Project ManagerQLD
- CCSalesforce DeveloperNSW
- FTSoftware Developer - Banking SolutionsOther