Compro Australia VideoMate E700
- The ability to schedule a PC power-up and shut down when it's about to record or when it has recorded a program
- An MCE-style user interface would've been better
The inexpensive Compro VideoMate E700 delivers the digital AV goods with aplomb - given a decent aerial it will display good quality standard definition images. Although the comprehensively featured ComproDTV 3.0 software isn't bad, an MCE-style user interface would be more convenient for ordinary TV viewing.
The Compro VideoMate E700 is an ultra-compact PCI-E card (with spare blanking plate for low-profile PCs) sporting a pair of DVB-T free-to-air tuners.
This contrasts with the Compro VideoMate T750, a PCI card TV Tuner, supporting both terrestrial analogue and DVB-T standards as well as FM radio.
As a consequence, the Compro VideoMate E700 has the very useful ability to let you watch one free-to-air channel while recording another -- and then some.
The Compro VideoMate E700 is supplied with the same ComproDTV 3.0 tuning software, which can, given the right hardware, let you watch as many as six 'pictures in picture', though you'll need a top-end Core Duo to do this.
The Compro VideoMate E700 lacks, however, the S-Video and composite inputs of the Compro VideoMate T750. It also lacks support for MHEG-5, which means no interactive services are supported, which is just as well as the remote lacks the proverbial red button.
Installation is straightforward and the Compro VideoMate E700 is Windows Vista certified. As before, ComproDTV 3.0 has a veritable laundry list of features and it'll let you do the usual time-shifting, pausing and scheduled recording. Programs can be recorded to a hard disk or straight to DVD if you wish.
Once again recording formats are a bit restricted -- only MPEG-2 and Transport Stream is supported. The ComproDTV 3.0 software is highly configurable: for example you can customise and store the picture and audio settings for each TV channel. Also in the box is DVD playback and authoring software, so the Compro VideoMate E700 is well stocked with goodies.
Like the T750, the Compro VideoMate E700 can control your PC's on/off button: it has the clever ability to schedule a PC power-up and shut down in order to record a program, a big plus in our view. You can also use the supplied remote to do this.
Join the newsletter!
Featuring a high capacity ink tank system, that completely removes the need for cartridges - it comes with up to 2 years of ink in the box
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Oppo A73 review: The budget smartphone that sets the bar for 2018
- 2 Oppo R11s review: The iClone you know and love, but not quite the one you deserve
- 3 Blackberry KEYone Black Edition review: What the original KEYone should have been
- 4 Zolo Liberty+ review: The true wireless earbuds you've been waiting for
- 5 Samsung Gear IconX 2018 review: The path of least resistance makes for an easy upgrade
Latest News Articles
- HTC Desire 12 release date, price and specs
- Intel launches 800P Optane SSD
- Radeon Software Brings Faster, Smoother Performance to the World’s Most Popular eSports Titles, Thanks to AMD’s Project ReSX
- Logitech try to reinvent the keyboard experience with Logitech CRAFT
- First AMD Ryzen Desktop APUs Featuring World’s Most Powerful Graphics on a Desktop Processor
PCW Evaluation Team
The printer was convenient, produced clear and vibrant images and was very easy to use
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
- Interview - Netgear CEO Patrick Lo talks eSports, the NBN and why mesh is the smartphone of home Wi-Fi
- Everything You Can Do, I Can Do Better: Comparing The Google Home’s Assistant To Amazon Echo’s Alexa
- Samsung Galaxy S9+ review: A predictably-exellent flagship uplifted by a standout camera
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
Product Launch Showcase
- FTSenior Sharepoint DeveloperOther
- CCHadoop DeveloperQLD
- FTSalesforce Consultant - SMEVIC
- FTApplication Support ManagerOther
- CCBusiness AnalystVIC
- FTPlatform Architect - NetworksOther
- FTIT Project ManagerOther
- FTUI DesignerOther
- FTSenior Business AnalystOther
- CCStorage EngineerNSW
- CCInfrastructure System Specialist - BrisbaneVIC
- FTFull stack DeveloperNSW
- CCSenior Agile Business AnalystNSW
- FTSenior Security EngineerOther
- FTSecurity DesignerOther
- CCProject ManagerWA
- CCProgram DirectorNSW
- FTWireless Consulting EngineerNSW
- FTChange AnalystOther
- FTPrinciple Health Sales Executive - Enterprise IT Healthcare Perm - Syd / MelbNSW
- CCDeployment ManagerACT
- CCBusiness Analyst - Start JUNE 18QLD
- TPPMO AnalystACT
- FTBusiness AnalystWA